• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

One of my Longest Days

Help Support Ranchers.net:

WyomingRancher said:
Unbelievable... but am glad to hear your wife made it through the ordeal. You never know what to think about people, although you always hope the best.

Just the other day I was talking to a friend about self-defense. My friend had had someone try to break in during the night last summer while she laid on the floor waiting to shoot him. I don't think she would've been legal shooting him on her enclosed porch, and he left before he got in. I know I would have no problem shooting someone if I had to defend myself :wink: .

yeah, but a warning shot above the head is not illegal...... :lol: :lol:

Oldtimer said:
Frisco said:
Oldtimer we just learned today that Missy was the victim. We lived in Glasgow for 4 years. Missy is one of the first people we met. Her sons were in my son's grade at school and he spent a lot of time at with them or they were at our house. Missy and her husband were great to our son and made sure he felt welcome and had friends. What a loss. This sucks.

Yep-- Frisco-- Missy was a nice lady....I used to visit with her quite often when I took in marriage licenses to file...I'll never forget how proud of Grandpa her Dad was the day she had the twins...
Ironically- all the victims are parents of twins- as Scott and Suzanne have a set of twins too...Luckily my wife didn't make it out the door to continue the pattern (we have twins).... :roll:

Our prayers are with the Greenhagens' and Billingsleys'. I'll bet it makes your stomach clench when you think how close your wife was to it. It may not be very Christian, but I am glad that the shooter is dead. Marj Markle was right, a thing like this rocks a small community. We may be 333 miles away now, but my 17 year old son slipped away last night after we talked about Melissa and her family and cried.

Ot...my cousin ( ex-FBI) says that they --the law-- will ck all phone records coming in and out of the hospital, of the individuals shot/hurt and the 911 calls and calls into the local law office for ANY type of clues etc.

Hoppy might be getting a ' call back' call....IF....IF....IF it's even true he did call the local law those times he claimed!!

Bet he never counted on that!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

We send our condolences to Glasgow...I still know a few people in Glasgow and feel sincere sadness at such a loss of a fine community member. :cry:

As a few have said, there's some relief in that there will be no trial of this nut job. Life is precious and you never know when it can be taken...treasure all of it with your loved ones and make sure they know you love them each and every day.

And a few are very right on here -- the next few years are going to be very trying in terms of our second amendment right -- something that was very much needed and used that night at Glasgow. Stand up for our right and don't let the current political strategists take our rights away to keep and bear arms. No one can protect our families like ourselves.

Take care OT and hug your wife an extra time or two today and every day.....

mtn_90-- Been plenty of hugs.. :D Yesterday the hospital held a post traumatic stress debriefing-- and later afterward I had a nurse come up and give me a hug and say Thank You...I asked her what that was for- and she said "for all the years you gave us and the strong wife you have--she said I think I just got an insight to it"...

She explained that "many of the nurses- and personnel- especially the young ones were expressing their fears of ever being able to go back to work- and that Grandma was so calm and cool...That she had explained that after all the years of me getting called out all hours of the night- grabbing all the artillery I could carry- and not knowing if she would ever see me alive again she has realized you can't live always in fear...
And that its been 12-15 years since we had the last situation like this in the area..."

The young nurse also said I loved Bobbies answer when they asked everyone to explain what they were thinking during the lockdown and what their emotions were--- Grandma answered "I was thinking I only hope Law Enforcement does their job right and the family doesn't have to go thru a trial"!!!!
That sounds like Grandma!! :)

kolanuraven said:
WyomingRancher said:
Unbelievable... but am glad to hear your wife made it through the ordeal. You never know what to think about people, although you always hope the best.

Just the other day I was talking to a friend about self-defense. My friend had had someone try to break in during the night last summer while she laid on the floor waiting to shoot him. I don't think she would've been legal shooting him on her enclosed porch, and he left before he got in. I know I would have no problem shooting someone if I had to defend myself :wink: .

yeah, but a warning shot above the head is not illegal...... :lol: :lol:

Or between the legs!!

I have been reading this from the start.
I would have Posted Sooner BUT I never know what to say...
My condolences to Glasgow... and You and Yours

Side Note:
For 50 years I have and some times do Pack (No Permit)

OT, just read this now. I'm so glad God was watching over your wife. Scary stuff, to say the least. Give her a hug for me.

Apparently they ruled out the person who I thought it was...I know the guy had no ID on him- have not been able to locate any vehicle- and now they were going thru the list of nutcases that they'd had contact with or who had threatened someone in the area or the hospital....But I thought they had the right one and was pretty sure...
Makes it even wierder- hopefully prints can give them some more info....

If this truly is a transient- as some L.E. were speculating the other night--it makes it even more thankful that Scott poked a hole in him and they had a bloodtrail to follow-- as they had no idea WHO they were looking for...

No ID on slain shooting suspect
By The Gazette Staff

UPDATE 3 p.m. :
Authorities have been unable to identify the man who opened fire at a hospital, killing a woman and wounding two other people. The suspect later died.

Valley County Public Information Officer Samar Fay said in a statement today that Glasgow police are "not withholding the identity of the shooter; they actually don't know who he is."

Fay, who is also the editor at the Glasgow Courier newspaper, said she will speak with Glasgow Police Chief Lynn Erickson later today to determine whether any more details of the investigation will be released today.

Oldtimer said:
Apparently they ruled out the person who I thought it was...I know the guy had no ID on him- have not been able to locate any vehicle- and now they were going thru the list of nutcases that they'd had contact with or who had threatened someone in the area or the hospital....But I thought they had the right one and was pretty sure...

If this truly is a transient- as some L.E. were speculating the other night--it makes it even more thankful that Scott poked a hole in him and they had a bloodtrail to follow-- as they had no idea WHO they were looking for...

By The Gazette Staff

UPDATE 3 p.m. :
Authorities have been unable to identify the man who opened fire at a hospital, killing a woman and wounding two other people. The suspect later died.

Valley County Public Information Officer Samar Fay said in a statement today that Glasgow police are "not withholding the identity of the shooter; they actually don't know who he is."

Fay, who is also the editor at the Glasgow Courier newspaper, said she will speak with Glasgow Police Chief Lynn Erickson later today to determine whether any more details of the investigation will be released today.

My first guess was hopalong but I see he is still posting on here.

Bullhauler said:
Oldtimer said:

By The Gazette Staff

UPDATE 3 p.m. :

My first guess was hopalong but I see he is still posting on here.

Yep-- him and a couple others names from PB have been discussed...Especially after his babbling about contacting the Clerk of Court the other day :shock:

The details are slowly coming out--but after the critique yesterday- I'm almost certain my wife and many others would have been victims if Scott hadn't been out there shooting at the nut- and keeping him from getting access to the ER door until the cops/deputies got there who also exchanged fire with him...

Identity of Glasgow shooter still unknown
By MARC STERGIONIS • Tribune Staff Writer • January 20, 2009

GLASGOW — Authorities were still struggling Monday night to identify the gunman who killed a medic and held off police in two different shootouts before being killed last weekend.

Melissa Greenhagen had just completed her training as an emergency medical technician and returned from a call Saturday afternoon.

"She was the last to leave the ambulance and the barn," said Clay Berger, director of Emergency Medical Services at Frances Mahon Deaconess Hospital in Glasgow.

Taken by surprise, she was struck from behind by gunfire, he said. A man, still unidentified, was perched on top of a gravel mound just to the north of the hospital.

Scott Billingsley and his wife Susan, a nurse, rushed to help Greenhagen but also were hit by gunfire by the shooter, who had the advantage of an elevated position. A hospital spokesman refused to release a condition report on them Monday.

Two young city police officers responded right away.

"They drove right into here and protected" the shooting victims, Berger said.

"I don't know if seasoned officers would have rushed right in" to the middle of such a firefight, "but I know they prevented more shooting" injuries, he said.

Alarms continued rolling out of Glasgow as arriving law enforcement requested more and more resources.

Eventually 35-40 officers from a wide range of local, state and federal agencies were on the scene, about 50 yards from the hospital's emergency room exit.

But the gunman was "behind the gravel, popping up here, then popping up there. ... Officers were pinned down for 35 minutes," Berger said. "It was just surreal that someone would do this to volunteers."

Officers set up a good perimeter and were able to keep the shooter from getting into the main part of town, he said.

Apparently wounded, the suspect fled but dogs from K-9 units picked up his tracks and kept going after him.

While it was daylight Saturday when events first began unfolding, it wasn't until midnight that trackers from the Border Patrol and Bureau of Land Management found the suspect at a house — within view of the hospital.

Another firefight ensued, and the suspect was shot. Authorities refused to say whether he was shot by officers or committed suicide.

Kelly Dowell, a local waitress at Prairie Rose, was home alone during the shooting incident. Her husband and their kids were at the local basketball game, which got locked down, and she knew nothing about the shootouts until her mother called in alarm.

"It was a shock to lose a person like that," said Dowell. "You kind of think twice about locking your doors and knowing where your kids are. People (here) are sad."

Nick Dirkes, marketing director at the hospital, said law enforcement was contacted right away when shots were fired. Hospitals routinely have in place disaster plans outlining procedures for responding to a variety of medical and community incidents.

While Saturday's shootings became the first homicide in some 15 years in Glasgow, the "process went according to plan," he said. "I'm very pleased with the response."

Dirkes happened to be attending a hospital party when the incident began and Randy Holom, hospital CEO, informed him of the shooting events.

"It's all been very overwhelming," he said. "I would never have believed something like this could happen in Glasgow."
http://www.greatfallstribune.com/article/20090120/NEWS01/901200303&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

Greenhagen's life was filled with service for hometown
By KIM SKORNOGOSKI • Tribune Staff Writer • January 20, 2009

For shooting victim Melissa Greenhagen, training to be an emergency medical technician was just one more way for her to serve her hometown of Glasgow.

The 37-year-old mother of four was shot and killed in a sniper-style attack Saturday outside the ambulance barn as she was walking to her car. She'd just returned from an emergency call.

Greenhagen's goal was to enter the medical field, and she was almost there, said Clay Berger, director of Emergency Medical Services at Francis Mahon Deaconess Hospital in Glasgow.

"She was a tremendous person," Valley County Commissioner Dave Pippin said Monday. "It's going to be tough. She's really going to be missed."

Greenhagen's community involvement centered around her children, friends said. Her oldest twin boys are juniors in high school, while her daughter and youngest son are in middle school.

Hours before she was killed, Greenhagen was at Glasgow's hockey rink, setting up concessions for weekend games.

Hi-Line Hockey Association Vice President Johnny Peterson said that Greenhagen has been actively involved in the group for the last four or five years. Her husband Craig Greenhagen was with their youngest son in Miles City at a hockey game when Melissa Greenhagen was shot.

She also recently took a position on the Boy Scout's district board and dedicated many hours to raising money and working with local kids.

"She wanted to contribute and wanted to be involved in the community," Pippin said. In December, she was certified as an EMT, which was just one more way, she thought she could make a difference, Pippin said.

Coworkers described Greenhagen as bubbly and funny, hardworking and efficient.

In November, she was elected to her second term as Valley County clerk of District Court.

Commission Chairman Bruce Peterson said Greenhagen had already made tough decisions but always stepped up to the plate to get the work done.

Last week, county employees met and were told about a report they had to complete. Peterson said commissioners suggested they take bets on which department would get the work done second.

"Melissa said, 'second, why second?' and we told her because we already knew that she would be first," Peterson said. "Valley County is a good place to work, and she's a major reason why it is. She was always friendly and had a nice sense of humor.

"It's just such a sad loss."

Church members and others who worked and volunteered with Greenhagen met Monday night to take shifts cooking meals and discuss what else could be done to help her family.

Bell Mortuary is handling the funeral arrangements and expects to release an obituary Tuesday.
http://www.greatfallstribune.com/article/20090120/NEWS01/901200302

Several from here have contacted me regarding the funeral services...Sounds like many EMT's from around the state are coming to pay tribute...
They'll never get half the folks in the Church...
The shooter has been identified thru fingerprints altho the identity has not been released as they are still trying to notify relatives....

Melissa Gerese (Fischer) Greenhagen
Tuesday, January 20th 2009

NAME: Melissa Gerese (Fischer) Greenhagen AGE: 37
DATELINE: Glasgow, Montana
DATE OF DEATH: Saturday, January 17, 2009
PLACE OF DEATH: Frances Mahon Deaconess Hospital in Glasgow, Montana
SERVICE: Saturday, January 24, 2009 at 11a.m. at the Evangelical Church in Glasgow,
Montana
INTERMENT: Private Interment
MORTUARY IN CHARGE: Bell Mortuary of Glasgow, MT.

Melissa Gerese Greenhagen, age 37, passed away on Saturday, January 17, 2009 in Glasgow, Montana.

Melissa was born on June 5th, 1971 in Glasgow, the daughter of Myrel and Mary Fischer.
On October 6th, 1991 she married Craig Greenhagen in Glasgow. They have been married 17 years and have four children, Quinton and Coby, age 16, Krissy age 15, and Craiger age 12.

Melissa was currently serving as Valley County Clerk of Court. She was on the board of the Fort Peck Theatre and was in many plays. She served in all areas of Hi-Line Youth Hockey, with the Boy Scouts as a Troop Committee Chair, Venture leader, Popcorn Colonel, Wood Badge Trained, Order of the Arrow, or Ordeal Member, with the Girl Scouts, soccer, and baseball. She was also active as an EMT, former Scottie Care Board Member, and active with Combined Campaign. She loved to sing, enjoyed camping, hiking, and hunting, and loved to have family gatherings.

She was a "care giver", always thinking of others. Melissa said, "There's always something good in everyone." She always put her family first.

Missy was preceded in death by an infant brother and sister Michael Martin and Michelle.

Melissa (Fischer) Greenhagen is survived by her husband Craig, children Quinton,
Coby, Krissy and Craiger, all of the family home in Glasgow, her parents Myrel and Mary Fischer of Glasgow, her brother Mike Fischer and his wife Doreen and their children Errion and Garrith of Shakopee, Minnesota, father and mother-in-law Jerry and Betty Greenhagen of Glasgow, sister-in-law Lona of Glasgow, her children Jerami and Jarrett Brandt, Janson Palmer, Grandpa and Grandma Tony and Leonie (Babe) Pehan, numerous aunts, uncles, and cousins.

Glad your wife was so lucky, and assessed the situation as she did, OT.

Bullhauler, that was in poor taste and unnecessary.

Cal said:

Yeah and I suppose all the crap Hopalong has said about Oldtimer and his family has been in good taste.

Bullhauler said:
Cal said:

Yeah and I suppose all the crap Hopalong has said about Oldtimer and his family has been in good taste.

I must admit.....that thought ran through my mind.

Not him actually doing the crime, as he'd be to chicken shite for that.

I remember him braggin about all the calling about and checkin' up on OT and then lo and behold......it's OT's wife that was involved and the Clerk of Court, the actual person Hoppy bragged about talking to that was killed!!!

It makes ya wonder......................................

[
My first guess was hopalong but I see he is still posting on here.[/quote]

Yep-- him and a couple others names from PB have been discussed...Especially after his babbling about contacting the Clerk of Court the other day :shock:

I am sure that a few posters on a forum, like this were prime suspects because they catch oldtimer and his cohorts in lies all the time, But then who better to spread false and malicious rumors that oldtimer and a small band of malcontents on here!
LMFAO on that thought,

Just sunk to a new low oldtimer. :roll: :roll: :roll:

OT talked to our county attorney today to find out if anyone else planned to come on Saturday. Our Clerk of Courts is going along with another person, going to see if I can carpool with them.

Latest posts