• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Is This the Middle of June?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

webfoot

Reaction score
It is 7:00 PM. I had to change the irrigation. I am on a small field behind the shop. Even with 12 hour sets I flood the corral. It is 47 degrees with a stiff breeze and light rain. Sure doesn't feel like mid June. And to all those guys in Baker County who cut hay a couple days ago, Thank You we needed the rain.

Looking out the window there is fresh snow on Little Lookout. That is about 6,300 feet tall. Snow is probably down to 5,500 feet or so.

Went to a horse sale in Powell last saturday, it was 90 there. Headed home, spent the night in Dillon and it was 34 that morning.

Typically June is not swimming weather nor good haying because the grass hasn't headed out yet. But this year our lack of rain, hot weather in April and May and drying winds, we are going to start haying at least a week earlier than usual. We also want to get as much as we can before the grasshoppers get it all.

Went to a horse sale in Powell last saturday, it was 90 there. Headed home, spent the night in Dillon and it was 34 that morning.
What horse sale, Nicky? Tell us more. Did you get a new horse?

As for temperature, we thought it was going to freeze last night. Swinging temperatures are certainly hard on livestock. Next week we will be in the 90's. Yesterday we turned the heat back on.

Typically June is not swimming weather nor good haying because the grass hasn't headed out yet. But this year our lack of rain, hot weather in April and May and drying winds, we are going to start haying at least a week earlier than usual. We also want to get as much as we can before the grasshoppers get it all.
Too much rain has actually been a problem for hay production in a lot of Texas. We should be working on a second cutting by now, but still haven't even finished our first cutting. Still a lot of lowland that I can't get into because it's too wet, while the upland sandy areas are drying out quickly and actually need a rain again.

Don't have a lot of grasshoppers yet, but I'm reading about them so much that I worry we'll have a big crop of them later. So...either the weather, work, worms, or grasshoppers - there's always too much to do and I always have something to complain about this time of year. LOL

At least we can't complain about the cattle market. Unless...you're waiting for calves to cheapen up enough to buy some. High calves with high interest is setting up to be a wreck for somebody down the road. I think I'll not play that game.

It was 36 here yesterday morning. Supposed to be 88 today and then it goes above 90 until the middle of next week. Saturday and Sunday they are predicting 97. That is way too hot for me. I forecast me sitting in front of the AC.

I'm waiting on my late Winter calves to get to 550#.That time can't come too soon either.I think the bottom might fall out of this market.I'd sure hate to be buying 3 weight calves right now hoping to make a ton of money right after Thanksgiving.If you are,your Christmas may not come this year.Hope I'm 100% wrong about that.

Too much rain has actually been a problem for hay production in a lot of Texas. We should be working on a second cutting by now, but still haven't even finished our first cutting. Still a lot of lowland that I can't get into because it's too wet, while the upland sandy areas are drying out quickly and actually need a rain again.

Don't have a lot of grasshoppers yet, but I'm reading about them so much that I worry we'll have a big crop of them later. So...either the weather, work, worms, or grasshoppers - there's always too much to do and I always have something to complain about this time of year. LOL

At least we can't complain about the cattle market. Unless...you're waiting for calves to cheapen up enough to buy some. High calves with high interest is setting up to be a wreck for somebody down the road. I think I'll not play that game.
It is tricky getting enough rain for the pastures to keep growing and still get into the low ground to hay. 😩

What horse sale, Nicky? Tell us more. Did you get a new horse?

As for temperature, we thought it was going to freeze last night. Swinging temperatures are certainly hard on livestock. Next week we will be in the 90's. Yesterday we turned the heat back on.
Wyoming All Breed Gaited Horse sale. No, waaay out of our price range. Top seller was $49,000 :O One I wanted went for 10,200 without us bidding.

Latest posts