• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

sale results SAV

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I have worked with Kelly Schaff on advertising, and if his cow herd is anything like the way he does business, it's top-notch. The guy really pays attention and knows what's going on. It is especially notable because of the number of cattle that he runs.

If rumors were truth they would have run out of customers about the third or fourth year :roll: The feed thing also strikes me as odd. It (feed) is available to all breeders to use and most do. The ones complaining should just buy some of that super feed and grow and sell there own bulls. It is hard to sell something without a willing buyer and they manage to sell several bulls every year.

but it would be interesting to take those cows and run them out all year like most of us do then see how big that calf is at 205 days. i'm not taking anything away from SAV but it would be interesting...

Justin said:
but it would be interesting to take those cows and run them out all year like most of us do then see how big that calf is at 205 days. i'm not taking anything away from SAV but it would be interesting...

One would assume that is what most of the buyers of his bulls do. Aparently they must do pretty good.

The overall majority of calves go to a feedyard at some point in time. Arguably the most expensive part of a calf's life.

If a calf doesn't have the background and/or genetics to process feed efficiently and swiftly and convert it into beef, they are a bust.

There is not nearly enough, nor do we have the quality of pastureland in the U.S. to grass finish the amount of beef produced.

There is a balance.

3 M L & C said:
Justin said:

One would assume that is what most of the buyers of his bulls do. Aparently they must do pretty good.

i'm talking about the bulls in the SAV sale if they were run in the real world from start to weaning time.

I know a little about running SAV bulls around here. I saw several bulls come into our country. The man spent a lot of money on them. Darn sure good lookin bulls. He runs out on some pretty rough country in the summer and didn't take the bulls out but left them close to home in some good pasture for the summer. They still fell apart even with supplementing them. I went the following spring to look at the calves out of the bulls. They were nice but he wasn't impressed and the SAV bulls in his bull pen were the poorest. I think Kelly has a hell of a cow herd and keen eye for cattle all it comes down to is wether the cattle will work in ones own environment. To each his or her own.

Howdy1 said:
WVGenetics, how do you know they don't write the checks? I am not picking a quarrel but you made the statement like you know it for a fact. I have always heard that, not only about Schaffs but other bull breeders also. I was just wondering where you got your info because it interests me.

I was told by someone that SAV bulls bring that money because if you are lucky and choose the correct one then the semen sales make up for it. Granted that is one or two bulls out of 500 per year. I know alot of seedstock guys that go up there and get herd sires and I would bet they are forking over the $$$$.

I was not my intent to start a quarrel, rumors, or anything of the sort, nor was my statement intended to be derogatory of SAV. I know nothing about them other than what is available in print and on the internet. I was only making a general statement about the incidence of inflated sale averages in seedstock sales. SAV has one of the highest if not the highest sale average in the country and sells some very high priced bulls but they all sell for a lot in my book and there are a large number of them so it is more difficult to inflate their average with just a couple 6 figure bulls. Most folks that engage in that type of activity probably don't last very long and they have been around a long time. They are making money in the cattle business and I commend them for that, but we each have our own convictions and preferences. Mine do not align with theirs and that is fine (My environment will not and probably never will cost effectively generate 4 digit 205 day weights)...to each their own. Certainly their genetics must work for some folks as they continue to sell them like crazy, but my questions remains "At what cost?"

I look forward to this discussion every year. Here's my thought every year I see their weaning weights. If that much creep feed is good for bulls wouldn't it make sense to push the heifer calves that hard too? Does anyone here think that he weans 1,000 pound heifer calves? I would guess the cow probably raises the heifer calves and the feed truck raises the bulls. I don't have a problem putting bulls on a short term test to ratio the best gainers but does it have to start at birth? How can that be good for an animal that God designed to eat grass most of its life.

I can't argue with his ability to market cattle though. Good luck to those who buy them. I wonder how many make it to their second season as breeders?

Big Swede said:
I look forward to this discussion every year. Here's my thought every year I see their weaning weights. If that much creep feed is good for bulls wouldn't it make sense to push the heifer calves that hard too? Does anyone here think that he weans 1,000 pound heifer calves? I would guess the cow probably raises the heifer calves and the feed truck raises the bulls. I don't have a problem putting bulls on a short term test to ratio the best gainers but does it have to start at birth? How can that be good for an animal that God designed to eat grass most of its life.

I can't argue with his ability to market cattle though. Good luck to those who buy them. I wonder how many make it to their second season as breeders?

This argument get s a little silly every year as the bulls 205 day weights are in the 800# range. Some of them being born in Jan or Feb that are the 1000# bull coming off the cow are way beyond 205 days.

I beg to differ Jake. For example Lot 2 weighed 77 pounds at birth and his 205 day weight was 988 pounds, so he gained 911 pounds in 205 days. According to my calculator that's 4.44 pounds per day. I don't know their operation but I'm pretty sure their heifers don't get fed that hard.

I was on the BOD of a bull test for many years. 4.4 ADG for bulls on a pretty hot ration was a pretty good rate of gain for a fairly short test. Still saw ruined bulls that had been fed hard before even coming to the test. Can't even imagine what you would have to do to a bull to get that rate of gain for a 205 weight.

i wonder every year why it takes so long for their sale results to be posted. most angus sale results are posted the next day, two/three days at the most. usually takes a couple weeks before SAV's are up.

Justin said:
i wonder every year why it takes so long for their sale results to be posted. most angus sale results are posted the next day, two/three days at the most. usually takes a couple weeks before SAV's are up.

Takes them longer to count all that money!

eatbeef said:
Justin said:

Takes them longer to count all that money!

perhaps :wink:

Angus 62 said:
I was on the BOD of a bull test for many years. 4.4 ADG for bulls on a pretty hot ration was a pretty good rate of gain for a fairly short test. Still saw ruined bulls that had been fed hard before even coming to the test. Can't even imagine what you would have to do to a bull to get that rate of gain for a 205 weight.

Is that the real 205 weight or adjusted?

Big Swede said:
I beg to differ Jake. For example Lot 2 weighed 77 pounds at birth and his 205 day weight was 988 pounds, so he gained 911 pounds in 205 days. According to my calculator that's 4.44 pounds per day. I don't know their operation but I'm pretty sure their heifers don't get fed that hard.

That's picking a pretty large outlier out of the group. That calf gained almost a pound a day more over his lifetime than most everything else in the sale. I'm not denying the bulls are fed hard, Schaffs are paid well to feed them that hard. Why would they change now?

Just because the cattle are raised in that environment doesn't mean that is the only environment they work in.

Jake said:
Big Swede said:

That's picking a pretty large outlier out of the group. That calf gained almost a pound a day more over his lifetime than most everything else in the sale. I'm not denying the bulls are fed hard, Schaffs are paid well to feed them that hard. Why would they change now?

Just because the cattle are raised in that environment doesn't mean that is the only environment they work in.

That's correct. Plus the bulls pushed this hard aren't for the normal cattle producer. They're targeted to sell to purebred breeders wanting to improve growth genetics.

http://www.angus.org/AngusProductions/SaleReportsdtl.aspx?eid=DgAAAJ8aSAIOQO%2fvo1MPStntPAo%3d&il=DgAAAEQrujU5dwVoL18j9OafTcE%3d

Latest posts