• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ranch help needed in SE Montana

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jingo2 said:
leanin' H said:
According to BC I guess I must be a low wage earner! :roll: There's a whole lot more to life than cash. I've been making 40 thousand or less my entire life. The job i have now pays me more than I have ever made and comes with insurance. Never had that either. But too many people think they are owed something. They want a starter mansion right as soon as they get married. They want a boat and toys and vacations all over the place. And they have absolutely no idea what work is or saving or responsibility. They want instant gratification! Forty thousand dollars a year is a lot of money if you have half a brain with it! But paying someone that small amount of money and excepting them to work a little is asking to much I guess. :shock: Heck, I know guys who don't make 40 thousand themselves per year. How they gonna hire someone for 60? And since I have walked more than a mile in the shoes of a "Low wage earner" as you defined, I guess you won't have a problem with me calling out your logic. Whats wrong with the world isnt the amount of money being paid! It's the lack of work ethic, the lack of responsibility, the wanting instead of needing and the credit mentality that way too many people have. Too many people are scared to do real work. Or they are just plain ass spoiled! BC, I have pretty much agreed with everything you post from politics to cows, but your statement here is one I sure disagree with. If you want to blame "low wages" on the reason people don't want to work a ranch job maybe you've lost touch with use bottome dwellers. The real reason is folks have gotten soft and WONT WORK ANYMORE! Now you can start kicking my butt back! :wink: :lol:

Isn't this Broke Cowboy employed by a Gov't?

So, he's a goverment employee with a secured income....

Just sayin......................................

Well Jingo - perhaps you do not know - so I will tell what I have not told many - and will not mention it again.

Probably the last time I will address you as you are a piece of schitte at best.

Yup got a government job - and despite being told many times I have a safe job someone actually tried to seriously hurt me the other day - and I spent a few days in a dark room with a very sore head and upper body.

Going home for three weeks next Sunday - reconstructive dental work - will not put me out but will keep me quiet for a week - then cut some wood for next winter and back here until July - then home for six months and apparently off to Afghanistan as a forward air controller - wife does not know - she will flip - she figures they die too fast

I volunteered and she will be very unhappy when she finds out.

I also have been away from home for two solid years - living in a part of the world that does not really always like white, Christian folks that wear blue. I work in Israel, Syria and Lebanon a bit.

Where I work you will never see a tourist - if they show up they are usually lost, in trouble and want to get out as fast as they can.

Wife runs what little we have left at home.

Got two vacations 14 days each since I have been here - spent Christmas at home last year with the family - missed the other two.

Buried my Step Mom two weeks ago - I could not get to the funeral, buried my war heroe Uncle last Nov - could not get to that one either.

Lost a few friends over here - in the war next door - and could not do much more than see them off on an airplane.

So I have security - lots of it - mostly from the point of a few rifles that I can call upon - you see, my job keeps me unarmed and in the public eye.

So I always hope they can come in time.

It is fun running around being a potential target.

When I am at home I am actually an F-18 pilot - which tends to take me from home far too much as well.

But I bought my outfit - no one gave me a penny and that is a fact - built it up from scratch under the headlights of my truck because my day job took me all over the world and left me little time for family and land.

Come on over and earn your extra money too - I think I can get you a job no prob. Just not sure if you can hack it. Not easy being on the front line - by yourself, alone, unarmed and often wondering what the heck you are doing.

Last time I will adress you so if I do again someone please remind me I am shunning this piece of schitte. I am sure you will not mind Jingo - after all I am a government employee.

Not looking for a pity party - but my government job really pays well - especially after my 47% tax.

I am only one of thousands - we all have a neat story or two as well - but never for here.

I am 55 years old (That tidbit will surprize a few folks) and in darned good shape for an old fellow - I do it for the men and women that stand on my left and right - my experience still trumps their youth.

If I have offended others then I apologize - think I will take a break from this place - not often someone can set me off like this.

Have fun all

BC

Rocky said:
Cowboy, You are absolutely right from your position. Now you need to look at the problem from the Ranchers [employers] position. If you do you will see that it is not so simple.
~Rocky

If you read carefully - I did just that

Cheers

BC

God bless you BC...keep you and yours safe and don't stay away for very long, I enjoy all your posts

Broke Cowboy said:
jingo2 said:
leanin' H said:
According to BC I guess I must be a low wage earner! :roll: There's a whole lot more to life than cash. I've been making 40 thousand or less my entire life. The job i have now pays me more than I have ever made and comes with insurance. Never had that either. But too many people think they are owed something. They want a starter mansion right as soon as they get married. They want a boat and toys and vacations all over the place. And they have absolutely no idea what work is or saving or responsibility. They want instant gratification! Forty thousand dollars a year is a lot of money if you have half a brain with it! But paying someone that small amount of money and excepting them to work a little is asking to much I guess. :shock: Heck, I know guys who don't make 40 thousand themselves per year. How they gonna hire someone for 60? And since I have walked more than a mile in the shoes of a "Low wage earner" as you defined, I guess you won't have a problem with me calling out your logic. Whats wrong with the world isnt the amount of money being paid! It's the lack of work ethic, the lack of responsibility, the wanting instead of needing and the credit mentality that way too many people have. Too many people are scared to do real work. Or they are just plain ass spoiled! BC, I have pretty much agreed with everything you post from politics to cows, but your statement here is one I sure disagree with. If you want to blame "low wages" on the reason people don't want to work a ranch job maybe you've lost touch with use bottome dwellers. The real reason is folks have gotten soft and WONT WORK ANYMORE! Now you can start kicking my butt back! :wink: :lol:

Well Jingo - perhaps you do not know - so I will tell what I have not told many - and will not mention it again.

Probably the last time I will address you as you are a piece of schitte at best.

Yup got a government job - and despite being told many times I have a safe job someone actually tried to seriously hurt me the other day - and I spent a few days in a dark room with a very sore head and upper body.

Going home for three weeks next Sunday - reconstructive dental work - will not put me out but will keep me quiet for a week - then cut some wood for next winter and back here until July - then home for six months and apparently off to Afghanistan as a forward air controller - wife does not know - she will flip - she figures they die too fast

I also have been away from home for two solid years - living in a part of the world that does not really always like white, Christian folks that wear blue. I work in Israel, Syria and Lebanon a bit.

Where I work you will never see a tourist - if they show up they are usually lost, in trouble and want to get out as fast as they can.

Got two vacations 14 days each since I have been here - spent Christmas at home last year with the family - missed the other two.

Buried my Step Mom two weeks ago - I could not get to the funeral, buried my war heroe Uncle last Nov - could not get to that one either.

Lost a few friends over here - in the war next door - and could not do much more than see them off on an airplane.

So I have security - lots of it - mostly from the point of a few rifles that I can call upon - you see, my job keeps me unarmed and in the public eye.

When I am at home I am actually an F-18 pilot - which tends to take me from home far too much as well.

But I bought my outfit - no one gave me a penny and that is a fact - built it up from scratch under the headlights of my truck because my day job took me all over the world and left me little time for family and land.

Come on over and earn your extra money too - I think I can get you a job no prob. Just not sure if you can hack it. Not easy being on the front line - by yourself, alone, unarmed and often wondering what the heck you are doing.

Last time I will adress you so if I do again someone please remind me I am shunning this piece of schitte. I am sure you will not mind Jingo - after all I am a government employee.

Not looking for a pity party - but my government job really pays well - especially after my 47% tax.

I am only one of thousands - we all have a neat story or two as well - but never for here.

I am 55 years old (That tidbit will surprize a few folks) and in darned good shape for an old fellow - I do it for the men and women that stand on my left and right - my experience still trumps their youth.

If I have offended others then I apologize - think I will take a break from this place - not often someone can set me off like this.

Have fun all

BC

Geezzz....you sure get upset with the FACTS.

I bet you're a real bad ass when someone makes something up then, huh???

Honestly, for all I know you could be in your EZ Boy in Iowa City typing all that macho-hero stuff.....

But I sure hit center it seems..............

jingo2 said:
Broke Cowboy said:
jingo2 said:

Have fun all

BC

Geezzz....you sure get upset with the FACTS.

I bet you're a real bad ass when someone makes something up then, huh???

Honestly, for all I know you could be in your EZ Boy in Iowa City typing all that macho-hero stuff.....

But I sure hit center it seems..............

Hey jackass. How about you crawl back under the rock you crawled out from under and suck your thumb some more! You add nothing to this site but stupidity and hate. The first time you say anything intelligent will be a welcome change. Until then, just go away! :roll: Is that plain enough for you Jingo2? You wouldnt make a pimple on a soilder's backside.

I've worked for wages at a few places over the years-I think most outfits pay what they can afford-lets face it there's not alot of extra to spread around-the bigger outfits pay pretty decent wages not everybody wantsd to be a righand. If you can get a decent wage and a house etc provided it's not all that bad-there's alot to be said for doing what you like for a living-$50/hr in a job you hate isn't always the best. Alot of people work all their lives to do what they want when they retire-most of uson ranchers.net get to do what they want every day the sun rises.Broke Cowboy your brutally frankwhich I found rubs people the wrong waybutkeep it up-too much equivocating goes on in this world.

Yanuck said:
how many owners on Ranchers that have employees let them run cows of their own?
I haven't but that was big in the discussion with the last prospect. For the right staff it would be well worth considering.

Yanuck said:
how many owners on Ranchers that have employees let them run cows of their own?
Don't employ anyone now but in the old country we always allowed employed men to keep their own stock - was a few head of sheep rather than cattle. I think it's a great idea and wouldn't hesitate to do it with cows here if I was employing. It's a lower cost perk to provide than many and it ensure you get workers interested in stock with the bonus that they pay more attention to all the stock. It's a win win in my book.

BC, thank you for what you do so that I may have my freedoms in
this country. Those of us 'regulars' here know what you do, so don't let
some smart alec run you off. You are a very valuable voice here.
I think it is an honor that you take the time to post here. I think I speak for many when I say we respect
your point of view andI the best
I can say about Jingo2 is that he/she/it could leave and not be missed.

Sorry about what happened to you. I'm sure we have no idea what
all you do go through. Good luck healing up.

Again: :tiphat:

Faster horses said:
I think it is an honor that you take the time to post here. I think I speak for many when I say we respect

What Faster said times two.

God's Speed BC

Triangle Bar said:
Faster horses said:

What Faster said times two.

God's Speed BC

:nod: :nod: :tiphat:

per said:
We have to compete with the oil patch $350 to $1000 per day salaries. No amount of perks can compete with that. I get some of those guys on their time off but mostly it is just the wife and myself now. The bright side is she is a heck of a worker and makes up for my deficiencies.

Per if you had workers none of them would measure up to the wife. You also could not grumble at them and still have the benefits like the wife supplies. :oops: Also when one does grumble kissin and making up is worth it all even if there is no check at the end of the day.

One more thing now days there are to many broke back mountain workers wanting to do the west and change it to be like the movie.

I worked for a wage for many years, was always told I could use equipment to farm my own land if i rented some. my interest was cattle, so i went in that direction... then I got the opportunity to buy a 1/4 section, then added in another 240 acres, the cow herd grew and all the sudden, boss man wanted me to rent the equipment... 4 years of that, and i decided a change was in order... I was probably one of the highest paid men in the area, but I was under paid for the amount I was expected to do. not to be bragging, but I knew more about what was going on there than the owner. I joked that I only kept him around for payday !!

now I am off doing my own thing and labor/equipment swapping with a neighbor. I even sell hay for my old boss....kinda fun to pull that commission money out of his check!

so I see both sides of this deal... and yes, $40,000 is no kings salery here, $30, is near poverty level

I find this thread interesting to say the least. I'm not a land owner, and wasn't raised in the ag industry. Hell, I never sat on a horse til I was a 19 year old soldier!

Once I started riding, I was bit hard by the bug. I dayworked on weekends and on leave. Anything to get an introduction to the cowboy world.

Since leaving the Army, after returning to Afghanistan in 2002, I've done nothing but cowboy for wages and started colts. I've worked for as little as $900 a month (a certain unnamed outfit in Northern Montana that likes to hire out of staters, since Montanans won't work for them anymore), simply because I wanted to work in Montana. I left a cowboy job in Idaho, making $1800 a month to take that job too.

The most I've ever earned in this business was $2100 a month, and that was because I was riding colts and got paid by the ride. I worked my tail off to make that.

I'd be satisfied with a $1800-2000 a month job, with no benefits, even if I didn't get to run some of my own cows. All I ask for is housing and beef and to run a couple of my own horses. I've got a solid resume and great references. So, if help is so hard to find.....why am I struggling to find work right now?

I did get the lead that Faster Horses was talking about, but that's literally, the ONLY solid lead I've had in six weeks.

I normally use the Montana and Wyoming WorkSource sites, ranchworldads, this site, the Capital Press, and the Western Livestock Journal...Am I looking in the wrong places?

The other day, I spoke to a fella at Colorado's workservices. He pointed out that everyone was using foreign workers. Sure, they work for less....I worked a place in Utah that had 9 Peruvians.....because they couldn't get white guys to work for them. Camp was 90 miles from town, you got 4 days a month off, and there was no running water or power at the camps...I accomplished more, by myself, than those nine Peruvians did together....Why shouldn't I get paid a little more (I was making $200 a month more than the lowest paid Peruvian....I was getting $1600 a month)?

I don't know a buckaroo one who wouldn't be happy to work for $1800-2000 a month...That's less than the aforementioned $40,000 a year, even after you add in the cost of housing, utilities and beef.........I know five or six guys, all with good experience and references, that are looking for work right now.

Lot of good thought provoking post...
Right now , I would love to have a farm or ranch job paying $40K with any kind of perk. Ive been running an A/C business for 27 yrs now and thats about to come to an end , not by my choice. So , if anybody needs a hand in the North Texas area let me know. I started in the A/C business when I was 21 so I dont no much else , grew up a Bricklayers son so Im not scared of hard work. Kids are grown and on their own and the Mrs has a great job. I have experence with horses and can ride , but couldnt rope a post , can drive a tractor and could weld 20 yrs. ago. Have some cattle knowledge but you will have to watch me pretty close for a while. I'll bring honesty , dependability and will give you everything you pay for and then some. PM me if you or anybody you know has anything.

Latest posts