• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Wow...Old School breeding, LOL

Help Support Ranchers.net:

PPRM

Reaction score
I have a Little Barred bred Mare...most in the NW have never heard of that, a lot of my California Friends have and say it is really good breeding.....So, I was doing some research and had no idea how far back that goes....I think she is a 13 year old Great Granddaughter.

I will need to dig up my AQHA Pin number to do more research

Barred-

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/barred

PPRM

Hmmm,interesting...who knew Three bars was a thoroughbred,well maybe lots but not me. Greg loves anything with Threebar breeding in it,thats prob where his love of overos comes from.

Mrs.Greg said:
Hmmm,interesting...who knew Three bars was a thoroughbred,well maybe lots but not me. Greg loves anything with Threebar breeding in it,thats prob where his love of overos comes from.

Three bars was a thorougbred- but its accepted by most QH folks that if they would have wanted to register him in the AQHA registry he would have been accepted because he fit the guidelines....

He probably is in the background of more quarter horses than any other horse- and is included in the Foundation QH's list of foundation sires....

Having 3 Bars on the papers anymore doesn't mean much.
He is probably in the bloodlines of horses more than any other one
sire.

Yep, he was a TB.

We have an old horse that has Three Bars right on the registration
papers. He is tatooed, was raced in Arizona and he looks exactly like the
pictures of Three Bars when he was older. This horse is royally
bred. He is 22 now, and we call him "Snickers". He was a jam
up heeling horse and made a great a kids horse
these last few years. He is a good one. Too bad they have to
get old.

ME AGAIN.

I found the papers on the 22-year old horse and they just
are too good not to share here; especially when this horse
turned into a kids horse in his later years:

Sire:Jetahead out of Jet Deck and Par Liz Bar. Par Liz Bar is a direct
daughter of Three Bars. Jet Deck is by Moon Deck (all of these
horses are on the papers.)

Dam: Shea Rocket by El Charro Rocket by Rocket Bar.

Raised by Lowery Land and Livestock, Sun City AZ.

I just thought it was so interesting to read all these "Who's Who"
in horse racing on this old boys papers. Now I'll get a picture of him
just for fun and post it here.

Down in this neck of the cactus patch Three Bars blood was in everything including the cowdog and I'm not sure I don't have some relatives with Three Bars breeding!

Last couple decades moved past the "Deck" breedings to a lot of Dash for Cash lines and for the ranch horses, you see a lot of Skipper W, Nebraska's claim to fame in Two Eyed Jack and of course the Texas influenced cutting horse bloodlines.

Not too terrible long ago I read an article in some slick glossy about how many of the top roping and rodeo horses on the pro circuit were grade horses with non-descript bloodlines ---or some of those "I think he's got a little of this or that in him."

or "out of Texas by truck"...
I read an article in some slick glossy about how many of the top roping and rodeo horses on the pro circuit were grade horses with non-descript bloodlines ---or some of those "I think he's got

Might have been awhile back, but many of the current PRCA,UCRA, & USTRC horses have real strong backgrounds. Alot of Driftwood, Two eyed Jack, and various "Doc" bred ponies being used. And the prices they're bringin would change the sayin to "out of Texas by Limo'" :wink:

And then there's them that want the Hancock line brought back --
they are needin' their butts bucked off more often I guess :) :)

Hancock horses are tough and were popular when horses needed to
be USED. I don't think we have enough USE for those kind of horses
any more.

Our daughter was given a nice young horse. Hancock and Driftwood
bred. He didn't work out. Bucked her off and hurt her bad. Thing was,
she had gathered a pasture with him, had ridden him all morning
when he decided to blow up. Those are the kind I really don't like.
Cold-backed horses in the morning you can get by. Not these that
sneak up on you.

A guy with a lot of riding bought him and likes him. However, he
bucked him off at a branding too. :shock: :shock: :shock:

With that breeding, it is like the spaghetti sauce, "IT'S IN THERE."

I know I haven't posted for awhile but since you were on the subject of three bars and old line this is a yearling colt I bought a couple of months ago. I have to change his name as I am not too fond of it

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/splash+n+inspiration

And then there's them that want the Hancock line brought back --
I really don't think that it left. It's still being used by a number of large outfits in their broodmare bands; Burnett Ranch, Four 6's, Fulton Ranch, Traingle Ranches to name a few. That along with the Gray Badger mares have kept "bone" in their stock.
I also see a number of breeders using Hancock broodmares on their roping stock. Seems to be real popular in the plains states.

I really don't think that it left. It's still being used by a number of large outfits in their broodmare bands;

I know you're right Hooks-- that's what made me think of it. Knew an outfit was exclusively looking for mares with Hancock breeding trying to breed back in as much of the line as they oould. And for good reason --

Gray Badger -- had forgotten about that one. Isn't there a rep for buck in that line too? I owned one with some GB blood --but he didn't buck. He was just too ignorant to keep on breathing.

Yes ma'am the Grey Badgers were known to get humpy.
But there again, they were better as broodmare sires. More specifically, Grey Badger II mares showed up again as foundations for working stock. Best example would be Sugar Badger, the mother of Peppy San Badger (bred by the Fulton Ranch).
Burnett Ranch still uses a lot of Grey Badger II & Grey Badger III crosses.
I have one myself, but he shows more of a temper than a tendency to buck.

Faster horses said:
WOW, that is about a WHO'S WHO of famous horses!!

Welcome back, copper. Stick around for awhile!

Thanks FH for the welcome back. I got a great deal on this colt so could not pass him up. I see alot of these names now but never this close up on such a young horse.

hi all
just thought i'd drop my 2 cents in on this breeding topic

i personaly like the hancock,grey badger,driftwood lines and even with a little thoughor bred trown in the mix
i belive if you start those tougher kind of horses out right and don't pick fights with them they make the better using kind of horses that you can ride 50 miles in a day and then ride him again 2 days later and he won't quit you when you need him the most
but if you pick a fight with those kind before you get them good broke that's just what you'll have is a fight
so if you train horses the way it was done 75 to 100 years ago then yes i'd say stay away from those lines but if you train horses with your head and train their mind then you should get along great with these horses
but i aggree with fh that these lines of horses need a job and lots of miles to get them broke
until later
jerry

Hard Twist horses are another line that is known to be broncy.

We had one and he still stands as one of the best horses
we ever had the privilege to own. He never ever bucked,
but he sure was snorty on the ground. When you went to catch
him, he'd arc his neck at you like he just might strike you.
But he never did. He had rollers in his nose too. He was sure
a good, good horse, regardless.

Come to think of it, when we were on the Powder River in
Wyoming and he got USED, he didn't do that stuff when he was
being caught. That started when we moved to W. Montana and
didn't have the kind of riding he got on the Powder River.

He always had rollers in his nose tho.

Brings a tear to my eye to think about how truly great he was.
In the arena and out, he was good everywhere you put him.
I still don't think I ever rode a horse as good on his feet as
he was. Mr. FH got into some tough, tough places on the Powder
River and that horse NEVER let him down.

Latest posts