• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Van Dyke? Swift ?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Ben Roberts

Reaction score
A member of the Van Dyke family, started posting on this board 02/08/07 and then dropped out of site on 02/09/07 after seventeen post of wanting to answer questions for us ( he did not have to do this, he wanted to) and then after over, two hundred and fifty replies, some of them questions most of them accusations about his families integrity. I don't blame him, for not wanting to answer any-more questions, from a witness stand.

Swift, has not made one reply,(they don't have to) Why? It's because, we are not and will not organize, no one is going to come on this board and be thrown to the lions. Look at what you people are doing here, this is a reflection of what is happening in our industry.

We had a chance, to help another cattleman and his family, solve something that our governments, and the multi-national corporations, will not do.

I believe, we owe this cattleman and his family an apology, then maybe, just maybe he will come back, and then we can help them solve an issue that all cattle producers, on both sides of the border are interested in.

VAN DYKE vs SWIFT/USDA Why not, this internet thing is pretty powerful,if used properly.

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

Just curious Ben.

Are you then saying the USDA response and explanation is a lie?

I am by no means a packer supporter but Swift isn't in this alone.

I agree wholeheartedly "Brother" Ben. This place has become an embarassingly uncivil place to gain knowledge..........................

But with some on here calling each other "Liars", "SOB's" and such, it's no wonder it has denigrated to this level......... :???: :???:

I sometimes wonder what age are the people on the other end of these posts.............................................

Bill said:
Just curious Ben.

Bill, I edited my first post, I believe it to be correct now. Thank you.

Ben Roberts

Bill said:
Just curious Ben.

Bill, I don't know if the USDA is being dishonest or not, someone is, I just want to know the truth, dosen't anyone else. I have my personal feelings about what happened, but that, my not be the truth. Lets find out!

Ben Roberts

Ben Roberts said:
Bill said:
Just curious Ben.

Bill, I don't know if the USDA is being dishonest or not, someone is, I just want to know the truth, doesnt anyone else. I have my personal feelings about what happened, but that, my not be the truth. Lets find out!

Ben Roberts

Ben I agree that the truth needs to come out.
I would wonder why Van Dykes continue to push this after they had been paid. Ethics I hope . If those were Canadian cattle sold thru a auction barn in South Dakota why are South Dakota authorities not investigating.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Ben Roberts said:
Bill said:
Just curious Ben.

Bill, I don't know if the USDA is being dishonest or not, someone is, I just want to know the truth, doesnt anyone else. I have my personal feelings about what happened, but that, my not be the truth. Lets find out!

Ben Roberts

Ben I agree that the truth needs to come out.
I would wonder why Van Dykes continue to push this after they had been paid. Ethics I hope . If those were Canadian cattle sold thru a auction barn in South Dakota why are South Dakota authorities not investigating.

These are questions, we need to have answered.

1. Ethics i hope?
2. If those were Canadian cattle?
3. Are South Dakota authorities investigating?

If we work together, we can get these questions answered.

Are South Dakota authorities investigating?

I would imagine if this is like most federal investigations-- once the feds move in they shove the state or locals out of the way...Sometimes you'll find an investigator that will work with and utilize local knowledge- but most federal investigators are kind of like many Texans-- they think they wear a hat size about 3 sizes bigger than everyone else....

Since the VanDykes have been paid- and no one is out any money- I can't think of any state law that has been violated.....Most of the Canadian cattle rules/border crossing inspections and health rules are federal and would fall under federal jurisdiction....

Oldtimer said:

I would imagine if this is like most federal investigations-- once the feds move in they shove the state or locals out of the way...Sometimes you'll find an investigator that will work with and utilize local knowledge- but most federal investigators are kind of like many Texans-- they think they wear a hat size about 3 sizes bigger than everyone else....

Since the VanDykes have been paid- and no one is out any money- I can't think of any state law that has been violated.....Most of the Canadian cattle rules/border crossing inspections and health rules are federal and would fall under federal jurisdiction....

How about selling stolen/smuggled cattle through a salebarn? Does South Dakota have a law against that??

TimH said:
Oldtimer said:

How about selling stolen/smuggled cattle through a salebarn? Does South Dakota have a law against that??

Who's the victim? Who has reported them stolen?

Oldtimer said:
TimH said:
Oldtimer said:

Since we are answering questions with more questions.....If they weren't stolen or smuggled, how did they end up at the sale barn where Van Dykes bought them???

Mike: "But with some on here calling each other "Liars", "SOB's" and such, it's no wonder it has denigrated to this level.........

I sometimes wonder what age are the people on the other end of these posts............................................."

YOU MEAN THIS LEVEL..............

Sandcheska claiming this as a quote from me: "SANDCHESKA, LETS RUN AWAY TOGETHER AND I'LL BE YOUR SEX SLAVE!"

IS THAT THE DENIGRATED LEVEL YOU REFER TO MIKE????

Hmmmm????

It's always the response isn't it? It's never the statement like this that elicits the response is it????

For the record, anyone that would accuse me of saying this is a "liar" and a "SOB" and I would welcome the chance to tell them personally.

"well ahh...but ahhh...gee ahhhh...that's different isn't it Mike?

HYPOCRITE!

~SH~

TimH said:
Oldtimer said:
TimH said:

Since we are answering questions with more questions.....If they weren't stolen or smuggled, how did they end up at the sale barn where Van Dykes bought them???

Canadian border smuggling and the border rules are Federal Laws--not in the States jurisidiction-- and since Swift paid off Mr. VanDyke, to my knowledge everyone has been paid and/or noone is filing a theft complaint....With Swift saying it was their error they are the only ones out any money- but according to them is was accidental-not criminal... :???:

Mike said:
I agree wholeheartedly "Brother" Ben. This place has become an embarassingly uncivil place to gain knowledge..........................

But with some on here calling each other "Liars", "SOB's" and such, it's no wonder it has denigrated to this level......... :???: :???:

I sometimes wonder what age are the people on the other end of these posts.............................................

MIKE How old are you when you post "Take a MIDOL"? :?

Tam said:
Mike said:

MIKE How old are you when you post "Take a MIDOL"? :?

Old enough to know you need one. :lol:

Oldtimer wrote-

Canadian border smuggling and the border rules are Federal Laws--not in the States jurisidiction-- and since Swift paid off Mr. VanDyke, to my knowledge everyone has been paid and/or noone is filing a theft complaint....With Swift saying it was their error they are the only ones out any money- but according to them is was accidental-not criminal...

Van Dykes say (signed affadavits) that the cattle in question were at their place. They may have been in the USA legally and were STOLEN from a feedlot....they may not have been smuggled. Would that violate any State laws?

TimH said:
Oldtimer wrote-

Canadian border smuggling and the border rules are Federal Laws--not in the States jurisidiction-- and since Swift paid off Mr. VanDyke, to my knowledge everyone has been paid and/or noone is filing a theft complaint....With Swift saying it was their error they are the only ones out any money- but according to them is was accidental-not criminal...

Van Dykes say (signed affadavits) that the cattle in question were at their place. They may have been in the USA legally and were STOLEN from a feedlot....they may not have been smuggled. Would that violate any State laws?

To have a theft- you have to have a victim....To my knowledge no victim has come forward or been identified.....

Swifts pay off is an easy way to quiet things down....

I'm not sure what SD has for laws-- may have some violation, but probably only misdemeanors...
I know in Montana these cattle would have to be brand inspected at slaughter and the hides tagged to match the inspection...

Oldtimer wrote-

To have a theft- you have to have a victim....To my knowledge no victim has come forward or been identified.....

Following that "logic", if I stole one of your cows and sold her, and you niether noticed her missing or reported it, no theft occured??
Is that what you are saying, Detective? :???:

TimH said:
Oldtimer wrote-

Following that "logic", if I stole one of your cows and sold her, and you niether noticed her missing or reported it, no theft occured??

If I didn't ever know about it and report it and only you (the thief) knew about it- that would be true...As far as the law is concerned you have to have a victim to prosecute a crime...

Sometimes law enforcement learn of the theft before the victim, when they find IDed objects and contact the owner...
That is the reason most around here brand so that those missing cattle will show up-and can't be sold in someone elses name-- but yes it happens...There have been times we've had an idea that some no brand baby calf brought to the ring didn't belong to the person selling it-- but never had anybody report a missing one that it could be matched to....

Oldtimer said:
TimH said:
Oldtimer wrote-

If I didn't ever know about it and report it and only you (the thief) knew about it- that would be true...As far as the law is concerned you have to have a victim to prosecute a crime...

Sometimes law enforcement learn of the theft before the victim, when they find IDed objects and contact the owner...
That is the reason most around here brand so that those missing cattle will show up-and can't be sold in someone elses name-- but yes it happens...There have been times we've had an idea that some no brand baby calf brought to the ring didn't belong to the person selling it-- but never had anybody report a missing one that it could be matched to....

Sooooooo, In the case of these CDN cattle showing up at a SD salebarn, it would be reasonable to suspect that a crime has been committed...... correct???

Latest posts