• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

US Taxpayers to Provide China Cattle Help

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Econ101

Reaction score
Conaway, A&M officials plan million-acre Chinese ranches

Bob Campbell, Staff Writer

Midland Reporter-Telegram

05/06/2007

Congressman Mike Conaway of Midland met recently in Beijing, China, with officials of Texas A&M University and the People's Republic of China to lay plans for modernizing the beef cattle industry in the world's most populous nation.

The stakes -- and steaks -- are intriguing for A&M, which reported Friday that it will be involved for at least the next few years; China, which wants to feed its increasingly affluent society better; and a Seattle company that wants to set up five one-million-acre ranches and even a horse racing endeavor.

"The cow-calf operations and packing houses would be state of the art and an opportunity for American companies to sell a lot of equipment to China," said Conaway, who returned April 24. "China has 1.3 billion people and we in the U.S. don't understand the scope of that market.

"They have 17 million in Shanghai, 15 million in Beijing and 1,200 cities with over a million each. They're adding 1,000 cars a day to the traffic in Beijing and these are not folks who have been driving. They've been on bicycles."

With everyone in rural China yearning for city life, Conaway said, the government is anxious to bolster the rural economy and keep its indigenous population in place.

The Americans met with officials including Liu Fuchen, CEO of the China National Cereals, Oils and Foodstuffs Import and Export Corp., and Fang Fenglei, chief representative there of the Goldman Sachs global investment firm. A&M lobbyist Larry Meyers of Washington proffered Aeromotor Windmills of San Angelo's bid to bring windmills to the ranches.

Dr. Elsa Murano, A&M's vice chancellor and dean of agricultural and life sciences, returned to College Station April 27 after visiting Inner Mongolia's Hulun Buir region of northern China.

She also saw areas in western China where ranches might go, accompanied by Dr. Russell Cross, deputy vice chancellor and associate agriculture and life sciences dean, and Dr. Steven Whisenant, head of the A&M Rangeland Ecology and Management Department. They signed an agreement with the Chinese government to form a steering committee for the projects.

Conaway said China faces such problems as a questionable human rights record, holding its currency, the renminbi or RMB, at an artifically high level, and allowing the piracy of computer and entertainment products. Though the country holds billions in U.S. government bonds, conaway isn't concerned that it could have "a mass fire sale" of and cause the bonds' value to drop.

"These are fixed maturity bonds and I'm not worried about the Chinese doing something that is not in their own best interest," he said. "I am more concerned that we've got that much debt than I am about who actually owns the debt.

"You can stick your head in the sand if you want to, but China is going to be a player in the world's consumer markets."

Murano was heartened enough to project a two to three year involvement by the A&M System. "Doug Anderson and Flying Horse Ltd. of Seattle approached us a few months ago and hired us on a contract basis to assess issues specific to beef cattle and horses," she said.

"We visited with China Agriculture University in Beijing about training their people in the business and ecological aspects with respect to sustainability and conservation. It is potentially a very significant activity."

Teaching the Chinese to grow animals and set up inspection and food safety programs is also part of what Murano and her colleagues envision. Horse racing is a long-term goal with the beef cattle ranches to come first.

She said "bio-energy" is projected with grass and corn to be turned into alternative fuels and "ecotourism" to take foreign visitors into China's pristine areas. "Hong Kong, Beijing and Shanghai used to be seas of people on bicycles, but now there is nothing but cars, restaurants and hotels," Murano said.

mywesttexas.com

It's not just the agricultural business that China is taking over.

The Chinese are hard-working, intelligent people who don't mind doing the dirty work. The same philosophy as the Mexican immigrant workers. However, the Chinese take jobs from the top and the bottom.

Do I want to sign up for lower the average wages? NOT!

"The cow-calf operations and packing houses would be state of the art and an opportunity for American companies to sell a lot of equipment to China"

We'll sell them some equipment, they'll take it apart, see how it works and then make the rest of what they need themselves just as they've done with a number of other products. These guys are the piracy kings. Trademarks, patents, whatever, mean nothing to them.

I thought the plan was to sell them beef? We're going to sell them 10 million in equipment so they don't have to buy 100 million in beef? That pencils? I can see how the equipment companies would favor the deal, but A & M? Didn't we learn anything after we rebuilt Japan's manufacturing infrastructure after WWII?

Sandhusker said:
"The cow-calf operations and packing houses would be state of the art and an opportunity for American companies to sell a lot of equipment to China"

We'll sell them some equipment, they'll take it apart, see how it works and then make the rest of what they need themselves just as they've done with a number of other products. These guys are the piracy kings. Trademarks, patents, whatever, mean nothing to them.

I thought the plan was to sell them beef? We're going to sell them 10 million in equipment so they don't have to buy 100 million in beef? That pencils? I can see how the equipment companies would favor the deal, but A & M? Didn't we learn anything after we rebuilt Japan's manufacturing infrastructure after WWII?
I'd say we'll get the opportunity in the future to sell them realestate, that's what they're ultimately after.

Red Robin said:
Sandhusker said:

I'd say we'll get the opportunity in the future to sell them realestate, that's what they're ultimately after.

You've got that one figured out, Robin.

Sandhusker said:
Red Robin said:
Sandhusker said:

You've got that one figured out, Robin.

Yep, they are buying all over:

Moon real estate on sale in China

Lunar Embassy sells land on the moon - and provides certificates
People in China now have the chance to "buy" land on the moon, according to state media.
Cashing in on China's current space fervour - its second manned mission has just returned to Earth - US firm Lunar Embassy has opened a base in Beijing.

Land is being sold for 289 yuan ($37) an acre, the China Daily reported, and customers will receive a special certificate to prove their purchase.

Lunar Embassy has already sold parts of the moons to thousands of customers.

The area up for grabs to Chinese customers is between 20 and 24 degrees latitude north and 30 to 34 degrees longitude west, Li Jie, a spokesman for Lunar Embassy, told the China Daily.

I have 3.5m customers, including ex-US presidents Ronald Reagan, Jimmy Carter and movie stars who have purchased land on the moon

Dennis Hope, creator of Lunar Embassy
Ownership of the land includes the right to the use of its mineral resources up to 3km (1.8 miles) underground, said Li Jie.

"We define it as a kind of novelty gift with the potential of unlimited increase in value," he said.

Lunar Embassy was set up in 1980, by US entrepreneur Dennis Hope.

Mr Hope believes a loophole in the 1967 United Nations Outer Space Treaty makes his property sales legitimate.

Although no country or government can lay claim to extraterrestrial land, the treaty makes no mention of individual or corporate ownership.

But UN lawyers say Lunar Embassy's claim on the moon is without merit.

China is the eighth country to have a Lunar Embassy office, according to the China Daily - after the US, Germany, Britain, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and Japan.

Shenzhou VI, China's second manned space flight, successfully returned to Earth on Monday.

Astronauts Fei Junlong and Nie Haisheng orbited the globe for five days.

Sandhusker said:

Question for everyone on this thread. Of the total number, of beef cattle, in the world, what country has the largest percentage of that population?

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

Sandhusker said:
I vote Brazil.

What's the prize, Rev. Ben?

Sorry, but it's China. China has 29% of the beef cattle population in the world, and now do you have to wonder why, we are shipping equipment to China, instead of beef. If the cattle producers of North America, don't take back the control of the cattle industry soon, beef from North America will not be a marketable product.

Brazil is #2 with 23%, Argentina #3 with 21%, USA has 15%, Canada I believe has 6%.

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

Latest posts