• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

True Grit being remade with Jeff Bridges

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
This movie was a classic just the way it was, IMO. I really have
mixed feelings about a remake. Good as he is, I don't think
Jeff Bridges can fill John Wayne's boots.
-------------------------------------------

Iconic John Wayne Role Redone
by Jonathan Crow · August 18, 2010
In 1969, John Wayne played Rooster Cogburn in "True Grit" -- a grizzled, drunken U.S. Marshal hired by a 14-year-old girl to track down her father's killer. The role ended up winning the aging Western star his first and only Oscar, prompting him to make a rare sequel -- "Rooster Cogburn" -- opposite Katherine Hepburn in 1975. The image of Wayne's craggy, eye-patched visage from "True Grit" has become a cinematic icon.

So film mavens everywhere were taken aback when it was announced last year that Joel and Ethan Coen would been making their own version of "True Grit." But don't expect a straight remake; this movie is based more closely on the Charles Portis novel. And Jeff Bridges, fresh off his Oscar win, was tapped to play Cogburn; that's right, the Duke has been replaced by the Dude.

Photos: Jeff Bridges

The movie will also star another Coens alum, Josh Brolin, along with Barry Pepper and Matt Damon.

"I've never even seen the original John Wayne movie" Matt Damon, who plays Glen Campbell's old role of LaBeouf in this new version, told Entertainment Weekly. Unlike the old flick, this LaBeouf reportedly doesn't sing. "Our movie is totally different."

This week, the first photo of the Coen Brothers' effort (see below) was released, hinting at other differences. The most obvious being is that Mattie Ross, who is a fourteen year-old girl in the book, is actually being played by a fourteen year-old girl -- newcomer Haile Steinfeld. In the original, Kim Darby was 21.

But what fans of the original are all wondering is how the Dude's Cogburn going to stack up next to the Duke's. The photo shows Bridges, looking ornery and weathered, sporting a beard and that famous eye patch. Wayne, a staunch Republican during the height of the '60s, was resolutely clean-shaven.

A quick comparison reveals that Wayne and Bridges sport their patches on opposite eyes. The Duke covered his left eye as a nod to his longtime collaborator John Ford, who lost vision in that eye when he removed bandages too soon after a cataract operation. No word on why Bridges decided to cover the other side.

When he was making his "True Grit," John Wayne was 61 years old. He was too unhealthy to perform his own stunts and, thanks to having an entire lung removed years prior, could barely walk more than 30 feet before heavy breathing. You might be forgiven, when looking at side-by-side photos, for assuming that Bridges is five or ten years younger that Wayne when he shot his version. In fact, Jeff Bridges turns 61 in December.

"True Grit" opens December 25, 2010. http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movie-talk-iconic-john-wayne-role-redone.html

I like Jeff Bridges. Whether he can do justice to a John Wayne classic role is something we'll have to see. In the original movie however, I found Kim Darby to be really irritating.

I bet this movie will be so different from the original that it'll be like comparing apples and oranges anyway.

This is the movie that Lil Lilly tried out for the part of the girl. She got one call back to read lines again. Then nothing...oh well guess she wasn't meant to be in a movie with Jeff Bridges LOL

Good for her. That would have been so awesome!!! Is she going to keep on trying? I bet it takes everyone in the business a lot of auditions before one clicks. She's got a good story to tell now though. :D

The main reason she tried out for that part...was because they were holdin tryin outs at a big barrel race we were attending. It was neat. And she has lots of One Act experience behind her from high school. But I don't really think that it's something she'll persue. She's too interested in horses to go the Hollywood route LOL

Jeff Bridges wouldnt make a pimple on John Waynes behind! :mad: While I liked him in Seabiscut, Bridges ought to have left well enough alone cause these boots won't fit anybody else. 30 plus years after his death, John Wayne still makes the top five on most peoples lists of favorite actors. And to imagine Matt Damon hasnt watched "True Grit"? That is pretty damn sad! Add this to the long list of movies I'll probably never see! :roll:

I, too, was shocked that Matt Damon (not a favorite of mine)
ADMITTED he didn't watch True Grit. Maybe he should...
I don't like to be a pessimist, but I'm not too interested in the
remake of this classic western movie.

On the other hand, I really enjoyed the remake of 3:10 to Yuma;
but I can't remember seeing the original, so really had nothing
to compare to.

Kind of on a funny note, our old cowboy buddy always wanted to
see "This Gun for Hire" with Alan Ladd. He looked for that
movie for a long time. Imagine his disappointment when he ordered
it, and after waiting all that time, it wasn't a western movie. :p
He was sooooo upset! :p

Kinda like when I ordered "The Quick and the Dead" and it came in...."The Quick and the Dead" only it was the one with Sharon Stone in it instead of Sam Elliott! :? Had to reorder.....

leanin' H said:
Jeff Bridges wouldnt make a pimple on John Waynes behind! :mad: While I liked him in Seabiscut, Bridges ought to have left well enough alone cause these boots won't fit anybody else. 30 plus years after his death, John Wayne still makes the top five on most peoples lists of favorite actors. And to imagine Matt Damon hasnt watched "True Grit"? That is pretty damn sad! Add this to the long list of movies I'll probably never see! :roll:

I agree with H one hundred percent. Nobody can replace John Wayne

I totally agree that nobody is going to replace John Wayne. Ever. Period. But I am still glad to see a western movie get made instead of the idiotic attempts at comedy and some of the other garbage that has been put out in recent years.

So, I will go see it and try to judge it on its own merits. I confess, my opinion might be slanted because of acquaintance with the folks on whose ranch some of the filming was done.

yall are right,, nobody can replace john wayne period,, but he's gone.. i think jeff bridges will do a good job and think its great they have ran out of ideas in hollyweird and calling back the old classics

My favorite Jeff Bridges roll was "The Dude" in The Big Lebowski; I liked his interaction with the root beer drinkin' wise old cowboy at the bar, Sam Elliot. But I can't see Jeff Bridges fillin' the Duke's boots. Maybe he can at least do it justice. We'll see, maybe.
GOD BLESS JOHN WAYNE!

Latest posts