• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Tractors

Help Support Ranchers.net:

GM88

Reaction score
I was wondering what people know about the john deer 6140D. Was told they don't have the hydraulic out put but the stats look the same as the Kubota 135. tired of being stuck all winter and want to upgrade from my 4440. Looks like the hydraulic out put would be more then it. I just want a basic tractor with out all the bells and whistles and there are several local used ones for sale here.

There is a ford 17o horse power tractor for sale locally too but don't know anything about them. Cant remember the #. anybody know anything about ford. Never seen one before.

I don't know anything specific about the 6140 but I do know I'd by a JD over just about any other brand because of the service. Short line dealers come and go but the Deere seems to run on forever. :D

They are fairly basic without a lot of electronics (I think this is a good thing). Lots of power, I think the newer ones have wet disc brakes. They have a wet clutch (also a good thing). Tranny options on the older ones might be a bit less handy than the 4440. Better fuel economy than the 4440. The strangest thing to get used to in the limited time I used one is that on the newer tractors the cab is set further ahead in the wheels (the rear wheels stick out further behind the cab). Takes some minor getting used to with turning radius of implements.
If the 4440 has lots of hydraulic flow for you then the 6140 will have too. My wife's uncle has a slightly older 6130D and loves it. My JD mechanic neighbour has issues with the 4 cylinder and says the 6 cylinder is quieter/better, but they are also another 40 to 80K to move up through the alphabet to an M or R model.
I agree with BMR on the colour, but our neighbours run blue and they put over 3000 hours on a loader tractor in 11 months, and have several that are from 6 months to 15 years old.

thanks. Ive always run JD but this blue one is cheap. (if it stayed that way). I also wondered between 4 and 6 cylinder RSL . I think the specs look exactly the same as the Kubota of same size but Ive always felt the same as you and BMR. I even bought a john deer chain saw because our little saw dealers come and go and JD is always here. I think the hydraulic out put is very similar to Kubota and the neighbors all seem to be happy with them. Just the service is far better in JD. Going to look at this ford today but I think that will be all . Wait till November and look at the JD . I am happy enough with the hydraulic out put on the 4440 just not the ability to get around in the winter.

Big Muddy rancher said:
I don't know anything specific about the 6140 but I do know I'd by a JD over just about any other brand because of the service. Short line dealers come and go but the Deere seems to run on forever. :D

Now you've gone and done it. :D

GM88 said:
There is a ford 17o horse power tractor for sale locally too but don't know anything about them. Cant remember the #. anybody know anything about ford. Never seen one before.

If it's a Genesis then nobody has ever made a better tractor, that's the tractor that set the bar for everyone else. Genesis tractors are 8670, 8770, 8870 and 8970. The smallest is the 8670 at 180 engine hp I think. Pretty sure they started making them in '93.

Edit: They started out as Ford, became Ford New Holland, and eventually became just New Holland. Nothing changed but the stickers. Parts are easy to come by as you can get them from either NH or Buehler, as Buehler took over the series and still makes them.

I have a Ford 8970 210 PTO HP probably 240+ drawbar HP. It is a great tractor but the reason I bought it was because in my area the New Holland/Ford dealer provides the best service and parts inventory of any of the other dealers. I would suggest you take service and part availability into consideration when buying.

I have a JD 4440 and it sure does like to spin on snow and ice.

Denny said:
I'd buy a belarus and 40 acres of land.
how at available are parts? I will admit you are the only person I've ever heard say a good thing about Belarus.

Denny said:

The cheapest 40 acres around here that you could find will cost 100K. Then you could drop close to another 50-100K in improvements. Then see what happens to the taxes on the place.

As far as tractors go, I'd stick with the brand with the best dealer service & support, which for here is green. Resale value should figure in the equation as well. You'll generally find that you haven't spent your money, you just put it in a different place.

The city here put out bids for a new wheel loader several years ago. They got bids from Cat, Deere, and Komatsu. The Cat & Deere were within $1000 of each other, but the Komatsu was cheaper by around $4,000. The council bulled right ahead with the Komatsu and now have buyers remorse to beat the band. Strong parts & service for Cat & Deere are an hour away. The Komatsu dealer is 3 hours away, getting parts is a royal pain, and it seems the techs don't know what they are doing. Not to mention the fact that at trade in time, the Komatsu will be worth a LOT less than Cat or Deere. All to save $4,000. :roll:

I'm a big time jd tractor fan. You get what you pay for. Also trade in is always better for jd. My grandpa bought a 4440 new in 1978. My dad sold it to my uncle then he had it on a farm auction about 6 years ago and it brought 5,000 more than it cost new. No other brand can say that. Right now a jd with 2,000 hours is worth more than anything else similar equip with 1,000 hours. Having said that we had some magnum tractors in mid 90,s and my uncle had a 8970 that has been brought up here before and couldn't complain a bit about either accept when it was time to trade. :wink:

I've alway's felt that if you could afford to buy new, buy John Deere. If you can't , the other brand's offer better value

loomixguy said:
Denny said:

The cheapest 40 acres around here that you could find will cost 100K. Then you could drop close to another 50-100K in improvements. Then see what happens to the taxes on the place.

As far as tractors go, I'd stick with the brand with the best dealer service & support, which for here is green. Resale value should figure in the equation as well. You'll generally find that you haven't spent your money, you just put it in a different place.

The city here put out bids for a new wheel loader several years ago. They got bids from Cat, Deere, and Komatsu. The Cat & Deere were within $1000 of each other, but the Komatsu was cheaper by around $4,000. The council bulled right ahead with the Komatsu and now have buyers remorse to beat the band. Strong parts & service for Cat & Deere are an hour away. The Komatsu dealer is 3 hours away, getting parts is a royal pain, and it seems the techs don't know what they are doing. Not to mention the fact that at trade in time, the Komatsu will be worth a LOT less than Cat or Deere. All to save $4,000. :roll:

Well then I'll refrase that I'd move and buy a belarus and 40 acres of land. $40,000 will get you 40 acres here. I bought 40 acres this spring for $60,000 came with a drilled well electric sewer mobile home and fenced.

Got a 2013 6140D. It was off 250 hrs lease deal when I got it. Wanted it without all the electric gizmos. Had a 93 6200 traded for it and had bought it with 30 hrs and they gave 9K more on trade than I paid for it and it had 8300 hrs on it... but the 6140D was a shade over twice what the 6200 was new. Only thing I don't like is that it will lift same amount of weight as 6200 it doesn't tilt back or scoop as much weight (don't know how to describe it) other than thar I like it and the extra power and clearance. As everything more fiberglass and plastic I guess than the old ones. Oh also wish the radiators where on hinges for easier cleaning.

I got a new 6130D last winter. For me it works great, I don't do any farming, just feeding cows and haying. Runs my Vermeer bale processor and my 567 baler great. Seems to be a tic better on fuel than my 6430 Premium JD. Baled about 2500 round bales this year, only complaint for that is that it could use screens in front of the radiator to cut down on blowing the radiator out. Didn't have to do it alot, but CRP hay put alot of chaff into it. Hydraulics could be a little stronger, I have to roll the bucket back to get two 1300 pound bales off of the top row on the semi, but I had to do that with my 4040 too. Handles them real good when you get them down. Doesn't have all the creature comforts of alot of todays tractors, but I'll take it over all the electronic BS.

I've alway's felt that if you could afford to buy new, buy John Deere. If you can't , the other brand's offer better value
That's what I am finding Hayguy. That's why I am wondering about the ford. It is exactly half the price of the same used JD . Thanks everyone glad to know your thoughts also cow chaser and 76. My salesman is really trying to talk me out of the D series and into the m or r series. Little does he know he is talking me into that ford more and more. the 40000 more to go into the M or R series puts me into the used series which might be an off breed for me. Glad you guys seem to be happy with your D's and for me too less electric and more mechanical is a plus.

If it's a Genesis then nobody has ever made a better tractor, that's the tractor that set the bar for everyone else. Genesis tractors are 8670, 8770, 8870 and 8970. The smallest is the 8670 at 180 engine hp I think. Pretty sure they started making them in '93.

Edit: They started out as Ford, became Ford New Holland, and eventually became just New Holland. Nothing changed but the stickers. Parts are easy to come by as you can get them from either NH or Buehler, as Buehler took over the series and still makes them.
Thanks silver it is and thanks. The used JDs are too much and the salesman is talking himself out of a new one.

and says the 6 cylinder is quieter/better, but they are also another 40 to 80K to move up through the alphabet to an M or R model
True that RSL. You need to talk like a JD salesman though. Its only another ..... Thanks for the help

GM88 said:

Thanks silver it is and thanks. The used JDs are too much and the salesman is talking himself out of a new one.

One thing to consider regarding that Ford. They have an amazing 16 speed power shift made by Funk. You can tell how much life is left in the clutch packs by doing a calibration from in the cab. The numbers that come up as each clutch pack is calibrated can be compared to original specs thus letting you know how much wear there is. Dealer should be able to do that for you.
Another thought is that hopefully it doesn't have the Ford loader on it, they are a big clunky poorly built thing in my experience, with any luck it has a good loader like an Alo, Quickie, Allied or just about anything other than the Ford loader lol

Latest posts