• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Saddle size? Do you notice..

Help Support Ranchers.net:

The shape of the fork has nothing to do with how comfortable or not the seat is. That depends on how the saddle maker built the seat. For people on Facebook, here is a link where Cary Schwartz (a good saddle maker and member of the TCAA) is discussing this very topic with some other saddle makers. They all agreed with him. (I think you have to cut and paste the link to make it work.) http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.203575339687017.53588.100001036569365&type=1

For those of you not on Facebook, here is a quote from his original post: "I am able to put exactly the same shape ground seat in a slick fork or a swell fork without changing anything about the way I put them in. The assertion that a Wade tree (or whatever tree for that matter) has a better seat in it simply because the fork has a particular shape is a myth that is being perpetuated at some pretty high levels. What folks are doing is finding a saddle that they like the seat in, and assume that it is because it is a Wade (or whatever). A knowledgeable saddlemaker can put whatever shape seat behind whatever shape fork he/she desires. If your saddle has a good seat in it, it is because the saddlemaker did a good job with the ground seat, not because it is this style of tree or that."

I would say that the cantle makes a big difference in the way a saddle fits, but in reality should make no difference in the true seat size you need.
Actually, the cantle has a lot to do with the measured seat length of a saddle. Think what would happen if you took a 3 1/2" cantle and made it 5" tall. Not only does it go up, but it goes back too. So the measurement on the seat length just got longer, and yet nothing happened to the real amount of room between the fork and the cantle. So a taller cantle has to be moved closer to the fork to measure the same as a shorter cantle. This is why Big Muddy Rancher wrote
My son has a 15 inch Wade with a 5 inch spade cantle and it seems about 4 inches smaller then my 16.5 Tipton.
The cantle probably is more than 1 1/2" closer to the fork because of its height, though 4" would be a bit of an exaggeration.

aspen said:
I would say that the cantle makes a big difference in the way a saddle fits, but in reality should make no difference in the true seat size you need.
Actually, the cantle has a lot to do with the measured seat length of a saddle. Think what would happen if you took a 3 1/2" cantle and made it 5" tall. Not only does it go up, but it goes back too. So the measurement on the seat length just got longer, and yet nothing happened to the real amount of room between the fork and the cantle. So a taller cantle has to be moved closer to the fork to measure the same as a shorter cantle. This is why Big Muddy Rancher wrote
My son has a 15 inch Wade with a 5 inch spade cantle and it seems about 4 inches smaller then my 16.5 Tipton.
The cantle probably is more than 1 1/2" closer to the fork because of its height, though 4" would be a bit of an exaggeration.

At the start of the day it might be 1 1/2" closer but by the end of the day it feels 4"s smaller. :wink: :shock:

tumbleweed_texn said:
To check stirrup length- while standing in the stirrups you should be able to fit your fist between the seat and your nuts with no problem.

This may not be on the original topic, but since tumbleweed_texn brought up proper stirrup length, it reminded me of what a cowboy once said, "If your knees hurt, your stirrups are too short. If your butt hurts, your stirrups are too long. If they BOTH hurt, your stirrups are juuuuuuuust right!"

JF Ranch said:
tumbleweed_texn said:
To check stirrup length- while standing in the stirrups you should be able to fit your fist between the seat and your nuts with no problem.

This may not be on the original topic, but since tumbleweed_texn brought up proper stirrup length, it reminded me of what a cowboy once said, "If your knees hurt, your stirrups are too short. If your butt hurts, your stirrups are too long. If they BOTH hurt, your stirrups are juuuuuuuust right!"

Stirrup length is kind'a an each to his own liking deal. Grand-dad used to say if you could get more than a cigarette paper between your butt and the saddle seat they were too short! :D Funny part is that's exactly how i like mine! :wink:

I sure thing it depends a lot on what you are doing and what your goal is. When I ride a young horse I sometimes ride with a shorter stirrup so that I have more leg control and can exagerate cues. Some may not understand, some of you do. As a rule of thumb your inseam will be comparible to your arm length. If you touch your finger tips to your swell your stirrup should hit you in the arm pit when it is stretched out straight. Seat size is not variable, a 16 in ars is a 16 in ars, but seat type is. I think that all of those variables are preference. I once said I would never own a saddle without a padded seat, I had a bad experience. Now I would never buy a saddle with a padded seat. I also said I would never own a wade, not sure if I will ever ride anything else again.

tumbleweed_texn said:
It's a little crude but I'll tell you what an old cowboy told me on saddle size and stirrup length.

To check saddle size- While sitting down in the saddle you should be able to fit your fist between your nuts and the swells with no problem.

Like I said, a little crude, but you get the point. When it comes to buying a saddle there are so many variables and they all make a difference. First, decide what style you want and what you are going to use it for. For noncompetitive riding, most women can get by with a 15", most men I know like a 16". Remember that a too small saddle can make a miserable ride.

That may have worked for that ole cowboy givin the advice, but to me it would be like comparing a brangus bull to a limousin, if you know what i mean.
good luck

leanin' H said:
JF Ranch said:
tumbleweed_texn said:

Stirrup length is kind'a an each to his own liking deal. Grand-dad used to say if you could get more than a cigarette paper between your butt and the saddle seat they were too short! :D Funny part is that's exactly how i like mine! :wink:

I guess both our 4-wheelers are juuuuuust right. :wink: :lol:

Faster horses said:
Justin said:
and it's not all about how your ass fits the saddle, your saddle needs to fit the horse aswell. :nod:

That's probably even more important.....especially to the horse.
Excellent point, Justin. :clap:

That is the only reason why I bought my last saddle. It is almost identical to the previous one except my new one has a full quarterhorse tree. The previous one was a little too narrow.

Justin, that is probably as much of a reason to buy a custom made saddle as any. I know saddle makers that fit a horse or type of horse just as they fit you for a seat. It is way easier to find a comfortable saddle than it is to find a saddle that fits a horse or multiple horses.

flyingS said:
Justin, that is probably as much of a reason to buy a custom made saddle as any. I know saddle makers that fit a horse or type of horse just as they fit you for a seat. It is way easier to find a comfortable saddle than it is to find a saddle that fits a horse or multiple horses.

Since 1974, I have ridden three saddles made by Ralph Shimon. They are built just a bit different from each other, but do share the fact that all three have had a 7/8 rigging.
They all seem to fit many different kinds of horses. Goodness knows, having been an amateur horse trader most of my life, these saddles have been on the backs of quite a few
horses and mules. With a pad and a double Navajo wool blanket, they seem to "fit 'em all." Ol' Ralph's craftsmanship is probably not as exquisite as some of the other
more deluxe saddle makers, but for durability, usability, good fit on a horse, rider comfort, and overall function, his saddles are hard to beat.

i like 16 , especially when i was calf roping.. more room to move.. felt i was locked in on a 15... which would be fine team roping

Latest posts