• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

One of my Longest Days

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

I just got home and am winding down from this.....Spent the afternoon digging out- putting tires on and trailing in a grain auger and just when we hit town emergency vehicles were going everywhere... The neighbor I'd loaned the auger to dropped me off at my vehicle at the Waterhole- and thats when my wife called and said "I'm OK- I wasn't one of the ones shot- we're in lockdown- don't leave town until I call you because they think the shooter (s) are in the area of our house or headed that way..

Turns out the lady EMT killed is also the Clerk of Court- who's dad is my bestest friend and who was my Administrator of the Jail (now retired)- the nurse shot was a sweetheart who's husband I've known since he was born-who was the other one shot (but I heard they will be OK)-and the real scarey part is the next one out of that hospital door when this nut went shooting was going to be my wife- who had to hesitate for a few seconds to push the button on the computer to send some C-Scans to the Radioligist...When she got to ER the ER Doctor was ducking bullets trying to get back inside :shock: THANK YOU LORD......

Anyway the Law Enforcement did a fabulous job--somewhere along the line somebody poked a bullet hole in this nutcase- they shutdown the town- nobody moved anywhere- called in all the mutual agreement officers- dogs- and helicopters-- tracked his bloodtrail all night until about midnite ( my son was in involved in the that- I did teach him a little) and the really scarey part was this guys trail went right down the road and beside the house where 2 of my grandkids were- with their other grandparents- but I had let them know- and they had the grandkids in the basement- and old Grandpa Nolan (an old Miles City man) was watching the door with a shotgun... They caught up with him about a 1/2 mile away from there (which is only about a mile and half- 2 miles from my house)-- apparently from what I hear tonight he attacked one of the tracking dogs and his handler with a knife- shots were fired- ambulance called- ambulance code returning to the hospital was Code Black- which means no trial :clap: .....

ATTA BOYS for law enforcement and training- it showed tonight.....I used to catch hell when I was Chief Deputy and when I was Sheriff for spending money and time on SWAT training and equipment-- more than one councilman and commissioner and taxpayer told me those things don't happen in our area :???:

The other thing that showed tonight was that everyone knows that I don't walk across the street without packing-- I had more women loving me up and willing to spend the night with me and offering a place to spend the night in town than I ever had before :wink: :lol:

I don't mean to make light of this- Hell of a tragedy just befell our community :( :( :( -- GOD works in mysterious ways- and I thank him Grandma had to spend them few seconds pushing the buttons on her computer.... We were going to work cows tomorrow- but instead might just have a big family gettogether to thank the good old Lord......

1 killed, 2 injured in Glasgow shooting
By The Associated Press and Gazette Staff

UPDATE: 10:15

GLASGOW � One of three people shot near the Glasgow hospital�s ambulance barn on Saturday died and a manhunt was under way, Valley County Sheriff Glenn Meier confirmed.

Meier told the Great Falls Tribune the other two shooting victims were in stable condition. He did not release their names.

The manhunt for the shooter continued late Saturday. "We�re getting closer," Meier told the Tribune.

Frances Mahon Deaconess Hospital was under a lockdown that began at 5 p.m. and continued past 10 p.m., spokesman Nickolas Dirkes said. He said the three people hit by gunfire received care at the hospital and one had died.

"We�re on a lockdown, with no admittance to the facility permitted at this time," Dirkes said. "An ambulance crew is available offsite and we have initiated our incident command system."

Samara Fay, a spokeswoman for the sheriff�s department, said that officers were looking for only one person and had requested that people "stay home, lock their doors. They don�t want anyone on the streets."

She said BNSF Railway agreed to a request to halt its trains, apparently so they could not be used to flee town.

The search in the community of about 3,100 residents focused on the south side of town, a residential area, Fay said. The search involved personnel from multiple agencies, including the Montana Highway Patrol.

Sports reporter Beth Henville of the Glasgow Courier said Glasgow High School was locked down during basketball games against Scobey, but that the teams and fans were allowed to go home about an hour after the boys� game.

She said the crowd at the game was informed at about 5:30 p.m. MDT that the school was being locked because of "a situation." Tim Phillips, program director at KLTZ-AM in Glasgow, said people were allowed to leave the gym at about 7:45 p.m.

http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2009/01/17/news/state/19-glasgow.txt

That`s more then enough excitement fo a while, leave one`s gut in a knot. The sad reality of what happened is hard to comprehend.

Glad to hear every ones OK and prayers go out to the families of the others. So sad to hear that.

What started the whole thing??

On the other hand glad to hear that tax payers money will not be needed on him in the future.

G3

You missed your last chance at fame OT,you shoulda been out there helpin those men put that moron outa his misery,sad deal.................good luck

That was a pretty spooky situation, Oldtimer. Sure sorry to learn about the death of the lady EMT, but thankful that your wife was "detained" in a momentous way so her life was spared. Thanks for the report, and our prayers go out to everyone involved.

We had all better do all we can to be able to keep our guns. The bad guys will always be able to figure out ways to kill people, and the good guys need guns to protect the good people. Don't let our politicians take this right from us.

Sorry for the loss, but thankful for those spared. Will be praying for all involved. enjoy your get together today!!!

yikes! thats quite a story to read, sorry for the EMT's family, but glad for everyone else as it could have been so much worse

HAY MAKER said:
You missed your last chance at fame OT,you shoulda been out there helpin those men put that moron outa his misery,sad deal.................good luck

Haymaker- I had enough of those type moments of fame time to let the younger folks handle it now...But I guarantee if he'd tried to get in where I was at he'd of had a tough time...

Sounds like the old farm/rancher boy husband of the nurse (who was just delivering a pop to his wife) may be the hero of the day-probably saved his wifes life, the ER doctors and my wifes--- when this guy started shooting up the parking lot- Scott -after being hit in the hip- reached in his vehicle and got a couple guns (pistol and rifle)-exchanged fire with him-and got him in his scope and stuck a .308 round in him.. Thats when the guy took off...

Still trying to wind down this morning...Still trying to figure out who the character is- and WHY?

How scary for you OT,thankfully your family's OK but I bet your feelings for the EMT shot put you into the "family feel" I know my best friends kids are like my own.

Whew it worked out ,seems like it was on its way to being way worse!!!!

Tough one OT. You will not be able to figure these idiots out, it might be just a waste of good brain energy. Sure hope he wasn't from Alberta as you were teasing us that the last several wacko's were.

Holy Smoke! That kind of excitement no one needs.

It's amazing how sometimes just a few seconds can make such a difference. Your wife surely has an angel on her shoulder. It's a terrible thing that happened, especially for the EMT and her family, but it could have been so so much worse. There sure are some crazy people running around these days.

Prayers go out to the families of the EMT and prayers of healing to those wounded.

It's times like these that make a person consider the training and responsibility of concealed carry something more of us should do. Just one more reason why we need to keep our guns.

Hopefully they will figure out the why. It may make it a little easier for the family of the EMT killed to accept what happened. Lost a sister-in-law in an all to similar situation, sometimes the why's go unanswered and it leaves a kind of empty spot in the rest of the family.

Not much new.. They still haven't positively IDed or released the name of the shooter-but I have heard a name- if it is who they think- could have made the motive drugs, revenge, and plain out nutso...Former resident who is a drug spaced out nut- who had also been kicked out of the ER previously for causing problems....It appears he may have been surveilling and stalking the ER entrance and parking lot for possibly days before...

The nurse Suzanne Billingsley and her husband Scott both should recover fine...Some who follow rodeo may know Scotts Dad Jack and brother Jay who both are long time PRCA ropers- and ranch west of here...Definitely appears Scott is a Hero- and probably prevented this nut from getting in the hospital and many more deaths and injuries....

Officials investigate 2 deaths in Glasgow hospital shooting
By MATTHEW BROWN
Associated Press

GLASGOW - State investigators are trying to unravel what they termed a sniper-style shooting at the local hospital that left a woman and the suspect dead and two others wounded.

The homicide - Glasgow's first in more than a decade - shook residents and left authorities searching for a possible motive.

Melissa Greenhagen, 37, of Glasgow, a part-time emergency medical technician and clerk of state district court in Valley County, was killed in the Saturday evening shooting in the Frances Mahon Deaconess Hospital parking lot, police said.

Authorities said a female nurse and her husband were wounded after rushing to aid the woman. They were both listed in stable condition at the hospital but were not immediately identified. Police said the suspect was later killed in a shooting involving police who followed a trail of blood to a house just south of town. The massive search for the man ended about 11:30 p.m. Saturday. Investigators were trying to identify the suspect and find a link between the suspect and Greenhagen.

The bodies of Greenhagen and the suspect will be transported to the Montana Crime Lab in Missoula for autopsies, authorities said.

Glasgow Police Chief Lyndon Erickson and Valley County Sheriff Glen Meier said they have requested assistance from the Montana Division of Criminal Investigation to investigate a homicide and an officer involved shooting.

Residents described how word of the shooting spread quickly through Glasgow, prompting homeowners to lock their doors and in some cases arm themselves. The town of about 3,500 people is located about 50 miles south of the Canadian border.

"Everybody knew who was killed and everybody knew who was hurt," said Marie Penderson, a local bartender who said she was an acquaintance of the victims. "We were all saying she couldn't be dead. We refused to believe it."

Authorities locked down the hospital and a nearby high school basketball game following the shooting and suspended train traffic along the BNSF railway until the suspect was found. No other suspects were being sought, Valley County Sheriff Glenn Meier said Sunday.

Meier and Erickson said it was the first homicide in the Glasgow area in 15 years.

"This has shocked all of us. Glasgow is place you feel comfortable raising your family," said Randy Holom, chief executive of the hospital.

Holom said he was at the hospital's annual holiday party about three blocks away when he got a call about the shoot-ing.

"When I got the call I thought it was a drill," he said.

The three victims were shot about 50 yards from the hospital's emergency room entrance. The hospital was locked down until about 1 a.m. with about 40 to 50 staff and an undetermined number of patients inside.

Unbelievable... but am glad to hear your wife made it through the ordeal. You never know what to think about people, although you always hope the best.

Just the other day I was talking to a friend about self-defense. My friend had had someone try to break in during the night last summer while she laid on the floor waiting to shoot him. I don't think she would've been legal shooting him on her enclosed porch, and he left before he got in. I know I would have no problem shooting someone if I had to defend myself :wink: .

Oldtimer we just learned today that Missy was the victim. We lived in Glasgow for 4 years. Missy is one of the first people we met. Her sons were in my son's grade at school and he spent a lot of time at with them or they were at our house. Missy and her husband were great to our son and made sure he felt welcome and had friends. What a loss. This sucks.

Frisco said:
Oldtimer we just learned today that Missy was the victim. We lived in Glasgow for 4 years. Missy is one of the first people we met. Her sons were in my son's grade at school and he spent a lot of time at with them or they were at our house. Missy and her husband were great to our son and made sure he felt welcome and had friends. What a loss. This sucks.

Yep-- Frisco-- Missy was a nice lady....I used to visit with her quite often when I took in marriage licenses to file...I'll never forget how proud of Grandpa her Dad was the day she had the twins...
Ironically- all the victims are parents of twins- as Scott and Suzanne have a set of twins too...Luckily my wife didn't make it out the door to continue the pattern (we have twins).... :roll:

So sorry for the individuals and the families involved in this crime and
thankful that it wasn't worse, although one person killed is way too many.
Our condolences to the family. Golly, what a tough thing.

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns."

Latest posts