• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

New recipe (I guess the 'Recipes' forum was taken away)

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
I'd like to start sharing some recipes here. I just tasted one at a Bunco party last night that I really liked.

Mexican Sweet Corn Pasta Salad (for those of you who don't use Pinterest)
The one I tasted had green chilies instead of jalapenos and queso fresco cheese.
She couldn't find fresh cilantro so used dry instead. Regardless, it was very good!!
  • 16 oz rotini pasta
  • 2 (15 oz) can golden kernel corn
  • 1 cup cotija cheese (Mexican crumbling cheese), or feta
  • ⅔ cups chopped cilantro
  • 1 small/ medium red onion, diced
  • 1.5 large fresh jalapenos, deseeded, deveined & diced (about ⅓ cup)
  • olive oil
Creamy Chile Lime Dressing
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • ½ cup real mayonnaise
  • 3-4 tablespoons lime juice
  • 2 t. chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • ½ teaspoon cumin, heaping
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • ¼ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
    • In a large pot of generously salted water, boil pasta just to al dente. Drain and let cool.
    • While pasta is boiling, heat olive oil in skillet over medium high heat. Drain corn and add to hot skillet. Corn should sizzle a little and possibly pop. Sautee corn until brown and a little seared. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
    • When pasta and corn are cooled, combine in a large bowl with chopped cilantro, diced onion, diced jalapeno peppers and 1 cup crumbled cotija cheese.
    • Whisk together dressing ingredients, drizzle about ½-2/3 over salad and toss. Save the rest of dressing for leftovers since the pasta will soak up the dressing and need refreshing.

My favorite recipe is simple. Buy or better yet select your own ranch grown well marbled chuck roast or brisket. The more fat the better the flavor. Cut it about 2" thick. Olive oil coat your skillet but don't have any puddles.

Salt and add any favorite spices, but be conservative. Brown the roast on all 6 sides and then reduce heat to low low, cover, and let cook for at least 4 hours turning every 30 minutes. No need to add any broth, just let it simmer in its own juice. That builds flavor. It works best on the range top, but a slow cooker would work also. It can be eaten any way you please, but my favorite is on a hoagie that is coated inside with horse radish mayonnaise. It works great if you want to make Au jus and dip it.

The other favorite is use this same type roast and cut it into 1/2" chunks and use it in a slow cooked chili with beans.

However you eat it, it is a wonderful real beef flavor that require no spice other than salt.

It makes a great easy meal after a day out working.

Last edited:
I know I posted this before, but it is buried deep somewhere in the forum.

My favorite ranch cookout is chunky beef chili, Dutch oven cornbread, and a cherry, apricot, or peach cobbler for desert.

Faye's Rockin Double F Roundup Chili

Ingredients

1 32oz can pinto beans
2 lb well-marbled chuck steak
1 32 oz cans of tomato sauce
1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 large sweet yellow onion
2 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/8 tsp white pepper
2 tbsp yellow mustard
1 tbsp olive oil
1 7 oz can hot tomato sauce (optional)

Feeds 2 to 4 adults

Preparation

Cut steak into ½" cubes. Leave all the fat. Rub olive oil around in the skillet. Season meat cubes with your favorite steak seasoning and brown. Dice up the onion and garlic. Add to skillet and sauté for a few minutes. Dump all the contents of the skillet into a 4 qt pot. Add the tomato sauce, beans, tomatoes, chili powder, white pepper, and yellow mustard. Stir up, add water to get the consistency you desire, and put on medium until it starts to simmer, and then put heat on low. Sample liquid for taste and add salt, more chili powder, and hot pepper sauce if desired, but add all these in small amounts, stir and taste. I would usually make two pots of chili, one with hot sauce and one mild. Stir up and leave on low for several hours. I always started early so it could cook for 10 hours. Be sure to lid the pot and watch liquid level although on low it should go all day without much loss. If you cannot attend it, just add a bit more water and forget about it until dinner time. I have a 16 qt pot that I have used and just multiplied all the ingredients by 4 and it came out great for filling 12 very large bowls. Serve with hot oven-fresh cornbread and lots of real butter.

My favorite recipe is simple. Buy or better yet select your own ranch grown well marbled chuck roast or brisket. The more fat the better the flavor. Cut it about 2" thick. Olive oil coat your skillet but don't have any puddles.

Salt and add any favorite spices, but be conservative. Brown the roast on all 6 sides and then reduce heat to low low, cover, and let cook for at least 4 hours turning every 30 minutes. No need to add any broth, just let it simmer in its own juice. That builds flavor. It works best on the range top, but a slow cooker would work also. It can be eaten any way you please, but my favorite is on a hoagie that is coated inside with horse radish mayonnaise. It works great if you want to make Au jus and dip it.

The other favorite is use this same type roast and cut it into 1/2" chunks and use it in a slow cooked chili with beans.

However you eat it, it is a wonderful real beef flavor that require no spice other than salt.

It makes a great easy meal after a day out working.
I jusr made an Apricot cobbler with Apricot jam. It's very good. I'd tweak it just a bit next time.

For anyone on Pintrest, here is a good pasta salad recipe.
I had never heard of putting corn with pasta, but it was very good so I asked for the recipe.
I used corn that I cut off the cob.
I put in green chilies instead of jalapeños. And I couldn't find fresh cilantro so I used dry. The cheese is called queso fresco. I found some at Walmart. It's round like brie, but crumbles easily like feta.

20230723_210845.jpg

Latest posts