• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

January 24th on the Desert

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
We took a swing today through the 4 sections where my cousin's cattle have been wintering. For a January day it was mild and a pretty day. Sure started out with an entire palate of colors. I left the house at 7 and headed 80 miles over to his place where we trailered the horses from. It was a balmy 11F this am. Not too bad.

4 Of us took our horses and trailers out to the ranch and unloaded. Then we rode over to Burn Canyon where the cattle are which is about 7 miles. Riding up through the cedars with sun a shinin' in our eyeballs.

We took the old horse trail and gained some elevation. Then we scattered out and started our gather. Our snow is mostly gone except for a few places on north facing slopes. We are at 45% of normal moisture. Its too dry.

The cattle are always scattered some this time of year. All ya can do is start making circles. Lots of country and none of it level. That's why ya cowboy I guess. Atleast that is why I love it. Never a dull moment. I headed east to check some gates and a meadow.

Self portrait of a shady character!

In order to find em' all, ya need to find the first one. There's my first old sister. She was alone in the cedars. Pointed her west.

Kicked out a little bunch and sent them up the ridge toward the trail. Those cows have done this a time or two. Ya kick them in the backside and they hit the trail and head over the ridge for water. Most of the time. :D

Looking east at Ott mountain.

Looking over Rooster's ears at Burn Canyon and the Sheeprock Flats. Maybe we ought'a re-name it the Sheeprock steeps. :lol:

Looking west at Simpson Mnt in the forefront and the Deep Creek Mnts way off yonder.

A zoomed in shot of the Deep Creeks which straddle the Utah-Nevada line more or less.

Phil and Bryce are a sitting down there waiting on Wayne and me. They never found a cow! Talk about sorry cowboys. :shock: :lol: But since Phil runs the outfit he can slack off some. Not sure if you can see them but they are there on light colored horses.

Following them back west toward water. Yippee Ki Yay.

Pit stop for a puffing pony. Had to pack around a fat guy all day so who can blame him.

Deets is a pretty good cowdog of Wayne's. Sure do save on the work. I joked with Wayne that all he needs is a go-pro camera taped on their heads and a radio ear phone on them and he could stay home and just send the dogs. They sure listen well.

Following them down through the cottonwood trees past Jake's cabin.

Deets out earning his dogfood.

Wayne checking on his mount's feet. I sure like riding with this bunch of guys. They are as good of hands as a guy can find and they put up with me which is much easier said than done.

Coming past King Solomon's ledge and making the corner for the copper Jack Flat. I was elected to turn them. I think the guys were just tired of hearing my talk. :( :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hard to see dust in January. But this is a desert. If ya have any extra rain or snow we'd love to borrow it.

Following the east end of westward bound cows.

Desert Mountain and a west desert sky make a pretty frame for a bovine picture.

Mi Amingo's

These mountains are my home. They don't have the majesty of the high Rockies. They don't have the green grasses of the Midwest. They may not have the romance of Texas or the plains of Nebraska. They don't have half-crazed Canadians hiding in an Alder thicket. But they hold a solitude and a specialness that I haven't found anywhere else I have roamed. God Bless the West Desert and the Great Basin! :D

Phil did help some today. He closed the gate when we had them in the corral! :wink: :p :D We found 48 head today. Only 23 left to find a ship home. We have been getting cows for a few weeks on weekends and trailering them home as we find them this year. I will miss our yearly 3 day drive to Delta. But it is sure fun gathering cows.

I sold Phil 322 last year. At least he has 1 good cow! :D Thanks for tagging along via your computer tonight. Hope to add more next week. Ya'll have a fine evening.

Pretty country funny how we all love our own slice of dirt.

Thats quite a corral I thought mine were a bit rugged but that has me beat. Effective and economical, and they wonder how you guy's survive on the desert.

Nice pictures!!! Which horse were you riding? They sure worked up a sweat. Always amazes me how easily they sweat in the winter.

gcreekrch said:
Thanks H, that was a nice trip.

Half crazed Canadians>? Nothing half way in this outfit................

I apologize for the generalization of all Canadians in my comment. I only know yourself, Burnt, Big Muddy, PER, Silver and a few others. My comment was based on who I know and half crazed is probably too low using the group above as a baseline. :D :D :D

Denny said:
Pretty country funny how we all love our own slice of dirt.

Thats quite a corral I thought mine were a bit rugged but that has me beat. Effective and economical, and they wonder how you guy's survive on the desert.

That old corral has held many a beef cow. Wish it could talk. Sadly, it belongs to what is now extended family and they are cutting it up for firewood. May be one of the last times we use it. While it is old and broken down, it sure wouldn't take much to fix er' up. But that project isn't meant to be is guess. Thanks for the compliment Denny! :D I haven't been called effective or economical at anything! :wink: In fact, most folks think I am Canadian. :shock: :???: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nicky said:
Nice pictures!!! Which horse were you riding? They sure worked up a sweat. Always amazes me how easily they sweat in the winter.

Rooster is one of Phil's mounts Nicky. He is aptly named as one cool morning he came out of the trailer with a hunch in his back. I swung up on and he just about blew up til I talked him out of it. Wayne and I rode about 50 yards, (wayne was on a colt) when Wayne's colt saw a tipped over sage brush and thought it was a cougar! Rooster sure flapped his wings and crowed! I stuck him til I lost a stirrup and then got piled. Rode further than Wayne did though! :D He has turned into a fine horse and so has Wayne's colt.

leanin' H said:
Nicky said:

Rooster is one of Phil's mounts Nicky. He is aptly named as one cool morning he came out of the trailer with a hunch in his back. I swung up on and he just about blew up til I talked him out of it. Wayne and I rode about 50 yards, (wayne was on a colt) when Wayne's colt saw a tipped over sage brush and thought it was a cougar! Rooster sure flapped his wings and crowed! I stuck him til I lost a stirrup and then got piled. Rode further than Wayne did though! :D He has turned into a fine horse and so has Wayne's colt.

Tell the truth Windy Bill!

You fall off the spring loaded rockin' horse in the living room regular..........

leanin' H said:
Nicky said:
How did Mrs 'H's new horse turn out.
Decent. She is a spooky cuss and not very cowy. Coming along though. Her horse is doing great! :D

Sounds like 'operator error' to me. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the trip. Very interesting! Looks like they were ready to be
moved. Glad you got it done and had a fine time doing it.

Latest posts