• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Disc mower

Help Support Ranchers.net:

got a old 5800 Hesston , 3800 hr , with a 16ft rotary header,got it 5 years ago for only $20,000. can cut a hundred acres a day... likes big wet meadows , with the heavy meadow foxtail, red top and reeds canary . cut this lite dry lad stuff over here on the new place... actually over equipped with my hay machinery for this place...

The vermeers are stout, easy to keep up. New Hollands don't break down often, can be worked on, hardest is replacing a complete box, usually you can just put a new rotor on top and go on. Like the deers, but when one needs to be worked on it is usually pretty involved.
Ran a 14 ft veermer,really liked it. Change knives in 10 min or less, it was the lightest of the bunch, as far as pounds, worked well in wet ground, had the 2 point hitch, less chatter, seemed to be easier on drive line.

Thinking more like the Vermeer, I have some ground you just can't mow with bar mower anymore. You spend more time in reverse or sitting still than going forward, just have to do something next year. Going to have rowse double 9 hydraulic to trade in on it.

I have a Vicon disc mower that I picked up at a farm sale that has been trouble free. There is a place in Whitman NE that sells and services them and has a twin mower set up. Emerson Equipment I believe. Vicon's have three blades on every disc instead of two.

You will never go back once you change. Did it 13 years ago and the parts bill dropped significantly with used discbines that were not young anymore. NH 1411s are quite simple to work on once you know them. JD hasn't learned to cut hay yet. Everything other than the cutters is green here.

In finer swamp hay and redtop, keep the knives sharp or it will look like a lawn mower did the cutting.

If a disc mower compares to a sickle bar mower like a discbine compares to a haybine then I would say it's a no brainer! But I've never run one or seen one used so I can't be of any help.

I have used several - in my opinion they were all good. I really like anything that will swing so I can cut on both sides.

In fact I have never met a discbine that I did not like once I got it into tip top shape.

I keep them well greased and oiled, well maintained and sharp knives. No equipment on this place leaves the yard to cut (or any other work) without being greased first.

They all cut like a dream when they are well maintained - I would never go back to anything with a knife bar unless forced in to it.

Interestingly enough I also have a NH 411 that is as old as the hills but is kept up and always shedded - it cuts like a dream.

Best to all.

Interesting. We just bought a Pottinger that we should be picking up this week. Watched them at the Farm Show in Langham and was impressed. They are also more than $30K less than a Deere or similar. We got the option of an extra support behind the cutter bar for rocky ground, high and medium lift skids and quick change knives. Did not get the hydraulic swath boards or the swath placement system that will merge two swaths on the go.

Latest posts