• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Canada to get China Chicken

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

The CFIA has begun studying a Chinese request to re-examine the blanket ban, but any changes would likely be limited to cooked and canned poultry clearly marked as a product of China, the director of the agency's meat program said.

I thought this quite interesting-- the Canadian government thinks its important enough that Canadian consumers should be told the origin of this chicken--but Canadians don't think US consumers should be allowed to know the origin of their beef/pork.... :shock: Could we be talking HYPOCRISY--eh :???: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

9/4/2007 1:08:00 PM

CFIA Rethinking Chinese Poultry Ban

According to a report in the Ottawa Citizen, The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is looking at changes to a current ban on Chinese poultry.

Fresh poultry from China is banned because of concerns about avian flu and Newcastle disease - the first because it can affect humans, and the latter because it could affect Canada's chickens.

The CFIA has begun studying a Chinese request to re-examine the blanket ban, but any changes would likely be limited to cooked and canned poultry clearly marked as a product of China, the director of the agency's meat program said.

The agency has completed a review of documents, and is inspecting Chinese slaughterhouses, processing plants and laboratories used to monitor antibiotic, pesticide and metal residues in the meat.

The initial inspections would be followed up by periodic audits of production facilities.

The news comes as consumers grow increasingly wary of products from China, and as Chinese officials are looking to open a market for cooked chicken products in the U.S., which has sparked outcry from groups ranging from elected officials to the United Poultry Growers Association.

Details at canada.com/ottawacitizen

Source: Canadian Meat Business

"but any changes would likely be limited to cooked and canned poultry clearly marked as a product of China, the director of the agency's meat program said."

Would this be a non-tariff protectionist trade barrier?

Oldtimer what's up:

....but Canadians don't think US consumers should be allowed to know the origin of their beef/pork.... Could we be talking HYPOCRISY--eh

You can label the meat all you want. I'd actually prefer this. Let the consumer know where their product comes from.

If the product label reads "product of Canada", I expect all the ingredients to be sourced from Canada - not China, like the gluten in the pet food.

Kathy said:
Oldtimer what's up:

....but Canadians don't think US consumers should be allowed to know the origin of their beef/pork.... Could we be talking HYPOCRISY--eh

You can label the meat all you want. I'd actually prefer this. Let the consumer know where their product comes from.

If the product label reads "product of Canada", I expect all the ingredients to be sourced from Canada - not China, like the gluten in the pet food.

Canadian would be labeled "Product of Canada"- Canadian cattle slaughtered in the US or US cattle fed in Canada would be labeled "Product of US and Canada"...The truth as to where the animals spent any time....

But some Canadians apparently don't like the truth....

Apparently you didn't see this post--Canadian cattle and hog producers are opposing M-COOL and talking of suing or making it a NAFTA challenge...They appear as tho they are afraid Canadian products won't sell unless they can continue to pass them off as US product thru FRAUD and DECEPTION....

http://ranchers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20281

I just don't understand what the deal is. Topics on US policy, laws, organizations, etc... bring out plenty Canadian comments, but none on a specifically Canadian topic? I just don't get it.........yeah right! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sandhusker said:
I just don't understand what the deal is. Topics on US policy, laws, organizations, etc... bring out plenty Canadian comments, but none on a specifically Canadian topic? I just don't get it.........yeah right! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Its getting lonely in your Sandbox isn't it!

Sandhusker -
I just don't understand what the deal is. Topics on US policy, laws, organizations, etc... bring out plenty Canadian comments, but none on a specifically Canadian topic? I just don't get it.........yeah right!

Most Canadian producers are proud to say that we are damn fine cattle producers. Some of us admit that in general we do not sell beef. (yours truly excluded). Commodity beef in Canada is owned by two American multinational companies. And YES they are using deception if they change the label on "product of Canada boxes IF they change the origin or conveniently leave it off when the beef is further packaged or processed. Will it take new policy, as in COOL, to stop this obvious misuse of power? I guess maybe. Too bad it will come out of the pockets of American producers and not simply their own.

What worries me is the past actions of Rcalf and the gang and what it could mean in the future for your poor cattle producers should they choose to slander Canadian beef once again after some form of COOL is in place. Can you say "NO CHICKENSHIT IN CANADIAN LIVESTOCK"real loud Sandhusker? The new ABP/CCA is practicing - along with mandatory identification and all the other things that Canadian producers pay for to try to counter the smear ads by Rcalf. I can only dream of the day that our government has the guts to tell Cargill and Tyson that we are going to test for BSE as well. Maybe a few of those upcoming Rcalf ad campaigns will be enough to twist their arms the final twist. :wink:

rkaiser said:
Sandhusker -
I just don't understand what the deal is. Topics on US policy, laws, organizations, etc... bring out plenty Canadian comments, but none on a specifically Canadian topic? I just don't get it.........yeah right!

Most Canadian producers are proud to say that we are damn fine cattle producers. Some of us admit that in general we do not sell beef. (yours truly excluded). Commodity beef in Canada is owned by two American multinational companies. And YES they are using deception if they change the label on "product of Canada boxes IF they change the origin or conveniently leave it off when the beef is further packaged or processed. Will it take new policy, as in COOL, to stop this obvious misuse of power? I guess maybe. Too bad it will come out of the pockets of American producers and not simply their own.

What worries me is the past actions of Rcalf and the gang and what it could mean in the future for your poor cattle producers should they choose to slander Canadian beef once again after some form of COOL is in place. Can you say "NO CHICKENSHIT IN CANADIAN LIVESTOCK"real loud Sandhusker? The new ABP/CCA is practicing - along with mandatory identification and all the other things that Canadian producers pay for to try to counter the smear ads by Rcalf. I can only dream of the day that our government has the guts to tell Cargill and Tyson that we are going to test for BSE as well. Maybe a few of those upcoming Rcalf ad campaigns will be enough to twist their arms the final twist. :wink:

What smear ads by R-CALF?

Sandhusker said:
rkaiser said:

What smear ads by R-CALF?

Here is a Wikipedia definition of news / press releases

news release
Same as press release
A prepared publicity or news announcement; a handout.

A news release, press release or press statement is a written or recorded communication directed at members of the news media for the purpose of announcing something claimed as having news value. Typically, it is mailed, faxed, or e-mailed to assignment editors at newspapers, magazines, radio stations, television stations, and/or television networks. Commercial press-release distribution services such as Business Wire and PR Newswire are also used to distribute news releases. …….
A news release is different from a news article. A news article is a compilation of facts developed by journalists published in the news media, whereas a news release is designed to be sent to journalists in order to encourage them to develop articles on the subject. A news release is generally biased towards the objectives of the author.The use of news releases is common in the field of public relations, the aim of which is to attract favorable media attention to the PR firm's client, and publicity, the aim of which is to attract favorable media attention for products marketed by the client.

…….Video News Releases ….. Another frequent example of VNRs masquerading as news footage is videotapes of particular medical "breakthroughs," that are really produced and distributed by pharmaceutical companies for the purpose of selling new medicines.

Video News Releases can be in the form of full blown productions costing tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands. They can also be in the TV news format, or even produced for the web.

Recently, many broadcast news outlets have discouraged the use of VNR's. Many stations, citing an already poor public perception, want to increase their credibility. Public relations companies are having a tougher time getting their pre-edited video aired……….

News releases have been a large source of criticism against various types of journalists, who sometimes rely on them heavily. Many articles in the business press, particularly, are little more than recycled press releases. Some people criticize writers for creating articles in this way, contending that it constitutes free advertising for the company on whose behalf the news release was issued, especially if it is not contrasted with criticism of that company or product in the same article. On the other hand, few dispute that news releases remain a valuable way for media to be made aware of new products and services, and recent and upcoming events of interest………s releases remain a valuable way for media to be made aware of new products and services, and recent and upcoming events of interest………

I am referencing R-CALF and gangs use of news / press releases. :wink: :wink: :p

Latest posts