• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

automatic or standard

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hayguy said:
jodywy said:
friend has a 03 ford 6.0 diesel 330000 miles original trans and he's hard on it
I know a few Ford owners that the 6.0 diesel turned them into Dodge or GM owners

way more than just a few

That's true, some of us did turn into Dodge or GM owners. But some of us learned our lesson and went back :cowboy:

Standard transmissions - love them.

Park them in the yard and leave the keys in the ignition - it is a millennial anti theft device in its own right.

Best to all

I used to love the standard transmission, spent enough years driving an 18 speed that they lost their appeal. Now it's nice to just put it in D and go. Use the manual shift as required. It's like a day off.

...the older we get...just like old tractor's that require that you be a gymnast/contortionist to get in and out of...

too soon old, too late smart... :lol:

We have friends who ranch and work in the oilfield and use mostly Dodges and one Ford.
Here is what I learned:
Their 2011 Dodge has a better exhaust brake than the 2014 Ford. They say all the Dodge exhaust brakes are better.
Fords with 6.7 engine has more power than the Dodge Cummins.
They have cracked exhaust manifolds in the Dodge.
They do work the Dodges harder than the Ford gets worked, but have talked to many who like their Fords
that do work them hard.
Ford runs cooler than Dodge, 210 degrees vs 170, hence the cracked exhaust manifolds.
When injector goes in Dodges, it falls into the piston and wipes the engine out.

As they replace pickups, they plan to go with Fords.

Just test drove all three. Had a 97 f 350 best truck I ever owned. The 6.0 turned me into a GMC man in 06 356,000 and it is now the best truck I have ever owned had a 2016 d350 6.7 is not a 350,000 mile engine the auto is far inferior to the Allison. Still have the GMC and the Dodge is parked until my 2019 GMC gets here. I am a Deisel mechanic by trade. And work on all of them. Just test drive all three last month and took them down a 15% grade had to use the brakes on the ford twice! The dodge Quite a few times, and the GMC I never touched the brake in fact I had to give it throttle. Bought the GM again! Very disappointed in the Dodge. The 2019 GM has a bigger cab like the ford. My ego was put aside many years ago and I try to be subjective and the DEF system on the Dodge has issues, the ford DEF system is put in a poor spot and we get lots of failed fuel systems from getting the DEF in the fuel tank this is a $10,000 bill every time. The GM Def system works pretty well and we see few issues since 2014. Yes thedef tank looks like a low hanging problem but put a tape on it and it is higher than the frame and higher than the diff. And if you rip a hole in it you are doing something not very dam smart to start with. Ok if your looking for a used Dodge buy the standard and find a5.9

W.T said:
Just test drove all three. Had a 97 f 350 best truck I ever owned. The 6.0 turned me into a GMC man in 06 356,000 and it is now the best truck I have ever owned had a 2016 d350 6.7 is not a 350,000 mile engine the auto is far inferior to the Allison. Still have the GMC and the Dodge is parked until my 2019 GMC gets here. I am a Deisel mechanic by trade. And work on all of them. Just test drive all three last month and took them down a 15% grade had to use the brakes on the ford twice! The dodge Quite a few times, and the GMC I never touched the brake in fact I had to give it throttle. Bought the GM again! Very disappointed in the Dodge. The 2019 GM has a bigger cab like the ford. My ego was put aside many years ago and I try to be subjective and the DEF system on the Dodge has issues, the ford DEF system is put in a poor spot and we get lots of failed fuel systems from getting the DEF in the fuel tank this is a $10,000 bill every time. The GM Def system works pretty well and we see few issues since 2014. Yes thedef tank looks like a low hanging problem but put a tape on it and it is higher than the frame and higher than the diff. And if you rip a hole in it you are doing something not very dam smart to start with. Ok if your looking for a used Dodge buy the standard and find a5.9
I know that there used to be issues regarding the front suspension on the GMs, but our experience has been that now they're improved to be at least on par with Ram and Ford. Just give the ball joints and anything else with a zerk a couple shots of grease when you change the oil, and air and cabin filters, and you can expect at least 100,000 miles of relatively hard use before parts need replaced. We have a car lift that makes servicing vehicles much easier. Side by sides and ATVs fit on it as well.....barely.

They Dodge Death wobble is a combination of a couple of things but the one cause that is always overlooked is the front crossmember it works loose causing the front end to wiggle try tightening the bolts!

Latest posts