• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

All we can do now is see if domocracy really works

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rkaiser

Reaction score
Well the zone meetings are over and now we will se if the opinions of the ABP/CCA board or the will of the producer wins out in the end.

The final meeting was a real hoe down in Fort Macleod. I guess most would say that we were the Indians as we did have the most war paint on. Four years of getting belittled by the brass tends to bring out the disdain in some of us.

I would guess that this was the largest meeting in the province right near the home of the legendary bse testing be littler and CCA chairman, Hugh Lynch Staunton. A good four hours from my zone but I wasn't going to miss this one. By the way - in my zone - I ran under one basic policy - that being BSE testing for export marketing purposes and fully expect to be the newest member of the new ABP.

Thought I would take the democracy thing out on two fronts. Run for a position and carry forward resolutions with the same message.

We were defeated trying to take the checkoff back a voluntary, but had a couple of resolutions passed promoting a portion be directed to the group of choice.

The issue of the day (in my little mind anywhooo) was soundly supported in the final meeting in my zone and at the Hoe Down at the Fort Macleod Auction Market. The CCA Pres. and the vice Pres. of ABP did there best to ward off the bows and arrows flying from almost every corner of the room but in the end had to succumb to a major majority in favor of BSE testing for export marketing purposes. All of the major provincial organisations were represented and like I posted before - 4 of the 5 groups that now consist of the round table discussions with our Provincial government support testing. Will ABP/CCA join the team?

Now we see if all the talk about "our organisation", "producer directed ABP" and all of the other little tidbits offered throughout the meetings are true. Will the zone delegates and the two chairpersons in Frot Macleod listen to what was said by the said producers? Will they either vote with their zone for resolutions passed in their zone or abstain at the AGM if they have a different personal opinion? Time will tell.

But one thing for sure - the volume will be turned up at the AGM if democracy is not adhered to. ( that is as long as my predictions of being elected are not just Kaiser's silly mind.)

Hi di ho neighbors - I'm gonna take a couple of days off and sell the **** out of some of our damn cattle at at local trade show. Hope I'm not set up beside the ABP /Cargill /Tyson beef sales booth like I was last year. Kinda hard selling truly Canadian beef beside folks with mega checkoff dollars from my customers pockets - selling beef for Cargill and Tyson after they (legally) stole it from our producers in the first place. :p

Congratulations Randy.
I hope you can make a difference. I know it will be a tough sell but you sound like you have support behind you.
We in Sask are being faced with a group wanting to create a ABP for us.

good job randy. i wonder if ranchers beef going down isn't going to stir up enough anger that guys like hugh lynch-staunton will have to start answering some tough questions. the cca has taken the attitude that their strategy is successful because it has prevailed for this long instead of having to face the fact we've all been damaged and they can take a large share of the responsibility. the fact is there has been so much equity lost in this industry and like energy it isn't destroyed merely transferred. reports i hear out of alberta regarding numbers and the future of the feeding industry should scare the heck out of all of us. there are a few on here that will get some satisfaction but in the final analysis, what is happening up here started down there and isn't getting any better for them either.

Ranchers Beef, will open again with the top few investors, the smaller investors and the tax payers will take this loss.

Best Regards
Ben Roberts

Membership of who elwapo. I would say that a vast majority of producers but hopelessly few of the followers at ABP. Have you ever had a chance to admit the you were wrong and instantly switched direction?

Although - Hugh said to one of our BIG C boys down at the meeting that a big part of him wants to see testing work??????????????? This will definitely be followed up on by yours truly when we meet face to face at the AGM.

Let's just dream for a second. More American beef coming up to Canada right now than any time in history due to the dollar. Then they start up this ecoli testing BS to bury us even further. If now is not the time to start using the BSE testing opportunity when is. Canadian Cool with BSE tested product instead of the markedly lower and questionable surveillance testing in the good old USA. Don't know about the rest of you - but I have simply had enough of this follow the packer led USDA crap. We need to take back control of this bloody Canadian beef industry RIGHT NOW. If the American producers are too blind to see what is happening --- we can not wait for them........

My question was about the ABP membership. I wholeheartedly support your position for one reason....nothing else has seemed to work. We are seeing below production cost prices for calves right now, perhaps this will wake up Joe Producer.

Sorry to keep asking a question of your question elwapo - but less than 2% of Alberta producers show up and even less vote on issues concerning ABP --- yet they consider themselves the democratic voice of the producer.

If you are asking about the percentage of delegates - I can't say for sure. I do know that the question of testing has been outvoted at the AGM after myself and others have had numerous resolutions passed at zone meetings fro the last 3 years. As for the numbers for and against ---- hell they don't even include the actual defeated resolutions in their mail out let alone show how close the vote may have been.

I think that the vote could be a bit closer at this December's AGM, as the blood is a gushing and no one is really insulated anymore.

Herr kaiser-- run this past ABP/CCA/NCBA for airlifting beef to Asia....Its about their speed...... :wink: :lol:

canada-strikes-back3.jpg

Is that the same one that the USDA has been usnig for Korean exports Oldtimer? It may be fun to watch the Canadian Industry faulter but you boys are going to follow if you don't get a bigger slingshot yourselves.

rkaiser said:
Is that the same one that the USDA has been usnig for Korean exports Oldtimer? It may be fun to watch the Canadian Industry faulter but you boys are going to follow if you don't get a bigger slingshot yourselves.

Yep--ABP/CCA/NCBA/ can/will lead us all into being serfs on Packer owned/controlled ranch's if they keep getting their way...They've seemed to have put it on fast track mode lately....

While the price of food has risen 23% in the last 2 quarters in the states (probably more actually in Canada)-- the price of the number one protein source, cattle is dropping...And the goold old boys clubs (ABO/CCA/NCBA) are sitting in Ottowa and D.C. telling those folks how good things are because their Packer buddies are stuffing their pockets....

Latest posts