• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

70 ?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

George

Reaction score
I could not find much help yesterday so I had a 72 year old neighbor drive the tractor and this 70 year old fart along with a 50 year old neighbor stacked almost 800 bales on wagons.

My wagons are 9' wide and 18' long so if you stack 6 wide and 6 high with a 4 wide tie you get 40 bales to a run and 5 runs to a wagon with about 2' to stand on. 200 bales to a wagon and very stable.

We had a great breeze and plenty of water - - - after we got the 4 wagons loaded the rest went into 3 round bales - - -

The wagons will just stay loaded until I feed it off - - - I normally give free choice to round bales but still put out a few squares each day so the cattle always come to me when they see me.

I am down to 13 cows, and calves and 1 bull so if I give them one bale a day on pasture they stay very sociable and easy to check on and work with.

The 50 year old and I discussed when he was in hi school and I taught him to bale - - - he was amased how easy I made it look at the time - - - now I am still OK up to 5 high but then I had to climb on a 4 high stack and stack back the last run to get them to 6 plus a tie.

I must say the 4 wagons look great but I came in like a wiped pup and took a shower and was done for the night!

I fell out of my service truck about 11 months ago and tore a rotator cuff in my right shoulder and was not sure I could keep up the pace but really feel pretty good this morning. When training new Deputies I heard a couple of them remark they could not believe the "Old Man" could keep up the pace and I embarrassed them when I told them I was not an old man I was an "Old Marine" and they better not forget!

I would have hired younger people but they don't seem to want to work - - - Just get it done!

:tiphat: Good for you, George. I'm proud of you. I am envious of your ability to do this job, but not envious of you having that job to do. I am grateful to the person who invented hydraulics, so old fat guys like me can still get quite a lot of work done without having to work too hard. Congratulations. You are staying young and in good shape, and that is very admirable in this modern day and age when so many people are not in good physical condition and don't know how to work. My hat is off to you. :tiphat:

Latest posts