• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Whats your favorite ranch/farm dog???

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I'm pretty partial to a Border Collie/ Heeler cross. That is what both of ours are. These 2 have been the hardest for me to get to respond the way I want them to, but its more my fault then theirs.

my cowchaser

calves024.jpg

I just love my German Shepherds - - - They need constant work if you want them to be cattle dogs and mine are OK with me and my cattle but I don't spend the time to make them good ( I did about 30 years ago when I was running many more cows)

But house breakins and theft are common around here and when people come to my place and get met at the car door by at least 3 large German Shepherds and a few large pups they decide to rob the neighbors instead. I breed for the silver gray color and many people think they are wolves - - - I just love that color - - my K9 dog while on the sheriff's Dept was a 146# silver grey male and wanted to work till the end ( he was killed at age 14 by a new Charolis cow )

Each person needs an animal that fits their need - - - that is why there are so many good breeds out there.

Sadie.jpg

This is an 18 month female that is watching the cows as I walk thru the new calves. She will stay out unless I call her in or if she sees a cow getting to close to me she will bark ( I'm not sure if she is warning me or getting the cows attention ) This is the color I beed for.

100_0527.jpg

Ameego died last fall and we haven't replaced him... Lab/delmation cross... Best cowdog we've ever had.. He would trail cattle and watch a gate like no other. He was my right hand man.... He was good to my kids and was loved by the cats...

This is 2 of my current dogs. Jack is a papered BC and Buster is something else. :D
Feb1dogsandhfrs009.jpg

This the pup Ace. He is really wanting to work, his biggest problem is exuberance. He is Kelpie and red heeler.
Copy3ofdeerdoraandplay018.jpg

PC088785.jpg

This is Red Dog she is a catahula just a puppy right now. The one in the shadow of the box is Tess she is a border collie

20101020095335-1.jpg

This is the Red Dog last fall right after I got her

20110409092044.jpg

This is my wifes loyal mutt Kitty she is a bulldog akeada mix nice pet just not a lot of brain power

20110409091912.jpg

this is Squirt she is a 3/4 collie 1/4 heeler this is my favorite cross she is not afraid to get right in and get dirty

20101018135855-1.jpg

This a picture I took last year of the pups that Squirt had. Not to tryin to promote them but she is due with another batch any day and if anyone on here is interested in them let me know

I am on a "ranchette"
Missy is "shoers" dog she is back with me for a bit ( ssshhhhh I hope for good) She worked for a year bringing cows down the moutians of Idaho. Now she LOL barks are the dairy calves the guy nextdoor raises. Well when they get too close to the fence close to the horses.
She is kelpie/collie cross
Dally is full blue heeler, I think and anyone who sees her. She pays no attention to cows or horses just people and dogs. She is a friend to EVERYONE. I hate to say this but I have to tye her up when I let her outside since she has "rounds" to make and I cant get her to understand Texline is NOT under her watch. :roll: I guess she appionted herself the greeter to Texline cuz she would stay at the Allsups when they were full just wagging her tail and letting kids pet her. :?

I know we have all lost a fur baby and we know they are part of the family. Sending prayers to all who still feel the pain of losing their baby.
I have always believed that dogs are the ones to teach us how God loves Us.

Dally-mud-pit.jpg

Dally
Missy-Looking.jpg

Missy

There are so many great breeds. I like the Belgian Shepherds. They are highly intelligent, alert, sensitive to everything going on around them and form very strong relationship bonds. They are loyal, fun, highly trainable and well suited to family life.
Belgian Shepherds do well in sports such as obedience training and dog agility. They are used as assistance and search and rescue dogs, as well as police, military and narcotics dogs. They are also a great herding dog. There are 4 different varieties of Belgian Shepherds... the Tervuren, Groenendael, Laekenois and Malinois.
Both my girls are Tervuren's.

IMG_4228.jpg

This is Brannah, she's 10 this year. She's a great old dog and loves everyone.

IMG_9280.jpg

IMG_1307221.jpg

This is Maddie, she's coming 3 this year. She's very active and loves to run like crazy.
Here she is moving a couple of the neighbour's bulls that showed up here.

IMG_906623.jpg

cure ~ I just have to comment on that catahoula dog, we had one that looked almost identical but both of his eyes were blue and brown marbled. He was a great dog and family friend and could sense if someone or something wasn't welcome...otherwise wouldn't hurt a fly. He could go all day over miles of country and never give up! I hope you have as great of luck with yours as we did ours!! He was truly part of the family......we lost him about 2 yrs ago to old age....RIP Jake. Beautiful, great kinda dogs!!

My favorite cow dog right now is Nikki. She saved my @ss tonight. My cows that I had corralled to start AI'ing, some how got out. I am by myself and all I could think of was getting Nik to help. When it got really muddy here I kept her inside so she does not get hurt or worse yet tear anything. But I was in a real bind so I brought them up and she moved them in , all her doing . She was phenomenal !! I was really worried about her working in the mud, but she seems to be just fine now after a nice warm bath and a meal of her homemade dog food . :wink:
For those that do not know her story ,Nikki had FHR surgery 6 months ago and she is only a year old, we have not done any real training because of this .

What was really funny ,she actually directed me as what to do. It was almost like she was saying "look I have this under control, my dad was a 2 time world stock dog champ and my grandma a 3 time champ , you are a newbie .. Let me handle this ." LOL :lol:

Ya just gotta love cattle dogs !!!

Latest posts