• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What do you call a farmer

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Never said I hate farmers asswipe, just said that I'm not one. Now crawl back in your hole.

BAR BAR 2 said:
Never said I hate farmers asswipe, just said that I'm not one. Now crawl back in your hole.

Your hole? No, thanks buddy.. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

MsSage said:
With as many people feeling famers/ranchers are only hurting animals and the land my question is this....
Does it really matter or are they both the same. Do food producers need to divide themselves anymore or should they be joining forces to educate those who do not understand where their food comes from?

Yeah I know all I am is a backyard horse owner who works in corrections. Hail I cant even get a good garden to grow or build a fence. So why waste time thinking about what I post.
Would you live near Perryton, Tx.?

i consider myself a rancher. i do farm some, but i try to do a poor job at it so nobody can call me a farmer. so far, it has worked. :wink: :D

I think some of it is geographical as well. We farm small grains to graze in the winter and spring. Let it go to crab grass in the summer for grazing and then till it and do it again. 90% of our income is from cattle but I do drive a tractor, never have walked behind a mule.

Seems like a lot of feedlot riders in our area call themselves cowboys, where a lot of feedlot riders in the corn belts wear caps and call themselves farmers- but they are both riding horses.

I would prefer to be labeled a cowman.

If it takes some farming and grass management in order to produce the beef that leaves this location on the hoof so be it.

If I had really wanted to be a cowboy I would have gotten a job as one years ago. :wink:

In my experience, most self labeled cowboys can ride, rope, brand and drink and not much else. Sometimes you can even get some of them to actually sweat from other than the heat.

Rocky by road I am 145 miles away but as the crow flies prob about 60 miles straight across.
Texline is south of Clayton NM where the Santa Fe trail goes through. They are suppose to have something this summer along the "Trail" I have not been out there yet and I go past the Museum when I go to the store.

I'm just an independent human that tries to make the world a little better every day. To get to where I am today I started out working in a factory and part time deputy sheriff and renting a small farm all at the same time. After 15 years in the factory I took and early retirement and opened the gravel pit on the farm I had purchased. I soon got so busy I quit the sheriffs dept and only farmed 1,500 acres and ran the gravel pit.

I own a gravel pit and work at it. I have cattle guards so I can run cattle in the pit to give me a little peace of mind an keep the grass down. I have around 25 cows normally. I also breed German Shepherd dogs ( is that part of ranching or farming)

My son has taken over the "farming " and we put out about 2,300 acres of corn and soybeans and has some ground that needs cattle so he has about 30 head down there.

He is also the fastest growing and becoming one of the largest and best seed dealers in the area.

I also have a shooting range and we are close to signing a contract for training swat teams from 4 counties. As I get older I'm liking that more than running a loader all day.

Now you tell me what I am

First a christian
Second a father and husband
Third a Marine
Fourth ( I hope ) just an all round good person!

I guess I just refuse to be put in a "title" but I can say I have spent years of my life trying to make it safe for idiots to spout off when they want - - but that does not mean I will not express my view as well.

George said:
I'm just an independent human that tries to make the world a little better every day. To get to where I am today I started out working in a factory and part time deputy sheriff and renting a small farm all at the same time. After 15 years in the factory I took and early retirement and open the gravel pit on the farm I had purchased. I soon got so busy I quit the sheriffs dept and only farmed 1,500 acres and ran the gravel pit.

I own a gravel pit and work at it. I have cattle guards so I can run cattle it the pit to give me a little peace of mind an keep the grass down. I have around 25 cows normally. I also breed German Shepherd dogs ( is that part of ranching or farming)

My son has taken over the "farming " and we put out about 2,300 acres of corn and soybeans and has some ground that needs cattle so he has about 30 head down there.

He is also the fastest growing and becoming one of the largest and best seed dealers in the area.

I also have a shooting range and we are close to signing a contract for training swat teams from 4 counties. As I get older I'm liking that more than running a loader all day.

Now you tell me what I am

First a christian
Second a father and husband
Third a Marine
Fourth ( I hope ) just an all round good person!

I guess I just refuse to be put in a "title" but I can say I have spent years of my life trying to make it safe for idiots to spout off when they want - - but that does not mean I will not express my view as well.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :tiphat:

Dang noone ever said anything bad about anyone, but it sure sounds like the ones who actually do a little farming are a little sensitive.

BAR BAR 2 said:
Dang noone ever said anything bad about anyone, but it sure sounds like the ones who actually do a little farming are a little sensitive.

I think it goes way back to the sod busting....ranchers and farmers have butted heads. I am both, and enjoy both. to see all the baby calves is just as exciting as seeing a crop emerge and grow.

I will leave it up to my peers to decide what I am, it matters not to me I have been called both. I would have to see a persons operation to decide whether I thought they were farmers or ranchers. The one thing that is certain is I know some really good farmers that are a damn sight better cowman than some ranchers I know. I also know some ranchers that have done nothing else their whole life and you could never tell by looking at their operation. I guess I would have to say that I am a put your money where your mouth is type of person, I am probably not the best at anything but can do about everything, I call it like I see it and try not to judge anyone.

I would say that if you sell more animals than feed you could if you chose call your self a rancher, here you have to feed in the winter so if you don't grow it your self you are at some one elses mercy as to price and quality.
Most "ranchers" in this country put up their own feed, some "farmers" have cattle to graze their uncroppable land. Most do what they preffer. But we all have a green sticker on our liscence plate that says FARM , Don't see why it should be a problem , maybe we should go all politically correct and go with "food producers", but then.....

I agree with gcreek and george. As a young producer, the title I hope to achieve in this business is "cattleman". To me, this would mean that I had gained an understanding of what the industry is about, knew what I was doing and needed to do, and was also respected by my peers, which means a great deal to me. None of these titles are the "right" of anyone, no matter what you call yourself. It has to be earned, the title of rancher has to be earned, the title of farmer has to be earned or any combination of the two. Just because you own or rent some land, livestock, or equipment or just because your dad and grandad were a farmer or rancher doesn't make you or give you the right to call yourself any of these--It's what you do with it and how you do it when its your money, your responsibility, and your ass on the line that counts.

Soapweed said:
oldblood said:
Soapweed said:
What is the difference between a cowboy and a rancher?

A cowboy's belt buckle covers up his belly, and a ranchers's belly covers up his belt buckle. :wink: :)

So soapweed what one are you. :)

I suppose my only truthful answer would be "an ex-cowboy and present rancher."

I can relate :? :? :?

OK, now here's how you can tell. You have a piece of farm ground, the rancher will wonder how much good grazing he can get off of it. The farmer will go get the plow and work the ground if a cow set foot on the ground and leaves a footprint. :lol: :wink: :wink:

My family does both...why can't you raise a crop/hay to feed your livestock and sell what you don't need to profit your outfit?? Can't you be both? It's like saying you can't be members of the FFA AND 4H club, and heaven forbid you support them both. Terrible topic of conversation....we all help one another. Putting it on the table is what its all about!

Latest posts