• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What animal care products or gizmos.....

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Oldtimer said:
Something you probably already have-- but to me is one of the greatest things of the last few years is the little 2-3 battery LED flashlights...
I remember years ago- if you wanted any light you packed a huge battery under one arm- and a big old light in the other hand-- and now you can check calving cows at night driving around with a remote operated spotlight on the pickup- and when you get out to check closer- or when on foot or horseback pack a little flashlight that you can hold in your mouth while getting the same light....
The LED "miners type" cap/head band lights also work good for pulling calves in the middle of the night out on the prairie too- and keeping hands free...

I hauled a pile of those little LED flashlights down to Venezuela because they can be tough to find and expensive when you do find them. We corral our animals at night and the fellow who watches the place routinely does a night check or two on the animals, especially when they're calving.

Speaking of light and night checks, I have two things. One is a SureFire tactical light, they put out a TON of light, also good for defense in combonation with your handgun.
31t5dXmskVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I also have a NightOwl (Russian) Night vision monocular for checking animals at night.
412RTRNEZDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

some of the hunting/fishing/outdoor stores carry caps with LED lights built into the brim, i used to use the miner style but these are better.

A nice big bottle of epinephrine for everyone to have handy when giving multiple shots etc..... easy to lose a cow/calf quickly from anaphalactic shock and the cost of the product is very small.

Our little doscount tool store has 5 light led lights that clamp under the brim of your cap or cowboy hat. They are about $2.50 @ and you can turn on 1 bulb for just walking thru the herd or all 5 and it give you enough light for intricat task. Great under the hood of a truck.

Batteries will last for several months when used a couple of hours a week.

George said:
Our little doscount tool store has 5 light led lights that clamp under the brim of your cap or cowboy hat. They are about $2.50 @ and you can turn on 1 bulb for just walking thru the herd or all 5 and it give you enough light for intricat task. Great under the hood of a truck.

Batteries will last for several months when used a couple of hours a week.

those are pretty damn handy :nod:

cordless electric drills and cordless impact wrenches have been invaluable around here,nothing gets nailed everything gets screwed :D :twisted: mostly because i have to take thing's apart 2 or 3 times to get it right :oops:

About once a year a head snare is a pretty handy gadget to have on hand. OB wire and nose tongs are also convenient to have when you need them.

Have to agree on Rompum for sure. We had a cow that had twins the other night and could not catch her to get the second one pulled. It has coming backwards. Usually we would have roped her and tied her down, but a buddy had just bought a dart gun, so we went to the vet got some Rompum and shot her one time. No stress, got the calf pulled and in 10 minutes she was up licking the babies. Very impresed!!!

Nuflor.....my family uses this and the Nuflor Gold and swears by it! We weighed the pros and cons of mycotil and decided it was not a drug we wanted around! No one mentioned a calf puller?? Ace is another good drug like rompum. I saw the tubing bag further up, I agree, but may also need a calf bottle...we always have some bottle calves. All I can come up with right now! Good Luck to you!!

Latest posts