• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ted Turner Fights Road Paving

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
Turner fights road paving
By The Associated Press

BOZEMAN - Lawyers for media mogul Ted Turner persuaded a district judge to issue a restraining order blocking Gallatin County from paving a five-mile stretch of road that runs through Turner's sprawling Flying D Ranch south of here.

Attorneys for Turner Enterprises Inc. obtained the order from District Judge John Brown. It bars the county from paving a segment of Spanish Creek Road.

Commissioners said the county has been planning to pave the road for years.

To save money, the county was planning to use millings - essentially ground-up rubble from other road projects - provided by the Montana Department of Transportation to pave the road. Joe Barr Coleman, an attorney representing Turner, said they sought the restraining order that was issued Monday because the millings could endanger water quality in Spanish Creek, which runs parallel to the road.

Turner asked Brown to stop the work until a full environmental review can be accomplished.

Under the Montana Environmental Protection Act, all agencies are required to research the environmental impacts of state projects, Coleman said.

"My understanding is this has not been done." he said.

"Paving the road will increase surface water runoff and contamination of the creek, thereby irreparably damaging water quality and fisheries, and will ruin the unspoiled viewshed, while making the road more dangerous for both vehicles and wildlife," Coleman said.

Commission Chairman Joe Skinner said the county has never had any violations or complaints about water quality from past road projects that used millings.

A meeting between the county and Turner's representatives last Friday left both Skinner and Commissioner Steve White with the impression everything was basically all right, White said.

"There was no mention of this action, there was no mention of anything about water quality," White said. "This whole thing is just a big surprise."

The gravel road carries about 450 vehicles a day, making it a prime candidate for paving. It also generates more than 200 hours of work a year for county road maintenance crews, work that would be reduced considerably by paving, White said.

Unfortunately, the county's cost to pave a road with asphalt is about $120,000 a mile, compared to about $20,000 a mile using millings. Without millings, the road will likely never be paved, White said.

And the state, which trucked in the millings for the project, will likely truck them away again if the project is held up for a significant time, White said.

Is he fighting the use of millings?

If so, where are his "Environmental" concerns?

Heck, I wish they would use millings around here, lol.. We hae so many roads around here that could/should be closed that it isn't even funny yet we spend thousands every year to maintain them while the roads that get real use get beat to crap because all we can afford is chip and seal 8 ton roads instead of the 20-40 ton roads we need for those roads. I would glady close or turn to gravel some of the roads on our property that are barely used if they would actually pave the main road right.

Well,they should ask hid maid if she thinks the road should be paved{this coming from a gal that has to dust twice a day due to the dust from the gravel roads. }:D

Milings makes a terrible road after about 4 years. The road gets potholes and then they can't or won't come back and fix it. Better off with a gravel road that has a good base and good gravel on it.

Wonder if Ted did a environmental study when he put gravel roads in across one of his Nebraska holdings? Not only did he gravel it but then wouldn't (or at least his manager wouldn't) let neighbors cross the cut across they had used for years.

I don't blame him one bit.

So if any of you EVER (ROTFLMAO!!!) visit me...be prepared to eat GA red clay dust!!!!

I wouldn't let the county here pave thru my place.

kolanuraven said:
I don't blame him one bit.

So if any of you EVER (ROTFLMAO!!!) visit me...be prepared to eat GA red clay dust!!!!

I wouldn't let the county here pave thru my place.

please send directions.

Cross the Mississippi , go to Mike's house and then head north east from there! :wink: :wink: :wink:

kolanuraven said:
Cross the Mississippi , go to Mike's house and then head north east from there! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Kola, I'd like to see jigs on HWY 400 during rush hour. :lol:

We'd be reading about another road rage incident! :shock:

That thought never crossed my mind till now.

Now, that would be interesting fer sure!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

No telling what these ' good ol' boys' would do to flat-landers that upset the natural flow of things!!!!! Besides, I doubt they could handle our roads up here...well maybe they could but they'd not get any faster than about 35 mph. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You can always tell who's not local by the way they drive around the curves. Local don't brake in the curve but accel. thru it.....out of towners brake before, during and after the curve!!! :mad: :mad:

When are they coming to you? I'll be sure and listen to the news ALL DAY that day!!!

Mike, we're getting reg. PM rains,good rains....are you?

kolanuraven said:
That thought never crossed my mind till now.

Now, that would be interesting fer sure!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

No telling what these ' good ol' boys' would do to flat-landers that upset the natural flow of things!!!!! Besides, I doubt they could handle our roads up here...well maybe they could but they'd not get any faster than about 35 mph. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You can always tell who's not local by the way they drive around the curves. Local don't brake in the curve but accel. thru it.....out of towners brake before, during and after the curve!!! :mad: :mad:

When are they coming to you? I'll be sure and listen to the news ALL DAY that day!!!

Mike, we're getting reg. PM rains,good rains....are you?

Not much rain the last two weeks. :cry: Getting real dry again.

Glad somebody's getting it tho! :wink:

I will be fine, all I gotta do it put a " I do my cousin" bumper sticker on the car, and I will fit right in!

might need an Ole Miss hat in the back window too

jigs said:
I will be fine, all I gotta do it put a " I do my cousin" bumper sticker on the car, and I will fit right in!

might need an Ole Miss hat in the back window too

Now right there is where you'll get yer arse whuppin....cause they'll be jealous cause she's their cousin too!!!!! :shock: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

There's just certain things you should know before venturing South of the Mason-Dixon and east of Mississippi...we're like a whole ' nuther country over here!!

Latest posts