• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Teco head catch

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Dykes5745

Reaction score
does anyone know if Teco has a website???
what i am looking for is one of the old time head catches that you push the bar down when the cow sticks her head through any info is appreciated

What do you want one of those things for? I'd go buy anything else than one of those. We have an old Teco on a trailer you can tip over and work on feet. It's handy, but the hardest thing to get cattle in that I have ever seen.

I grew up with one and it's still my favorite, even though we got a new chute last year. Each to his own :wink: But I don't know if they have a website or not.

Hey, i did a little research and found this website with the teco calf table. Hope this helps..
http://www.paulscales.com/wwpaultecocalfta.html

Having bred cows in well over 100 sets of corrals and the attached chutes, I can tell you that those old style Teco headstalls are some of the worst things to work cattle in around. I have reached the point that if I walk into a place for the first time and they have a Teco chute, I would rather give up the job than work in that type of situation.

Some people like them, the newer ones are not that bad, but I have never had a good experience around them. I have to trim my son's 4-H steers feet in one, and it is one of the most dreaded jobs around.

Hi, I'm also looking for information on the older Teco headcatchs. I need springs. I'm a rancher but also do repairs for my neighbors, run a a country welding shop. Trying to fix an old Teco chute for someone. Thing looks dangerous to me, but that's what he wants. If anyone knows where to get springs for one of these I'd like to know about it. I think my customer should consider putting a diferent headcatch on this thing. I have already modified the side panels so they can be taken off like a Powder River and braced the thing up. But it's old and rusty and needs new springs. Any help would be appreciated.

If you want a good chute that is easy and safe to use, go with hydraulic. Where I work has a hydraulic Stampede Steel Chute and it really save on the joints. It has pressure censors that will not allow the cattle to be over squeezed. The head gate, sides, and tail gate are all on levers and can be worked from either side. Stampede Steel also has a chute with scale.

I AM A FEW YEARS LATE ON THE ORIGINAL QUESTION. I HAVE A TECO PORTABLE CATTLE SQUEEZE AND DEHORNING GATE. MODEL # 60R. THE REMAINDER OF THE SYSTEM IS GONE. IT WAS SALVAGED OFF AN OLD RANCH SEVERAL YEARS AGO. I AM ABOUT TO START REFURBISHING IT. IT ONLY NEEDS ONE LITTLE WELD, HEAD BAR LATCH ASSEMBLY ADJUSTMENT, A PAINT JOB, AND THE WOOD REPLACED. NOT SURE WHY THEY HAD WOOD THERE. INFORMATION ON TECO IS HARD TO FIND. I AM WONDERING THE VALUE OF THE GATE OR IF IT SHOULD BE CONSIDERED A PIECE OF RANCHING HISTORY ANTIQUES. I AM IN NORTHERN CALIFORNIA. THEY WERE MANUFACTURED IN MADERA CALIFORNIA, ABOUT 200 MILES SOUTH OF ME.

RobMacD66 said:
I AM A FEW YEARS LATE ON THE ORIGINAL QUESTION. I HAVE A TECO PORTABLE CATTLE SQUEEZE AND DEHORNING GATE. MODEL # 60R. THE REMAINDER OF THE SYSTEM IS GONE. IT WAS SALVAGED OFF AN OLD RANCH SEVERAL YEARS AGO. I AM ABOUT TO START REFURBISHING IT. IT ONLY NEEDS ONE LITTLE WELD, HEAD BAR LATCH ASSEMBLY ADJUSTMENT, A PAINT JOB, AND THE WOOD REPLACED. NOT SURE WHY THEY HAD WOOD THERE. INFORMATION ON TECO IS HARD TO FIND. I AM WONDERING THE VALUE OF THE GATE OR IF IT SHOULD BE CONSIDERED A PIECE OF RANCHING HISTORY ANTIQUES. I AM IN NORTHERN CALIFORNIA. THEY WERE MANUFACTURED IN MADERA CALIFORNIA, ABOUT 200 MILES SOUTH OF ME.

May be a bit small for todays mature cows. If you were running just yearlings, i'd say find a different headgate to mount on it.

What most people miss because of the "Man Killer Headgate" is Teco's center drum squeeze was actually a really good one.

If my memory ain't completely gone, there is one in the junk pile at the sale barn in medicine lodge Ks.

cowman52 said:
If my memory ain't completely gone, there is one in the junk pile at the sale barn in medicine lodge Ks.

My guess is a hundred dollars will get it to be yours ;-}

Latest posts