• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Superior

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Thursday will be the day to watch. They are auctioning Oregon calves and pairs. It will be interesting to see what price the pairs bring and the age of the cows. I suspect a premium on the calves. Not sure where the Oregon lot is coming from, but I suspect unirrigated South Central and South Eastern Oregon where drought is still bad with no rain in sight.

I was reading that the forecasters predicted rains for August, but here it is and I don't see any at least in the next 10 days. Great for putting up hay on irrigated fields, but not looking good for fall pasture. Just guessing I would say our unirrigated fall pastures are about 1/3 of what they were last year.

In the July Northern Livestock video sale, friends got $2.92 @ 625.
320 steer calves, October delivery.
They opted out of the 'all natural 'program because the requirements got ridiculous.
And they did dance!! 😃🤠

What did you see on Superior, webfoot?
The only one I wrote down was 460 head of yearling steers with a Reno addres weighing 835 for $2.67. That is $2,229 a head and gross total of $1,025,547 which is getting close to real money. Teh other one I put down some notes about was a bunch lots out of Hereford TX. Total over 2,500 head of beef dairy cross steers and heifers. In the 5-600 pound range for $2.40-$2.60. For dairy cross!!!!!

Wow! That makes me wish I could wave a magic wand and bring back 40 of the half dairy and half beef calves I bought at a few days old, years ago. At 500 lbs by fall, bringing $2.50 a lb would make it worth milking a lot of goats daily. ;) I can't imagine $1250 a head but I would gladly accept. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wow! That makes me wish I could wave a magic wand and bring back 40 of the half dairy and half beef calves I bought at a few days old, years ago. At 500 lbs by fall, bringing $2.50 a lb would make it worth milking a lot of goats daily. ;) I can't imagine $1250 a head but I would gladly accept. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Back in March I was going to the sale in Caldwell Idaho looking for broken mouth bred cows. Every week they had a good size number of Charolais/Holstein cross steers. They weighed about 400 pounds and were selling for $1.80. I thought a person should be buying these. But I didn't have some place to put them. Dang I should have hauled everyone of them home. In May or June on a Thursday a semi full of these steers (110) was going to fast on on of the corners just past the cement plant. Laid the truck on its side. That killed 13 or 14 calves. The survivors were herded up to Bloomer's corral. Accident on Thursday. Caldwell sale is on Friday I bet I know where those calves were headed.

Back in March I was going to the sale in Caldwell Idaho looking for broken mouth bred cows. Every week they had a good size number of Charolais/Holstein cross steers. They weighed about 400 pounds and were selling for $1.80. I thought a person should be buying these. But I didn't have some place to put them. Dang I should have hauled everyone of them home. In May or June on a Thursday a semi full of these steers (110) was going to fast on on of the corners just past the cement plant. Laid the truck on its side. That killed 13 or 14 calves. The survivors were herded up to Bloomer's corral. Accident on Thursday. Caldwell sale is on Friday I bet I know where those calves were headed.
It would certainly be a lot less work to sell off all the BM cows and buy steers in the spring and sell in the fall. No need for hay so that hay field would make some nice pasture for several head and you could have the winters off. Maybe you could open a coffee and donut place in scenic downtown Durkee to stay busy in the winter. :D

Thursday will be the day to watch. They are auctioning Oregon calves and pairs. It will be interesting to see what price the pairs bring and the age of the cows. I suspect a premium on the calves. Not sure where the Oregon lot is coming from, but I suspect unirrigated South Central and South Eastern Oregon where drought is still bad with noT rain in sight.

I was reading that the forecasters predicted rains for August, but here it is and I don't see any at least in the next 10 days. Great for putting up hay on irrigated fields, but not looking good for fall pasture. Just guessing I would say our unirrigated fall pastures are about 1/3 of what they were last year.
This is the sale alot of local calves sell in for fall delivery.

I turned it on for a minute just now. Watched 7 lots sell all from Wells-Elko NV. 5 lots of steers ranging from 450 to 530 they sold from $3.72 to $3.58 with the 530 pounders bringing $3.32. Two lots of heifer sisters 425 selling for $3.50 and 470 sold for $3.25.
Neighbors calves sell tomorrow. Be interesting to see what they bring.

Latest posts