• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Squeeze Chute

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I believe that you answered your own question and did not realize it.

No I don't think so. A headgate and some sort of fence is a lot cheaper than a squeeze chute. There's some reason that ranchers are spending this extra cash.

I think you get a heck of a lot more control and options witha good squeeze or crunch.. branding windows, feet pannels, all of those good things (palp cage too for that matter) give you more options on getting to where you need to get. That and I just like how much more sturdy this option is.

We have one chute that is half way betwee the headgate and gate vs the whole squeeze... A calving chute, no squeze but it is all put togehter and works very well for pulling a calf if need be.. Cheaper than a squeeze chute too.

Well a squeeze chute has a head gate and the sqeezing ability! If you have a jumpy cow you can "squeeze" em and they wont beable to move as much! I find them to be alot safer than just head gate, expecily if the head gate isnt installed properly and the cow runs off with it :p It was like an 1980 home made think outta light pipes and the cow just took off with it, kinda funny!

Katy

FarmerDave said:
No I don't think so. A headgate and some sort of fence is a lot cheaper than a squeeze chute. There's some reason that ranchers are spending this extra cash.

I'm just shakeing my head :roll: :help:

I'm just shakeing my head
My current top choice is the www.for-most.com 450. Now two side exits could be handy for sorting.

But it's got six branding gates. I don't brand.

Both Hank Kimball and my vet say I don't need a squeeze chute. My vet says - they've got all kinda things you can spend your money on. He says I should just set some four inch pipe and hang oak 2x6s off them and a new head gate.

One time I had a cow with a stick caught in her front foot. We dug that out through the home made gate dad had next to the head gate. So a need to work the hoof happens how often?

Now I have not priced pipe but I'm thinking the difference in price between a headgate mounted on 4 inch pipe and a squeeze chute is about $1750.

$1750 worth of 0-40-40 and some lime might get me from low to medium on the soil test.

I got a book around here that says I should do AI in a separate corral. It claims that where one does AI, there should be no pain. It claims I need a box that blinds the cow from seeing you work on her.

:???:

Denny said:
FarmerDave said:

I'm just shakeing my head :roll: :help:

The reason we spend the money for chutes/squeeze chutes is that they end up being less than hospital bills!!!![/b]

Ours is an oldre WW that we took the head gate off and replaced it with a preifert. We were shoppin around lookin at a new chute here while back, and I flat out said "No" I like my old WW that has all the drop bars, and especially the OB Gate/cage in the back, it has a solid metal half door on the bottom that prevents any kicking or the cows backin up into me. When I palpate I don't like their heads caught. Seems to keep them calmer. So pull the sides and squeeze em just enuff to keep em still, works so much better'n havin one with her head caught..bellerin....floppin around.
yeap it means it takes a lil more time, to open and shut the OB gates.....but that's ok...I like to work cows slow rather than fast.

Formost 450 is a nice little chute that will work well for most applications. The branding windows or whatever you want to call them can be used for other things too besides branding... You can often find them at auctions and get them for cheap. The only problem we have ever had with the 450 is a one ton bull. No problems with the manual headgate but when it had an auto on it the neighbors had to remove the whole assembly to get the fella out.

How many cows are you working at a time? Heck, most of our large animal vets have chutes out here that you can rent for a day or just use them to do the more intensive jobs...

LOL Yeap Mike...both chutes we've had have that side gate exit....and I wouldnt have one that didn't have it. When one goes down in the chute.......a horn hung somewhere, a foot hung somewhere....etc.....that side gate is a life saver.

Ya just never know how a cow can move till you get her in a chute. LOL Like a contortionist.(sp)

We had one go up an over onto her back once... That was in the Stronghold chute and it has a side exit.. I need to get the head gate fixed on that one so we can use it again.. It is probably 50% larger too than the formost... Don't think I would buy another one though, their tailgate stinks.

IL Rancher said:
We had one go up an over onto her back once... That was in the Stronghold chute and it has a side exit.. I need to get the head gate fixed on that one so we can use it again.. It is probably 50% larger too than the formost... Don't think I would buy another one though, their tailgate stinks.

No matter what brand of squeeze chute is used, after a few cattle go through, the tailgate "stinks." It is all that recycled grass deposited strategically. :wink: :)

The FIRST thing you do when starting an A'I' job is tie the reargate up so that it won't fall. Nothing like getting one of those across the back of the neck A'I'ing a cow to teach you that 'LATCHES DO FAIL' lol.

Our chute has a palp cage on it so that gate isn't going to hit you on the neck unless you have a weiner dog shapped cow. But when we AI we tended to tie it up and use the gates on the palp cage as our back gate.. They swong across and gave a more secure rear area protection.

Latest posts