• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Solve This 4th Grade Math Question

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
This is in my 4th graders math workbook. "Common Core" of course.

Help! Please.......................

There seems to be somethings missing. How many friends does she have and how many stickers are in each bag?

Of course the answer may be that the production of stickers and the bags they are sold in are in part responsible for global warming... and therefore she decided to save the planet and buy no stickers at all.

My son had an ag teacher one time who presented a similar problem, without nearly enough information to solve the answer. I got on the warpath and called him up that evening, telling him, "According to your hypothetical ranch problem, the ranch would run somewhere around 30,000 head of cattle. The Mormans have about that many cattle on one of their ranches, but they would surely hire someone smarter than you or me to run that outfit." He got the point and withdrew the problem. :wink:

The math book that contains this question is a nationally distributed and published book by Houghton Mifflin. Chances are, if you have a 4th grader the question is in their book too.

That is, if your state has accepted Common Core as a curriculum.

Home school her or send her to private school so she will have enough math skills to be successful.

pups and bucks said:

I was going to make it easy and say 24 but you had to complicate things.

It doesn't say all of her friends, I guess just some are chosen.

This is one of those Politically Correct questions that make it possible to pick up a turd by the clean end. :wink:

What if one was to answer it like this...

N times Y

with...

N being the number of friends she wants to give bags to

and...

Y being the number of bags she wants to give each friend

I do know that I've shut my eyes on the couch for a wink and have woke up covered head to toe in stickers.... :D

R A said:

N times Y

with...

and...

I do know that I've shut my eyes on the couch for a wink and have woke up covered head to toe in stickers.... :D

You must have gotten bucked off in a sandbur patch, and are just now regaining consciousness. :)

Soapweed said:
"Selling 13 Angus & 6 coming 2 year old Bulls"

This was in a bull sale ad recently. It's a bit unclear what is actually for sale. :wink:

Some neighbors we had at Dog Creek and are now nearer Big Muddy and SSAP bought the ranch at Dog Creek from a dyed in the wool Hereford man.

They started crossbreeding with Black Angus bulls as the old bulls needed replacing.

The former owner went into the livestock hauling business and was at their place to haul a load of mostly Hereford yearlings a couple of years later. They loaded the steers and the old rancher / now trucker said "29 steers and a black one!"

He never did get over his phobia for black cattle.

Soapweed said:
R A said:

N times Y

with...

and...

You must have gotten bucked off in a sandbur patch, and are just now regaining consciousness. :)

:lol: :lol: Aaahh, which way did he go, which way did he go... :D

I had never heard of common core before. I went and read their mission statement and goals. One thing I think was mentioned was focusing more on how to find answers and the actual answers will come easier as they progress.

I've been dealing with that kind of thing big time building my place and all I'm getting into. I have found where to find the answers to the problems I face and things have come so much easier. There's lots of carry over, too, from the questions I have now to other different questions down the road, making each answer easier and easier to know...like what they want to accomplish.

I don't have any idea....just thought I'd join in. I'm starting to develop ideas and theories about things and have kept quiet about them, but now seem to want to let it out to get set straight, re-evaluate, so I can further learn more and be better.

Yeah, I have been spending too much time pondering life and watching cows eat.... :D :D

which way did he go, which way did he go.... :D

According to this explanation, it doesn't matter if the answer is correct or not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW0VxxoCrNo

Latest posts