• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Should we give this place a funeral?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Ranchers was started by Jody Brown out of Faith South Dakota if I remember correctly.
Kind of went on in a never ending configuration, sometimes hard to follow conversation but it was a lively place. Think it was Macon that changed it over to closer to what we have today with changes along the way.

IMG_9052.jpeg

I drifted over to Ranchers from CattleToday. The level of respect the members here have for each other is admirable.
Yes, pictures are always welcome and fun. One of the members here helped me realize how important minerals can be/are.
Me and Itty Bitty will always be grateful for the knowledge that individual was willing to take time to share.

Some of us may have to push ourselves a little harder, and respond with more than a "blue thumb" :)

I don't think Ranchers should be headed for a burial.

I drifted over to Ranchers from CattleToday. The level of respect the members here have for each other is admirable.
Yes, pictures are always welcome and fun. One of the members here helped me realize how important minerals can be/are.
Me and Itty Bitty will always be grateful for the knowledge that individual was willing to take time to share.

Some of us may have to push ourselves a little harder, and respond with more than a "blue thumb" :)

You are so right! Everyone here is so helpful, kind and considerate. Even when they disagree!

Lets see a current picture of Itty Bitty when you have time!

Itty Bitty doesn't have a calf on her yet this year, due September/October. Not her fault she is late, the two year old Murray Grey
bull was a bit big to put with her. So she had to wait for me to locate a yearling angus.

image1 (4).jpegIMG_5044.JPG

No shortage of grass. I wanted to give it a bit of a head start, but when it took off, they could not eat it fast enough.
Trying to rotate them through it, then maybe mow some of it behind them.

IMG_5049.JPG

They were eating a lot of mineral, especially the new Angus bull. Have slowed up a little in the last week or so.

Itty Bitty doesn't have a calf on her yet this year, due September/October. Not her fault she is late, the two year old Murray Grey
bull was a bit big to put with her. So she had to wait for me to locate a yearling angus.

View attachment 3042View attachment 3043

No shortage of grass. I wanted to give it a bit of a head start, but when it took off, they could not eat it fast enough.
Trying to rotate them through it, then maybe mow some of it behind them.

View attachment 3044

They were eating a lot of mineral, especially the new Angus bull. Have slowed up a little in the last week or so.
She doesn't look like the same Itty Bitty! Good for you! If the grass is lush and green in the spring, it is full of moisture. Cattle have dry matter requirements and if their requirements aren't met, they will over consume mineral to satisfy their dry matter requirements. Your grass looks lush, for sure. If they don't slow down on the mineral, put an old bale of junk hay, straw, anything like that. They won't eat it like they do when being fed in winter, but they will eat it eventually. Anyhow, you've treated her well!

She doesn't look like the same Itty Bitty! Good for you! If the grass is lush and green in the spring, it is full of moisture. Cattle have dry matter requirements and if their requirements aren't met, they will over consume mineral to satisfy their dry matter requirements. Your grass looks lush, for sure. If they don't slow down on the mineral, put an old bale of junk hay, straw, anything like that. They won't eat it like they do when being fed in winter, but they will eat it eventually. Anyhow, you've treated her well!
I tried feeding them hay as long as possible because of what the lush grass was doing to them. I did not realize they might over consume minerals due to the condition of the grass. There is a period of time here when the moisture content is very high.
Thank you, me and the cows appreciate that info :)

Last edited:
It's another community we own/run. hopefully giving the community another opportunity at growing.

What is Steer Planet? I have never heard of it.
Heck I see they have a goat and sheep forum, Maybe Leanin' H will become a regular again.

From what I saw of it I don't think many of us old Ramchers.net people will move when it merges.
End of an era.
I have made so many great acquaintances here, remember our Deadwood Net-together fondly.

Here FH you can check it out,

If we merge, all data and account info will also work there.

Heck I see they have a goat and sheep forum, Maybe Leanin' H will become a regular again.

From what I saw of it I don't think many of us old Ramchers.net people will move when it merges.
End of an era.
I have made so many great acquaintances here, remember our Deadwood Net-together fondly.

Here FH you can check it out,
UGH! Yep not much there of interest to me. This is sad, when we (you and I) kept this forum going. I guess nothing is forever, but I hate to think of not visiting with the members here, even the few who are still here. We have had so many conversations in the past...hard to think about a change. 🥹

Steer planet used to be geared toward show cattle, both people who produced them as well as young people raising them, The shorthorn mafia hung out there as well, (it is amazing how people breeding the same breed of cattle could fight so much). Now, like this site, use is down, some of the original people have passed or moved on, others show up now and then, Lately it is more kids looking for help with their animals, asking feeding questions or breeding questions. There use to be great discussions on some of the birth defects popping up like TH and PHA, but those days are gone.

With the old ranchers.net format, there was a heading at the top of ranchers.net that read:

Ranchers.net...for the serious cattle producer

Or something similar. Does anyone else remember that?

That's the way it's always been around here as long as I remember. Members who mostly made their living in the cattle business. Yeah, activity has dwindled, as it has at a lot of forums, but that is still mostly what I see here at ranchers - serious cattle producers.

When Macon bought ranchers.net, I remember everyone being worried that he would merge it with CattleToday, or turn it into another CattleToday. Thankfully, Macon had the foresight and understanding to recognize that there were two distinct groups of cattle people at each site, and they wouldn't fit well together. He was correct in that, and if he were here now reading about this potential merge with steerplanet, he would be shaking his head with the rest of us.

I think I've been around here long enough to speak for most everybody when I say that the idea that this ranchers.net group would ever mesh with the steer jocks and show kids at steerplanet is absurd. We have almost nothing in common, other than we like to see kids take an interest in cattle. However, showing cattle has almost nothing to do with ranching and vice versa.

The site owners can do what they wish, and I'm sure we all support their right to do so. But, go forward with that idea and you may as well have that funeral for ranchers.net.

Latest posts