• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

PSA Hearing Today

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
I listened to the hearing today on Capitol Hill. The topic highlight was that Gipsa has been promising a fundamental change in the way it does PSA investigations since 1997. A report is to be made to Congress each year on the activities described as anti-competitive. It's been several years since they received one.

Jo Ann Waterfield and Bill Hawks were big subjects too.

Short sweet and to the point.

The Special Counsel will be appointed. You can be sure of that.

I expect a criminal investigation of Jo Ann. It was mentioned.

Mike said:
I listened to the hearing today on Capitol Hill. The topic highlight was that Gipsa has been promising a fundamental change in the way it does PSA investigations since 1997. A report is to be made to Congress each year on the activities described as anti-competitive. It's been several years since they received one.

I hope so, Mike but I doubt if anything will come of it. Corporations are in control of our country to a large degree this day and time.
Remember when the oil company exec.s were asked by a Congressional delegation if they were present when the current administration's energy policies were formulated? Their answer was no. Later on it was revealed that they were present with the VP. during the policy-making process. Lying to Congressional committees, even when not under oath, is still a felony I believe. But what happened? Nothing that I can remember.

There is no balance of power in Congress and with executive branch now.

The republican controlled senate judiciary committee just shelved the NAS spying investigation.

Lying to Congressional committees, even when not under oath, is still a felony I believe.

Do you know how to tell when a corporate exec or a politician is lying?

Their lips are moving. :wink:

I hope so, Mike but I doubt if anything will come of it. Corporations are in control of our country to a large degree this day and time.

Maybe not. But here are a few of the words today from my notes.

"Purposefully circumventing" - investigations

""Substantial weaknesses" - in investigations

"Systematically dysfunctional" -Gipsa

"Huge disconnect" -between Ag. Sec. office and Gipsa

"Incomplete and inadequate" - investigations

"Tremendous mismanagement"

"The need for more oversight as concentration deepens and gets more creative in it's practices."

Mike said:

Where did you pick up the broadcast?

Sandhusker said:
Mike said:

Where did you pick up the broadcast?

C-Span website. I went to it to see if it was on TV. C-Span has an audio broadcast deal too. It dropped out on me a few times when Phyllis was talking but other than that it was OK.

I'm gonna go back and check it to see if can be re-played and put it on a CD. Should have done it this morning but was late doing chores.

:roll:

The audio is now available at
http://agriculture.senate.gov/

I'm working my way through this stuff. I'm a little over half way through it. The disgust with GIPSA is bipartisan. This obviously will not go away by itself. James Link is on the hot seat. Chambliss called him the new sherriff. He gets a pass for now, but better produce the changes needed.

I'm still wondering about NCBA's silence. It is deafening.

Expect a criminal investigation of Jo Ann. It was mentioned.

SOONER THE BETTER,Notice the silence before the STORM,

OGC. MRS. FONG At the time of our review, the panel was comprised of the Deputy Administrator and the Division Directors for Policy and Litigation, Industry Analysis, and Regional Operations. We found that during the period of our audit, the functioning of the SMRP inhibited the agency's ability to investigate anti-competitive activities and unfair trade practices in the livestock and poultry markets. SMRP did not establish an effective means of review.

Latest posts