• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pictures of trailing cows home

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Nicky

Reaction score
It was a busy week last week. Monday we gathered everything into one pasture. Tues brought them home, Wed sorted, vaccinated and wormed the steer calves. Thurs vacc, and wormed the heifer calves, and did the (maybe) finale cut (literally) on the bull calves. Friday took the hiefer calves and moms back to where they came from (Unfortunatly the guy we lease from tore down the corrals there and hasn't rebuilt yet). And sat took the steers and moms to a BLM permit on the Powder River. So here are pictures of the first two days.
First day:
Everyones gathered
Startingout.jpg

See them up the hill?
Comeondown.jpg

They didn't come down, so there goes Mike to get them!
Therehegoes.jpg

Now they're going
Upthehill.jpg

I'll do the next day in another post so things load faster!

Looks like you guys still have some nice blue skies out there. Here in west Oregon it's been rainy. Are you out by The Dalles, or more towards Pendelton or Umatilla? It's weird how the land and climate totally change as you go west.

I think another front is coming. It is shaping up as a wet fall, be the dryland guys are loving it,

Pat

Boy I hope so! We got 4/10's of an inch on tuesday, things are starting to green up. Another rain would do it.

I enjoy your pictures. It looks a little like places around this country, with steeper hills. It's odd to get used to hearing about another Powder River than the one in ranchers country.

I was going to ask you if you have to feed hay in the winter, or can you run on range and protein block? Do you have a winter permit?

Nice pictures Nicky, almost forgot what it is like gathering cows in the sage where you can actually see what is coming and what is going, in these hills the going up and down is not as hard but half the time in the pines you can't even see who you're with :!:

Sure looks nice. I am moving to Okinawa in december. Wonder if I will see anything quit like that. Great photos. Thanks.

We usually stay out til mid to late Dec depending on the snow. One year it snowed mid oct and didn't leave til spring. Most years (we've only lived here 10 years) though we make it til sometime in dec. We only have two small permits. One is in May for 78 hd for a month, two years on one year off. And the one we just put the steers on is for 100 hd for a month. It would run 3 - 4 times that many if they'd let us :???:

Latest posts