• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Lice control

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Not sure what we use for lice, but believe they aren't much problem here.

Magpies are few, but we do see up to a half dozen in the higher areas. I hope they aren't killing too many song birds (by eating eggs and small birds).There was a bounty on them in early 1940's in this area, so suppose they were thinned to tolerable levels back then.

mrj

We're going to try Standguard, it says 'season long' and is a different chemical than we've used before. Figured it can't hurt to change things up. We hear great things about CleanUp but the weather doesn't want to cooperate. We'll try the leftovers from last year on the bulls or something when we get a warmer day. Did a fecal sample and they only found one egg, so aren't worried about worms right now.
http//www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=B94396E8-92D4-439F-9496-700F97081EE2

Valbazen gets tapeworms, but there is a window of time to use it. Safeguard does also, at 1.5x normal dose (if I recall correctly).
I saw a picture of a tapeworm that was 18' long. No kidding. Yet we are told that tapeworms do no economic harm. We had them every time we ran a fecal so we finally treated them with Safeguard. It was pretty evident the better condition of the cows afterward; and didn't take long to see the difference.

I use the same lambda-cy I spray my cotton with.
It ai in ultra saber is the same thing.
I put a 25 gallon atv sprayer on the feed truck and spray out of the window or put someone on the back.
Also use it on back rubs.
Sorry though, it's not a once a year shot.
Oh, only cost about 35 dollars a gallon and only use a few ounces to 25 gallon of water. Real cheap.
Think 8 oz. maybe a little more.

The single treatment of Cleanup has gotten us through. The cows have been a little itchy but nothing like last year when we had to repour everything in February as they they were trying to rub the barbs off the fenclines.

Glad it worked for you. We tried it again on our bulls in Dec, two weeks after using generic ivomec, and they were missing hair in Feb. The cows we used Standgard on were itching in Jan. Didn't seem as bad as last year but not good.

I used a generic Ivomec last fall on all animals and everything still looks pretty good. I did bulls and replacement Hfrs yesterday and today with Saber. I noticed Hfrs starting to rub a bit. Will do the one bunch of cows when we bring in to start calving in a month and the other bunch probably won't get poured until branding.

Latest posts