• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Horse prices šŸ˜³

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
Me and the kids went to a bull/horse sale yesterday in Nephi Utah. It was the first sale for this bunch of producers who had sold via private treaty. Bulls were from five seed stock outfits and were Angus, Simmental and Angus/Sim cross. The highest bull in the sale went for $6000 and many sold under $3000. 60 head sold. My cousin picked up a nice heifer bull for $5000.

The shocker was the horse market. 28 head were advertised in the catalog. Over half failed to reach a reserve price including one that got to $30000 in bids but they wanted a minimum of $45000. šŸ˜³šŸ˜³šŸ˜³ The cheapest horse was an 18 year old gelding that sold for $8200. Every other horse that changed owners went over $10000!!! Crazy horse people!!! I'll bet a lot of money not one of those horses went to ranches. What are Horse prices like where y'all are at?

I saw a 10 year old gelding who was a decent looking horse. Ran in loose and they said he was broke to ride. A pig in a poke deal. It sold for $1,800.
A local guy I know bought a gelding last summer. I think a 5 or 6 year old papered horse. Rode it in a feedlot some. Took it to Red Bluff and sold it for $15,000.

Here's the top selling horses at Billings Livestock Commission. Scroll down and it will show the top sellers for Nov. Dec and Jan. I heard the Feb. sale which just finished, was HOT.

Was kind of pricing them a while ago for daughter because my stuff is getting old.
Extremely hard to find what I was looking for on internet. Some stuff that looked promising was crazy priced,like $10000 and up.
I'm thinking internet not best place to look?

I'm afaid the internet has set the prices. People look there to see how to price their horses and price accordingly. Gentle sells really well and it goes from there. The Gypsy Vanner horses, those that have some draft bloodlines, are sky high. Perhaps because they are considered to be more gentle. Around here everyone has a horse or 2, or 5. I love horses, but I don't care for horse gettoes.

Old rancher told me many years ago when our daughter was in youth rodeo, "the cheapest thing you can do is get your kid a good horse." That was 1969 and he was right. Horses sure are good for kids. Can keep them out of trouble, most of the time.

If you can buy a horse that was born and raised in hills,crossing creeks,used to wildlife,mud,ice,etc that really helps..

If you can buy a horse that was born and raised in hills,crossing creeks,used to wildlife,mud,ice,etc that really helps..
Those are hard to find, because if they are good, they aren't for sale. Takes a lot of looking. We used to find horses for people and had a blast doing so. But then the horses weren't the problem, but the people were. Horses/animals have a heartbeat and a brain and so many don't realize that. They want to use them like a piece of machinery. Park them til they need them. That usually doesn't turn out real well.

Sometimes cow/calf outfits that dream of team roping glory will sell decent horses that can be made into a useful ranch horse but never would have been top head or heal horse

Sometimes cow/calf outfits that dream of team roping glory will sell decent horses that can be made into a useful ranch horse but never would have been top head or heal horse
Yes, but the demand out paces the supply. I hope you can find a nice horse for your daughter at a reasonable price. It might take awhile and I wish you good luck!

Closest neighbor has about 5 or 6 mares. He had a nice little side business going selling horses until his stud died. He would send the horses down the treasure valley Black (can't remember his first name) and his students put 60 days on them. Then he would ride them. Some in the hills and some out in the pastures. Take them to a few brandings. Then sell them for big bucks. I have about 60 acres across the road which is more rock than grass. He would put his yearlings up there for a month or two in the spring. Teach them how to get around in the rocks before someone was doing it on their back.
I think there was two or three older horses with them in this picture.
P2211418.JPG

I never could afford broke horses. My late wife would go to the Billings horse sales and watch for good, sound looking colts, often bringing them home for $150. The canner buyers were good about setting back and letting a lady give a young horse a chance for a good home! Most of the colts that had some Arabian or Quarter Horse influence panned out pretty well as ranch horses. My wife and I and a couple of our sons, never rode a horse we hadn't started our self. When I was young, I had a notion to train horses for a living. After falling in love with the first one that I had to return to it's owner who would never ride or appreciate it, I gave up on that idea! I'm too old and stove up for horses anymore and just ride the side by side or feed truck, but the kids and grand kids still ride ranch broke horses.

Nobody want to start their own colts.
We are behind on our horse herd,
I used to start colts for years and years.
Problem now is,if I get hurt I'm on my own. I'm not scared physically. Just have to be able to look after things myself. Haha pretty screwed if I wait or expect any help so I can't get hurt

Liked the picture, Dave and liked the concept. Let them learn to travel on their own. Friend, old cowboy in SW Montana, now deceased, had a colt he really liked. He kept him in a pen and saw him every day. Came time for him to be trained/broke/ridden so he sent him to a couple of able horse people who lived where there were lots of hills. They turned him out for two weeks to learn how to go up and down those hills. They said they were taking their life in their hands riding him in the hills. He had no idea how to travel that terrain.

Another little story. We bought a young horse that turned out to be afraid of cows. So we turned him in with a bunch of heifers and he learned to not be afraid of them. That worked well and he turned out to be a great cow horse. He learned it on his own and in his own time.

Liked the picture, Dave and liked the concept. Let them learn to travel on their own. Friend, old cowboy in SW Montana, now deceased, had a colt he really liked. He kept him in a pen and saw him every day. Came time for him to be trained/broke/ridden so he sent him to a couple of able horse people who lived where there were lots of hills. They turned him out for two weeks to learn how to go up and down those hills. They said they were taking their life in their hands riding him in the hills. He had no idea how to travel that terrain.

Another little story. We bought a young horse that turned out to be afraid of cows. So we turned him in with a bunch of heifers and he learned to not be afraid of them. That worked well and he turned out to be a great cow horse. He learned it on his own and in his own time.
If you pony them. Ride one okay horse and lead as many colts as you can handle behind you on string. Make big circle hills,creeks and lots of miles so they are good and tired and relaxed toward end of trip.
They are more calm in group. Do this everyday before you ride them.
If they are all lathered up and scared you can ride them everyday for years and they dont learn much.
When you make your first actual in the saddle rides across country if you can follow someone on a calm older horse it makes it so much easier

Our good friend who is a topnotch horseman says, "you only get to make a first impression once."
That first introduction, you to horse, is really important.

Some of the things we have seen him accomplish with horses is like watching him pour magic.
I don't know anyone who loves horses as much as he does. I mean TRULY love them. To them they are always a partner, never a slave.

He uses his horses in everything he does. I couldn't tell you the miles he has put in with a
pair of reins in his hand. His dad was a good horseman, but he is better. The horses respect him and he respects them. It's mutual. If there is a spooking problem he will say, "is he looking with both eyes?"
That was a valuable lesson in itself. We didn't know horses can look 'with one eye' and when they catch something out of the eye they aren't using, they can spook. So he teaches colts to look with both eyes when he is doing ground work. He demonstrated that on a horse we had that was spooky and as a result the horse got much better.

Well, I could go on and on, but I'll leave that right here.
Neat that 'H and Evans and BMR have the desire to work with colts. šŸ‘

Maybe more desire then ability.
I like taking the freshly weaned calves out of the corral to graze for the day, once they are trained it great work for a colt. I used to pony this broncy colt to the far side of the flat and then switch horses and ride the colt home. I kept my saddle horse snubbed up close to the colt.

Latest posts