• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Grasshoppers, anyone????

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hanta Yo

Reaction score
I took some time to take some pics, next three pics are of hoppers in the grass

hoppers.jpg

hoppers1.jpg

HoppersIntheYard.jpg

They ate the lilac bushes :x

lilacseaten.jpg

They ate the honeysuckle bushes

honeysucklebusheseaten.jpg

I got mad at them...they were on the honeysuckle bushes yesterday, leaves almost gone and you couldn't find a single branch because they were covered with the #*&@#$^& and I didn't have the camera on hand so I sprayed them :twisted: As I sprayed them they were falling off the branches. This area covers about 6 square inches of the dead things :evil:

Isprayedthem.jpg

Here they ate another tree :evil: :mad:

Atethetree.jpg

About 10 years ago we had the same problem....I had to water the bushes hard so they wouldn't die. Believe it or not, the lilacs bloomed in September :)

Dang things. :mad:
Need to have some chickens and turkeys Hanto, mine love the hoppers. Nothing funnier then watching turkeys and fat hens chase them around the yard.

That probably wasn't a good idea to spray them in the lawn. Others will come in and eat them and die and then the stink begins.

ranch hand said:
That probably wasn't a good idea to spray them in the lawn. Others will come in and eat them and die and then the stink begins.

That's where all the hoppers are now, in the yard (besides my garden) I don't use anything radical so I won't have that problem. 10 years ago we got Furadan (now off the market). It killed the hoppers plus the birds that ate those hoppers. Only saw a dead bird or two in the yard and felt bad for them. I guess that's why it's off the market but it was effective the hoppers seemed to stay outside of the perimeter we sprayed.

I Luv Herfrds said:
Dang things. :mad:
Need to have some chickens and turkeys Hanto, mine love the hoppers. Nothing funnier then watching turkeys and fat hens chase them around the yard.

Yup, it's fun watching the blackbirds jump up and catch them. For this nmber of hoppers I'd have to have a LOT of turkeys and chickens! For every hopper that gets eaten or dies, 20 takes its place :shock: They seem to have moved in here by droves since the flooding last Friday night.

Latest posts