• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Gas Pickups vs Diesel

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses said:
We don't have to take the cab off our Dodge to work
on it. You do Ford, and I don't know about Chevy. There's a lot of stuff under the hood of the Ford. Open the hood and you can't see through to the ground. Chevy is about the same way.

Too bad most of the work on a Dodge is done from underneath :p
Passenger side tie-rod ends falling off, constant front end work, and of course the now infamous "Dodge Death Wobble".
I'm ashamed to say I got suckered in to the Dodge enthusiast camp for my "day job" truck. It's actually pretty nice to drive on a nice smooth highway but I don't see much of that in my line of work. I do love the engine brake though. But I won't be too sorry to see this truck go. Fuel mileage is poor, ride is bad, doors squeak on rough roads. Unfortunately they say my '02 Ford is too old to use for work, because it is a far nicer vehicle to drive; better power, better mileage, better ride.
But I guess before I get too hard on the Fargo I'll put another 100,000 km's on it then I'll know for sure. Should have that easy enough by spring.

Isn't that odd? Ours goes mostly down dirt roads and it's tight
as can be as were the Dodges before this one. Only work we have
done on them was only one and that was the front end. I'll have to ask
Mr. FH what was done to it. BTW, he hates a pickup with squeaks.
Maybe we've just been lucky, but most of the oil field pickups are
Dodges. And they get really used hard.

The dodge pickups just seems tiny to me and ride like a tank but the cummins engine is the best one out there in my mind. I sat down and (well my better half did :roll: ) penciled out the cost of gas vs diesel and the fuel milage that you would get in both vehicles. And aroung here right now gas is 50cents cheaper that diesel and you cant pay that extra money for a diesel and get your money out of it even with alittle better fuel milage.

tenbach79 said:
And aroung here right now gas is 50cents cheaper that diesel and you cant pay that extra money for a diesel and get your money out of it even with alittle better fuel milage.

Your quite right about that. Funny though, here diesel is about 5 cents / litre cheaper than gas. One thing to pencil in though is resale value on the diesel and it helps balance the equation a bit.

I will admit that the dodges don't have the cabs/interior that the fords (would take a King Ranch interior anyday!) do and the ride that the chevys do, but cummins has the power (Ours is about 500hp/1000+ torque, hasn't been dynoed for sure yet). We also have a 93 12V cummins and it is still going strong. Most people don't have the death wobble with the dodge unless you lift it or put big tires under it and if you are going to do this you better put in a steering stablizer. As far as fuel mileage goes...we are getting 18 to 20mpg, but still averaging the numbers because we put in a new lift pump to support the big injectors. (note neither the injectors or fuel pump was bad...was bought with bigger injectors and wanted the fuel pump to support them so they wouldn't go bad) Maintainence is the key!! Let me also remind the ford and chevy guys that dodge is the only vehicle that will not have a urea tank on the diesels (2500 &3500) until at least 2012, unless it is a cab and chassis. Also we don't have the door squeak, but my folk's chevy does :wink: If you own a diesel you have to be nice to them if you want them to last...and probably should be the case for all of them. As far as my other 2 cents goes....My dad always said "They're all nice when they are new!!"

Latest posts