• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Bovine bibliography

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
Sorry I been absent for a bit. Life gets fast now and then. Went and checked some cows a night or two ago and snapped some pictures. Thought I'd share
71229198306__65093564-5805-44F4-8C5B-EC9AEAEE93E6.jpeg

Had some amazing sunsets lately

IMG_2704.jpeg

Calves are mashers this year thanks to an amazing winter and wet spring/summer. Grass surely does make raising cattle easier than not having any.

IMG_2701.jpeg

Heifer calf I can't hardly find a hole in!!!!! I'm probably dumb but I'll be keeping all my heifer's this fall.

IMG_2706.jpeg

More juvenile bovine critters

IMG_2705.jpeg

Bull has stayed in fine flesh for the summer. Excited to see his calves next year.

IMG_2698.jpeg

Stockshow prep is about done. Head for the fair tomorrow with Dalton's pigs.

71260183019__5C63D6ED-4316-469C-BF3E-65F657160028.jpeg

Whittled off parts of two fingers and a thumb today at work. Glass in a door shattered as I tried to open it. Long way from my heart and I'll heal. Have a fine evening friends!!!

As good as those heifers look and as much as you might like them this is not the time to keep heifers.
A heifer kept during the high price part of the cattle cycle. Usually 10-11 years, will never be as profitable as one kept in the low price part of the cycle.
Example, a 600lb calf kept this fall will be bred next year and calve the next year. So her first calf, which is usually not the best one she will have, would sell the fall of 2025. The best part of her production will be at least 5 years from now during the low part of the price cycle.
A calf kept during the low price part of the cycle will be the most profitable during the high price part.
Sell heifers now and next year and get the profit you have been working for.
Keep heifers when they are cheap.

Webfoot, I know your advice is sound. This is where a person's heart comes into play. 'H
has worked for years to get what he wants in his herd. They are acclimated to his conditions.
I never fail to be amazed at the body condition of his cows/calves. Since he doesn't depend on
his cows for income, I understand why he wants to keep his heifers.
But again, your advice was sound.

Latest posts