• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

More Bovine Tuberculosis

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Traveler

Reaction score
http://www.tsln.com/news/tripp-county-herd-under-quarantine-for-tb/

The strain of TB in the original infected cow has common ancestry with a Mexican strain, said Oedekoven, and it is not the same strain as the Harding County herd had.

I wonder how this is being transmitted?
When Tammy immigrated to Canada 38 years ago she needed Lung X rays and a TB test. I'm pretty sure the illegals and refugees coming from all over the world aren't getting the scrutiny she got many yeras ago.
She was only moving 4 miles north.

Last SD t.b. Outbreak , one of my neighbors ended up with a hot cow down here. Lots of young rebred, counterfeit cows end up down here. Probably everywhere. It's a small world in the cattle business.

If that outbreak would have happened in mn the whole state would have been shunned just like the last time by every state that borders us but once in those states its no big deal hypocrits.

I don't KNOW how it goes with cattle, but human testing can result in false positives, so, LOGIC tells me it can happen with other 'critters'. Of course, authorities must be diligent in tracking down even the most remote possibility of a real problem.

Our local school used to use volunteer labor to help prepare and serve a hot dinner at school....the 'labor pool' was the mothers of the students, of course. I was one of them at some point between 1966 and 1983, the years we had kids attending Midland School. We were required to have TB tests, annually I believe. One year I tested positive. No other indication was found that I was a carrier. I did share with the medical people involved that when I was about six years old, I had an elderly grand-uncle who had been treated for TB. He apparently was 'cleared' by the powers that be at Sanator, SD (a special medical facility for folks with TB) to live at home with no restrictions. Because he and his wife were my favorite people, I was allowed to spend quite a bit of time with them during his last years. Some of the medical folks agreed with me that I could have somehow acquired antibodies which caused me to test positive for TB, tho I did not actually have it. I did continue working at school and no one else ever tested positive. I do think it somewhat strange that I was simply told to not have the test anymore!

Anyway, I do wish the best to those ranchers who are having to deal with all the extra work and the usual costs involved, to get their herds cleared as being safe for commerce. Most likely there was absolutely no fault of theirs, yet however small the effort needed, there will be costs to them that are not re-imbursed.

mrj

My daughter worked at the hospital and the "Scratch test" reacted on her,I think the did blood test to clear her but didn't take the Scratch test again.

Big Muddy rancher said:
I wonder how this is being transmitted?
When Tammy immigrated to Canada 38 years ago she needed Lung X rays and a TB test. I'm pretty sure the illegals and refugees coming from all over the world aren't getting the scrutiny she got many yeras ago.
She was only moving 4 miles north.
No, they aren't. When I worked on the dairies in CA we had a TB outbreak. Every cow had to test and someone got the idea that they needed to test all of the employees as well to make sure they weren't getting it from the cows. That died quickly when they figured out that more of the employees tested positive than cows and that's with thousands of cows and a handful of employees.

Latest posts