• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

What is the difference

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I have no experience with corn gluten, but I believe it's extracted when corn is processed for industrial use, corn sweeteners etc. Dried distillers grain is a refined by-product of ethanol production. It is a cheap enough source of 30 ish percent protein to ship at least 300 miles. It really puts a shine on grass calves over the winter, and fits in any mixed ration. If you can feed it right, it will winter cows. I prefer alfalfa because I think you get more than protein, and I have seen that 5 pounds help fill bellies. I don't know the exact CP, I just see the results.

If you haul the ddg too far in a regular hopper bottom grain trailer it can kind of set up and be a little difficult unloading, and don't ever store it where you can't get at it with a loader.

I have a hard time getting straight DDG to flow thru my cake feeder very well. We 5 gallon bucket feed about 60 buckets of ddg on a daily basis here currently and it's stored in a commodity shed.

I feed both. Depending on price.
Gluten has to be several dollars cheaper to be worth feeding it over DDG.
Both are great products though and I'm feeding calves. Mixing corn with either.
Either are fine for feeding cattle too. Gluten by itself is plenty good for cows on hay.
The last load I got was pellets. They are real nice but don't often get them. I buY seconds and damaged so I get what I get.
Paid 100/ton delivered for the last one. That's as cheap as I've ever paid.
Highest was 163/ton for undamaged first grade DDG.

Corn gluten feed is a byproduct of the corn syrup and corn starch manufacturing process. Much different than DDG which is byproduct of ethanol manufacturing (use to be primarily from high quality whiskey distilling. lol). DDG is a much higher quality product ranging in crude protein from 25% to as much as 34% and containing fat levels as high as 15% in some cases. Corn gluten feed will vary from 14% crude protein up to as high s 21% in some instances but most of the fat has been removed thus it has much lower net energy values than DDG and is considered more as a simply grain by-product. Just a personal opinion but I have very high regard for DDG but Corn gluten always hits me as sort of a "last resort" feed ingredient. Both work well when used properly and can be very cost effective.

TexasBred said:
Corn gluten feed is a byproduct of the corn syrup and corn starch manufacturing process. Much different than DDG which is byproduct of ethanol manufacturing (use to be primarily from high quality whiskey distilling. lol). DDG is a much higher quality product ranging in crude protein from 25% to as much as 34% and containing fat levels as high as 15% in some cases. Corn gluten feed will vary from 14% crude protein up to as high s 21% in some instances but most of the fat has been removed thus it has much lower net energy values than DDG and is considered more as a simply grain by-product. Just a personal opinion but I have very high regard for DDG but Corn gluten always hits me as sort of a "last resort" feed ingredient. Both work well when used properly and can be very cost effective.
TB explained it much better than me.

Latest posts