• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Record Red Angus commercial heifer calf sale today!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

BRG

Reaction score
Today in Mobridge, SD a customer (Bickle Ranch) sold their open Red Angus heifer calves. We were contending bidders but did not get them. He sold a load weighing 546lbs and they left the ring at $1.68 or $917 a heifer. Congradulations Jack!!!

BRG said:
Today in Mobridge, SD a customer (Bickle Ranch) sold their open Red Angus heifer calves. We were contending bidders but did not get them. He sold a load weighing 546lbs and they left the ring at $1.68 or $917 a heifer. Congradulations Jack!!!

Indeed, not only a great day for Bickel's but also the Red Angus breed. I can't think of a person/ranch who deserves it more either!

Cheers---

TTB :wink:

Yup, this cattle market sure is down, ain't it? :wink:

Wonder what they will be worth in about 4 or 5 years. The same amount?

From the sounds of Agman and some others, we are at the top and headed down.

I don't think the people who bought these, must feel this way. :)

Congratulations to the Bickle Ranch on a fine sale of commercial replacement heifer prospects.

The Valentine sale wasn't quite that elaborate today, although one group of 29 Angus heifers weighing 668 pounds did bring $132.00 per cwt. We sold two loads of black-hided steers. 94 head weighed 660 pounds and brought $119.75 cwt, and the other 98 head weighed 597 pounds and brought $119.25 cwt. It seems like the most demand today was for the heavier-type calves. Last year, these same two loads of our calves were 659 pounds @ $129.00 and 606 pounds @ $139.00. Last year they all averaged $846 before expenses, and this year it is $751 before expenses. The $95 less money per calf will be missed. :cry: :? :???: But I guess that is just Life. :shock: :wink:

Congradulations on the sales. Beef sales will cool down a little and then go back up. The future looks good. The US population is now 300,000,000
In 12 more years it is expected to be 400,000,000. That is a growth rate over 8% a year. The nations beef herd is only growing at a rate of 1.65%
a year. Higher demand means higher prices .If I was young again I would
go a million dollars in debt and owe my sole to tyhe company store. lol :D

Shorthornguy said:
Congradulations on the sales. Beef sales will cool down a little and then go back up. The future looks good. The US population is now 300,000,000
In 12 more years it is expected to be 400,000,000. That is a growth rate over 8% a year. The nations beef herd is only growing at a rate of 1.65%
a year. Higher demand means higher prices .If I was young again I would
go a million dollars in debt and owe my sole to tyhe company store. lol :D

Man, I like your math and your optimism! :D

Optomisim like that makes ranchers that sell cattle wealthy. :lol:

Lots of guys that paid the $1500-1700 per cow here prior to 2003 no longer sing the same tune.

Wow...that was a heck of sale, congratulations to them :) and to you too Soapweed, thats nothing to sneeze at :p

I've been thinking the same as Shorthornguy, while I'm still young and all. I've heard that it's a little tough to borrow money on optimism alone. :lol:

There are realists like Jason out there employed in banking institutions that take the wind out of those lofty cowboy visions. :cry:

Nonetheless, great news for the Bickle ranch and not too shabby for you too, Soapweed.

The biggest mistake anyone with cattle can make is never thinking they will be worth enough to worry about tax planning.

Things change and any big sale of cows can eat you alive unless you have planned it out.

Every ranch/farm whatever should have a talk with some kind of tax/accountant/finacial guy even if it is just a fact finding talk.

Properly planned you can sell in a high cow market and keep most of it :)

Jason said:
Properly planned you can sell in a high cow market and keep most of it :)

Yeah, proper planning. Too bad we couldn't make that part work!

Oh, I got to keep most of it. problem was, that I owed it to the bank. or , really, my folks did, when I was buying them out.

Oh well, it was just the way it worked out and it could have been worse. I could have had to give it all away, if it had been in a lower point in the cow price cycle instead of the higher point. :)

Heard this evening, that at the sale at St Onge, today or maybe yesterday, 5 weight good black steers in small bunches were bringing 90 to 95 cents. I asked why and he said that he heard that the corn prices jumped 30 cents, so they were backing off on the calves.

He said he also heard that there were a bunch of the big boys who were messing with the market to drive up corn so they could buy their calves cheaper and then when they got theirs bought, they would let the corn price come back down.

It's hard for me to believe that they've got that much control, but then, I don't get out all that much, around them big boys. :lol:

And I guess if you were talking some of the guys who had a lot of cattle hooked into the packers, maybe it could be true.

I contracted mine for $1.23 at 600#s with a 5 cent slide about a month ago sure am glad about that.Was thinking on selling some heifers but I got lots of feed and lots of credit so as they say in Vegas "Let er Roll"

An order buyer friend of ours is here right now and I ran your post
by him, Jinglebob. He says not even a GROUP of people could control
the corn market. The corn market has about a million contracts on
it right now. One contract is for 5000 bu. The corn market is being controlled by investment funds; Goldman Sacks, etc; all the big investment companies. It has nothing to do with feeders, farmers or ranchers. It's controlled by a lot of the same people who are in the energy market.

They'd rather have their money in corn right now as say, Wal-Mart
stock. They think its safer. Corn prices are rising because of the lack of wheat.

If corn goes up a buck a bushel it changes the break-evens on cattle.

He thinks the market will come back but it will take awhile.
Mid-November or even December is his guess. If corn keeps going
up, of course it won't come back, but he doesn't think will corn
will go much higher.

There you have it, FWIW. This is a good guy that buys cattle all
across SD. He's been buying here since 1998 and probably is one of
the best buyers around.

I heard from a Tyson exec. that they are the largest grain buyer in the world. I think I heard him say larger than all but a few nations but I can't remember for sure. It's been a few years ago when they purchased IBP. He said their main purpose in buying IBP was that it complemented their grain hedges.

Latest posts