• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Japan opposition says no US beef imports by June

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Tommy

Reaction score
Japan opposition says no US beef imports by June

Reuters

Tue Apr 25, 2006

By Aya Takada

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan is unlikely to allow U.S. beef imports to restart by the end of the current parliamentary session in June because opposition lawmakers will step up efforts to block a resumption, Japan's largest opposition party said on Tuesday.

Masahiko Yamada, who is in charge of farm policy at the Democratic Party of Japan, said the party would urge the government to keep a ban on U.S. beef until Washington tightens animal feed rules to stop the spread of mad cow disease.

"We will do our best at the agriculture committee of the lower house, where opposition lawmakers take the initiative in debate," Yamada said.

The current session of parliament is due to end on June 18, although ruling parties may extend it for the passage of key bills.

Japan suspended U.S. beef imports on January 20, just a month after it partially lifted a two-year-old ban on U.S. beef imposed over mad cow disease fears, when Japanese inspectors discovered banned spinal material in a veal shipment from New York.

The government has said it would not allow imports to restart until Washington found the cause of the violation and took measures to prevent a recurrence.

However, Yamada said it would be hard for the United States to prevent similar incidents completely, since U.S. companies made repeated shipments of banned cattle parts to Hong Kong this year.

Hong Kong this month suspended beef imports from a Cargill processing plant in Kansas after finding bones that the United States had agreed would be removed to reduce the risk of mad cow disease.

Last month Hong Kong had suspended beef imports from another U.S. processing plant.

Japan last December lifted a ban on U.S. beef on condition that the meat was from animals no older than 20 months and that specified risk materials that could spread mad cow disease, such as spinal cords, were removed before shipment.

Yamada said these conditions were inadequate to ensure the safety of U.S. beef. He said he saw for himself that U.S. meat plants had trouble adhering to the requirements when he and his party colleagues visited facilities there earlier this year.

He said the largest problem with the U.S. safety measures against mad cow disease was that the government still allows specified risk materials from cattle to be used as feed for other animals such as pigs and chickens.

Although the U.S. government bans the use of cattle parts for cattle feed, American cattle are at the risk of eating banned materials as they can be fed with spilled chicken feed, he said.

"The Japanese government should ask the United States to tighten animal feed regulations as a prerequisite for an import resumption," he said.

If Washington does not tighten feed rules, Yamada said, Japan could still allow beef imports from U.S. companies that can supply beef from cattle tested negative for mad cow disease, such as Creekstone Farms Premium Beef LLC.

Last month, the Kansas company sued the U.S. Agriculture Department in an effort to be allowed to voluntarily test its cattle for mad cow disease. The USDA opposes private testing of cattle.

Mad cow disease, formally called bovine spongiform encephalopathy, is believed to be caused by malformed proteins and spread through infected feed.

"If Washington does not tighten feed rules, Yamada said, Japan could still allow beef imports from U.S. companies that can supply beef from cattle tested negative for mad cow disease, such as Creekstone Farms Premium Beef LLC."

SH, please read this statement and tell us what you think it means.

Sandhusker said:
"If Washington does not tighten feed rules, Yamada said, Japan could still allow beef imports from U.S. companies that can supply beef from cattle tested negative for mad cow disease, such as Creekstone Farms Premium Beef LLC."

I'm waiting for this :wink: I can just imagine what the dog town interpretation is :roll: :lol:

I dont care what these so called self proclaimed experts say,No imports till we regain all exports,remember how we lost our exports...........good luck

He is probably busy today so I will help with his response. (all in fun SH! :lol: )

HAHAHAHA! (fill in the blanks from the attached list below) You _______ ______ really think you have something here! You got nothing!
You ______ ______ just don't get it! They already took the _______ meat untested! That trumps any ______ arguments you _______ ______ have! You have already been humbled by my superior knowledge. How many times do I have to make _______ fools out of you exposing your ______ lies. Imagine an entire support group of_______ cannot find enough facts to counter my common sense arguments! You _____ _______ ___'s

Pathetic, blamers, parasites, hypocritical, greedy, violent, malevolent, vengeful, cowardly, deadly, mendacious, meretricious, loathsome, despicable, belligerent, opportunistic, barratrous, contemptible, criminal, fascistic, bigoted, racist, sexist, avaricious, tasteless, idiotic, brain-damaged, imbecilic, insane, arrogant, deceitful, demented, lame, self-righteous, byzantine, conspiratorial, satanic, fraudulent, libelous, bilious, splenetic, spastic, ignorant, clueless, illegitimate, harmful, destructive, dumb evasive, double-talking, devious, revisionist, narrow, manipulative, paternalistic, fundamentalist, dogmatic, idolatrous, unethical, cultic, diseased, suppressive, controlling, restrictive, malignant, deceptive, dim, crazy, weird, dystopic, stifling, uncaring, plantigrade, grim, unsympathetic, jargon-spouting, censorious, secretive, aggressive, mind-numbing, arassive, poisonous, flagrant, self-destructive, abusive, socially-retarded, puerile.

You got NOTHING!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

NEXT!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oldtimer said:
Sandhusker said:

I'm waiting for this :wink: I can just imagine what the dog town interpretation is :roll: :lol:

My entry to the "What will SH come up with" contest; DECEPTION! THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE ASKING, I GUARANTEE IT! ILLUSION! SHOW ME A NOTARIZED DOCUMENT SIGNED BY THE EMPORER THAT SAYS THEY'LL ACCEPT TESTED BEEF! DECEPTION! BRAAAAAAK, THE USDA KNOWS BEST! SPIN JOB! BRAAAAAAAAAAK, SCOTTY WANTS A CRACKER! R-CALF ALL LIES, ALL LIES! :wink:

fedup2 said:
He is probably busy today so I will help with his response. (all in fun SH! :lol: )

HAHAHAHA! (fill in the blanks from the attached list below) You _______ ______ really think you have something here! You got nothing!
You ______ ______ just don't get it! They already took the _______ meat untested! That trumps any ______ arguments you _______ ______ have! You have already been humbled by my superior knowledge. How many times do I have to make _______ fools out of you exposing your ______ lies. Imagine an entire support group of_______ cannot find enough facts to counter my common sense arguments! You _____ _______ ___'s

Pathetic, blamers, parasites, hypocritical, greedy, violent, malevolent, vengeful, cowardly, deadly, mendacious, meretricious, loathsome, despicable, belligerent, opportunistic, barratrous, contemptible, criminal, fascistic, bigoted, racist, sexist, avaricious, tasteless, idiotic, brain-damaged, imbecilic, insane, arrogant, deceitful, demented, lame, self-righteous, byzantine, conspiratorial, satanic, fraudulent, libelous, bilious, splenetic, spastic, ignorant, clueless, illegitimate, harmful, destructive, dumb evasive, double-talking, devious, revisionist, narrow, manipulative, paternalistic, fundamentalist, dogmatic, idolatrous, unethical, cultic, diseased, suppressive, controlling, restrictive, malignant, deceptive, dim, crazy, weird, dystopic, stifling, uncaring, plantigrade, grim, unsympathetic, jargon-spouting, censorious, secretive, aggressive, mind-numbing, arassive, poisonous, flagrant, self-destructive, abusive, socially-retarded, puerile.

You got NOTHING!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

NEXT!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fedup, I'm sitting here laughing my tail off while at the same time wishing you had not written this.

Reason? You have given him a completely new vocabulary to use. :lol:

Or,hayseed you village idiot,you dont know anything you dumb ass red neck Im the expert blah blah blah,next!!!!!!!!!!!!............good luck

SH's response to Sandhusker--oops--sandbag, after taking my course called '6 wks to a new powerful vocabulary!' (alternately titled 'words with more than 4 letters!)

Try to edit your responses of unnecessary material before attempting to impress us with your insight. The evidence that you are a nincompoop will still be available to readers, but they will be able to access it ever so much more rapidly.

And what meaning do you expect your delusionally self-important statements of unknowing, inexperienced opinion to have with us? What fantasy do you hold that you would believe that your tiny-fisted tantrums would have more weight than that of a leprous desert rat, spinning rabidly in a circle, waiting for the bite of the snake?

I cannot believe how incredibly stupid you are. I mean rock-hard stupid. Dehydrated-rock-hard stupid. Stupid so stupid that it goes way beyond the stupid we know into a whole different dimension of stupid.
You are trans-stupid stupid. Meta-stupid. Stupid collapsed on itself so far that even the neutrons have collapsed. Stupid gotten so dense that no intellect can escape. Singularity stupid. Blazing hot mid-day sun on Mercury stupid.

You emit more stupid in one second than our entire galaxy emits in a year. Quasar stupid. Your writing has to be a troll. Nothing in our universe can really be this stupid. Perhaps this is some primordial fragment from the original big bang of stupid. Some pure essence of a stupid so uncontaminated by anything else as to be beyond the laws of physics that we know. I'm sorry. I can't go on. This is an epiphany of stupid for me. After this, you may not hear from me again for a while. I don't have enough strength left to deride your ignorant questions and half baked comments about unimportant trivia, or any of the rest of this drivel.

Next!---oops--Subsequently

The quote means what it says, but it is a statement made by the "opposition" party, Can anyone tell me if they have the votes to make their policy the policy of Japan?

I apologize for taking up this forums space with my silly-#ss attempts to lighten things up. I feel many of these discussions-arguments have deteriorated to a point to where no one is willing to give up even the slightest points to an opposing view.
I continue to read this forum because every once in a while someone brings new information, new thoughts, & new stories. For those, I thank you. Hope you all have a great week !

jojo said:
The quote means what it says, but it is a statement made by the "opposition" party, Can anyone tell me if they have the votes to make their policy the policy of Japan?

They have obviously ruled the day for over two years.

Except for maybe a few short weeks of shipping, until the USDA screwed that one up too!

You guys are sinking your teeth into the following quote:

I assumed you were alluding to the fact that someone in Japan is quoted as saying they would allow Creekstone to import their beef if it was tested. Thus, my question still stands: Do they have the votes to make their (the Opposition Party's) policy the policy of the Japanese government? In other words, will the opposition party be able to garner the votes to make it the public policy of Japan that they would allow tested beef?

If not, the quote is nothing more than a political quote.

jojo said:

I assumed you were alluding to the fact that someone in Japan is quoted as saying they would allow Creekstone to import their beef if it was tested. Thus, my question still stands: Do they have the votes to make their (the Opposition Party's) policy the policy of the Japanese government? In other words, will the opposition party be able to garner the votes to make it the public policy of Japan that they would allow tested beef?

You've got a good point, jojo. However, the Japanese negotiators were asking the USDA for tested beef as well. It is their current law. I don't find it real hard to believe that we couldn't ship tested beef over there.

jojo said:

jojo, no one knows for sure what will happen until it already has. This is as strong of evidence as you get for what the Japanese say they want in order to allow imports from the U.S.

There are no guarantees in anything in life and you can make a mountain out of a molehill if you are so inclined.

Japan does not trust the U.S. handling of bse and many of the critics here in the U.S. don't either. If the Japanese were to have beef exported to them tested and then not take it, then the onus could be put on the Japanese, absent the kind of missteps the USDA has been doing.

To say that this quote doesn't mean that the Japanese would take tested U.S. beef when they are the ones pushing for the tests and they test themselves is just being argumentative.

Arguments haven't opened U.S. exports to Japan yet; they have kept them closed. Maybe it is time for actions instead of rhetoric. The USDA made a huge blunder on not allowing safety standards that exceed what the USDA requires. They did the same thing for big business when it comes to environmental regulations by the states. It might be good for the businesses who are in their pockets of politicians, but it is not good for the rest of us. Making laws that restrict procedures protecting the safety of the citizens or even the perceived safety only serves big business. It usually comes back to bite you on the butt in the long run.

fedup2 said:
SH's response to Sandhusker--oops--sandbag, after taking my course called '6 wks to a new powerful vocabulary!' (alternately titled 'words with more than 4 letters!)

Try to edit your responses of unnecessary material before attempting to impress us with your insight. The evidence that you are a nincompoop will still be available to readers, but they will be able to access it ever so much more rapidly.

And what meaning do you expect your delusionally self-important statements of unknowing, inexperienced opinion to have with us? What fantasy do you hold that you would believe that your tiny-fisted tantrums would have more weight than that of a leprous desert rat, spinning rabidly in a circle, waiting for the bite of the snake?

I cannot believe how incredibly stupid you are. I mean rock-hard stupid. Dehydrated-rock-hard stupid. Stupid so stupid that it goes way beyond the stupid we know into a whole different dimension of stupid.
You are trans-stupid stupid. Meta-stupid. Stupid collapsed on itself so far that even the neutrons have collapsed. Stupid gotten so dense that no intellect can escape. Singularity stupid. Blazing hot mid-day sun on Mercury stupid.

You emit more stupid in one second than our entire galaxy emits in a year. Quasar stupid. Your writing has to be a troll. Nothing in our universe can really be this stupid. Perhaps this is some primordial fragment from the original big bang of stupid. Some pure essence of a stupid so uncontaminated by anything else as to be beyond the laws of physics that we know. I'm sorry. I can't go on. This is an epiphany of stupid for me. After this, you may not hear from me again for a while. I don't have enough strength left to deride your ignorant questions and half baked comments about unimportant trivia, or any of the rest of this drivel.

Next!---oops--Subsequently

UH-OH, Fedup, you've just written yourself a one-way ticket to the "blamers club'. There's plenty of us here already, but we can always make room for more. We've got the R-CALF section, the Canadian section, the general section - take your pick and welcome! :wink: :lol:

Fedup,

I understand completely! You don't have anything relevant to bring to the table so you have asssumed the role of sarcastic forum police towards those you disagree with while you give a green pass to similar statements by those you agree with. Real independent thinking there champ!

It's obvious you'd rather be lied to by Conman and deceived by little Sandcheska than deal with someone who is intollerant of those lies and that deception and actually presents the facts on the issues. I understand completely. Those who bring nothing to the table always discuss the manner in which other bring something to the table. Always been that way, always will be that way.

Did you have anything relevant to add to the discussion? NO?

Gee, imagine that?

Sandbag: "SH, please read this statement and tell us what you think it means."

It means two things:

1. It means it's obvious UP TO THIS POINT, Japan has taken no official position on importing bse tested beef from this country.

Kinda bury's your position doesn't it?

2. It tells me that Yamada is still under the impression that Creekstone's test would reveal bse prions in cattle under 24 months of age when we all know it won't. He actually believes "BSE TESTED" means "BSE FREE" when Creekstone even admitted that it's not.

3. It tells me that Yamada is unaware that Creekstone's test has not been approved by USDA and therefore is illegal.

What else should it tell me little Sandcheska?

YOU GOT NOTHING HERE SANDCHESKA! (that was for Fedup so he wouldn't feel left out of the discussion)

~SH~

"UP TO THIS POINT"? :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Take a look at the date on Veneman's letter.

And you bring the facts............ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts