• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Should we give this place a funeral?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
So sad that no one makes posts here any more. I check in, but there is nothing new except Martin's daily posts. Is everyone just too busy? Or are they on to other things like FB or Cattle Today? I miss the members here and their posts.
What about Mountain Cowgirl? Does anyone know how she is?

Yes sure quiet around here, I think you and I are probably two of the longest time members still around.
Sad to see it decline the way it has, lots of great memories, some of epic arguments, fun times and sad times we shared with friends.

Seems to me the start of the demise was the difficulty posting photos, they said they couldn't change the software but yet it was easy on Facebook, that drew many away.

Not much activity. I check around every so often but not much to hang around for. I do spend some time at cattle today.

Our joined dates are sequential, although I don't have nearly the volume of posts as you two.

Last edited:
I still check in every day, but yeah, sure slow around here lately. Maybe too soon for a funeral, but sure needs a shot of something. I never go to CT anymore and never have done facebook, but I think that must be where a lot of our crew went.

Also, spring has always been kinda slow around ranchers as everybody is really getting busy. Similar to how it always slowed down in the fall as everybody was trying to wrap things up to hunker down into the dog days of winter.

It would be nice to be able to go back to the old Bull Session days. Or even Political Bull when it was booming. Seems like there's plenty that we could discuss in the politics forum now, but I think everybody is like me and just too sick of the **** going on in this country now to even discuss it anymore.

I would love to hear everyone's story of their day. Even ordinary days can seem interesting to others.
My days recently have been extraordinary. I am in England on a farm with sheep shearing going on today and cattle grazing on grass shoulder high! Watching my extraordinary three year old granddaughter. 😍

Very busy stocking up the hay yard.Wheat hay earlier.Got my 1st cutting of hay grazer cut down day before yesterday.Hoping to get it baled before it rains Sunday.We've been wet for a change this Spring.It's been awesome.Running mommas thru the pens worming them and pulling a few of the older calves off of them.Going to work some more mommas at another place after I get the grazer in the yard.

I miss the chatter too,and look in just about every morning.

Very busy stocking up the hay yard.Wheat hay earlier.Got my 1st cutting of hay grazer cut down day before yesterday.Hoping to get it baled before it rains Sunday.We've been wet for a change this Spring.It's been awesome.Running mommas thru the pens worming them and pulling a few of the older calves off of them.Going to work some more mommas at another place after I get the grazer in the yard.

I miss the chatter too,and look in just about every morning.
It has been nice at home too. Small rains keep coming but every week we pray for more. We missed a late fall/early winter snow cover, which after 2023/2024 winter, probably would have frozen our souls more than the ground 😱. 😂so we are just dealing with what we get. The pleasant winter was a God sent blessing.
Does it look like flies are going to be a terror again this year? They are already pesky at home.

We have had wind and more wind here. Some dirt blowing.
Rains have gone around us again. Had one good one that gave us hope for a better year but it's dry again.
Hauled four horses to a sale yesterday, 3 of ours and one for the neighbour, sold well for what they were, Meat horse prices must be up as he was competing with the other buyers.
Calves are pretty much all on the ground and about 1/3 branded.

Happy to see so many chime in.

I still check in every day, but yeah, sure slow around here lately. Maybe too soon for a funeral, but sure needs a shot of something. I never go to CT anymore and never have done facebook, but I think that must be where a lot of our crew went.

Also, spring has always been kinda slow around ranchers as everybody is really getting busy. Similar to how it always slowed down in the fall as everybody was trying to wrap things up to hunker down into the dog days of winter.

It would be nice to be able to go back to the old Bull Session days. Or even Political Bull when it was booming. Seems like there's plenty that we could discuss in the politics forum now, but I think everybody is like me and just too sick of the **** going on in this country now to even discuss it anymore.
I do believe everyone is tired of social media. I look at the email notifications and then just delete them and move on for the most part. We did ship our fall calves yesterday so I do have more time to see what is trending. I do like a good hunting or fishing video.

OOPS. Edited because I replied to the wrong post.

Last edited:
I would love to hear everyone's story of their day. Even ordinary days can seem interesting to others.
My days recently have been extraordinary. I am in England on a farm with sheep shearing going on today and cattle grazing on grass shoulder high! Watching my extraordinary three year old granddaughter. 😍
So glad you are enjoying your England family, Peach. Thanks for posting. I think I can speak for us all, that this place will never be the same without Soapweed.

Not much activity. I check around every so often but not much to hang around for. I do spend some time at cattle today.

Our joined dates are sequential, although I don't have nearly the volume of posts as you two.
I'm not sure about BMR, but I think we both have been here longer than 2005. Ranchers.net sold in 2005 (if I remember correctly) and the 'joined date' started then. It would be interesting to know what year Ranchers.net first started.
Anyway, DanG, you certainly are one of the 'old-timers' here.

Yes sure quiet around here, I think you and I are probably two of the longest time members still around.
Sad to see it decline the way it has, lots of great memories, some of epic arguments, fun times and sad times we shared with friends.

Seems to me the start of the demise was the difficulty posting photos, they said they couldn't change the software but yet it was easy on Facebook, that drew many away.
Yep, you and me and I talk more than you do. 🤣
I've tried to get mustang back posting pictures but he isn't interested. He really like showing us the mustangs on the Utah dessert but he finally gave up because posting pictures was impossible for him.

It has been a while since I have posted anything, mainly it because I mostly come here to learn, I'm just a hobby farmer, with 4 cows, 2 of them are old and stay around for one reason, they were here when my grandson was here with us. His first word was Moo, all he ever wanted to do was go see the cows.

I posted a several years back that we had started a foundation in his name to provide a youth in our state with a heifer to raise and show each year we covered the cost of feed as well as some of the show expenses. We try and fins applicants who have the desire but not the funding to raise a beef project, we do our best to give them something that is competitive, if they put in the work.

We are on our 7th year now, we have expanded to project steers as well, this year we are sponsoring 2 heifers and 2 steers. Over the past 7 years we have sponsored 10 Heifers and 8 Steers. Every year Colburn Cattle has provided Angus Heifers for us, the heifers go back to them after the season, the steers are sold after the fair, the young men and women who have raised them are guaranteed $500 regardless if the animal makes money or not, anything over $500 they split with the foundation for future projects.

We have been so lucky to have been able to work with kids who are hardworking, responsible people. Last year I was contacted by one of the high schools we have worked with, he had a student that was a good kid but he was afraid he was going to go down the wrong path if he had too much free time, we sponsored him with a steer, he was there every day, working with his animal, he may have taken a lot more of my time giving him direction but, he raised the calf well won his class at the fair, graduated and is now an electrical apprentice. It seems like every kid we have had has gone on to do something with their lives, I believe the life lessons they learned working with their projects played a part in that. Some of the kids and their animals.

Jenna Kylie Paso.jpeg
ethan and mandy 1.jpg
IMG_0038 (002).jpeg
amber March.jpg
kiara and Ironman.jpg
212 welsey ramona.jpg
otis after clipping.jpg
C Buttercup 2.jpg
ROcket AZ.jpg
e kids and their projects
porcha yuma 1.jpg

I'm not sure about BMR, but I think we both have been here longer than 2005. Ranchers.net sold in 2005 (if I remember correctly) and the 'joined date' started then. It would be interesting to know what year Ranchers.net first started.
Anyway, DanG, you certainly are one of the 'old-timers' here.
I remember Soapweed joining ranchers.net in about 1996? His mother thought our children needed a computer. Soap was against it but ended up being the first one to get addicted. 😂

Latest posts