• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Any good advice...?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

enge0376

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have been looking at some interesting posts on here every once in awhile when i get the time and it seems like there are some pretty interesting people on this forum, and i have even learned a few things. Anyway, i just graduated from the U of M-Crookston campus with a B.S. in Animal Science and am looking at what opportunities might be available out there. I really enjoy working with cattle and have my entire life. For the last couple years I have been working for a good sized feedlot not too far from home and it has been a pretty good experience. I dont mind working long hours and really enjoy the cattle side of their operation, so they want to keep me on full time now after graduation, but don't know yet how much they can afford to pay. The cost of living is going up so much so I might consider some other options and see just what I might be capable of doing even if it means moving out of ND. Just curious to what some of you think, is there a lot of opportunity out there in your different areas, or would it be better to get some more experience and stay where I am for a while longer? I understand the cattle feeding industry pretty well, but am not afraid to work hard either and keep learning as I go. Thanks in advance for any advice you might have!

If you've worked there for a couple years, I'd spread my wings and see the world a bit. I did it myself for a few years. Worked on some ranches, worked rigs, did some pipelining, environmental reclamation, and surveying. Everything I did taught me something that I still use on a daily basis around our ranch. And I also experienced hundreds of things that opened my eyes up to the reality of our society, and made me a better person for it.

As my Pappy always said, "Experience is the best teacher". That's the best advice I can give ya. Best of luck.

I'd second what Pure Country said.........did it for 12 years before I had to settle into somethin permanent. Don't regret one day.............

Good luck in whatever yall decide...............

Thanks for the replies, it would really be nice to get out and see whats out there. There is no doubt that I love living in ND, but I'm sure there is a lot of other wonderful country to get out and see too so I will take it one day at a time and see what happens.

Latest posts