Sleepless in the Prairie

A friendly place to talk about the weather, tell jokes and post cowboy poetry.
sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Sleepless in the Prairie

Post by sweetbasil » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:37 pm

May this message find each of you well and safe. June marks seven years since I moved to the Midwest. It is hard to believe it has been this long. The experiences that this journey has brought me is like walking through the wilderness. During this journey, I have witnessed God at work in my life. I learned that all that I need is God to make it through anything and succeed in life. As long as I do my part to honor God in behavior and artist use, I trust He takes responsibility for my well-being.

I don’t know if there is a breakthrough coming my way on something that I have prayed for over 22 years, because the devil seems to be working overtime lately. In December, my house was impacted with water damage and ended up being under construction for about two months. That mark the second incident. I contracted a virus with all the symptoms like those of COVID-19 on January 1st and it moved to my lungs, which I now understand the pain when the lungs are struggling to grasp for air. It was not an easy experience to go through it alone. I also learned that my little “nephew” who was scheduled to start college in the fall was diagnosed with a cancerous tumor in his brain. It was removed late May, but he will have to go through a lot of surgeries and the pain of the whole trial. On Saturday, I walked into my house to find a lake in the house. A pipe broke in between the wall in the bathroom downstairs and the garage. I will learn more about the types of repairs next week once I get an estimate. This year indeed has felt like I am far from reaching the valley in the journey. The experiences of this year and being a lone during this time with no contact with others have made it very lonely. I am OK to be alone, but being lonely is a complete different feeling. I know that God reminds me in His Word that I am no alone, but sometimes I wish I could have someone to share a meal. Despite everything, I am thankful for His protection, provision, and providing my mom and I with good health, and allowing me the opportunity to have a job right now.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Sleepless in the Prairie

Post by Faster horses » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:54 pm

sweetbasil wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:37 pm
May this message find each of you well and safe. June marks seven years since I moved to the Midwest. It is hard to believe it has been this long. The experiences that this journey has brought me is like walking through the wilderness. During this journey, I have witnessed God at work in my life. I learned that all that I need is God to make it through anything and succeed in life. As long as I do my part to honor God in behavior and artist use, I trust He takes responsibility for my well-being.

I don’t know if there is a breakthrough coming my way on something that I have prayed for over 22 years, because the devil seems to be working overtime lately. In December, my house was impacted with water damage and ended up being under construction for about two months. That mark the second incident. I contracted a virus with all the symptoms like those of COVID-19 on January 1st and it moved to my lungs, which I now understand the pain when the lungs are struggling to grasp for air. It was not an easy experience to go through it alone. I also learned that my little “nephew” who was scheduled to start college in the fall was diagnosed with a cancerous tumor in his brain. It was removed late May, but he will have to go through a lot of surgeries and the pain of the whole trial. On Saturday, I walked into my house to find a lake in the house. A pipe broke in between the wall in the bathroom downstairs and the garage. I will learn more about the types of repairs next week once I get an estimate. This year indeed has felt like I am far from reaching the valley in the journey. The experiences of this year and being a lone during this time with no contact with others have made it very lonely. I am OK to be alone, but being lonely is a complete different feeling. I know that God reminds me in His Word that I am no alone, but sometimes I wish I could have someone to share a meal. Despite everything, I am thankful for His protection, provision, and providing my mom and I with good health, and allowing me the opportunity to have a job right now.
So sorry to hear about all you have gone through. I only wish you were closer. I wish I had some words of wisdom for you, and all I can think of is "never give up." You are in my thoughts and prayers.
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Big Muddy rancher » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:34 am

Sorry for all your troubles, So Glad you realize you have friends here at Ranchers.
2020 has been a difficult year for many so you my be lonely but you sure aren't alone.

Take Care, Michael

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Post by sweetbasil » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:37 pm

Faster horses wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:54 pm
sweetbasil wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:37 pm

So sorry to hear about all you have gone through. I only wish you were closer. I wish I had some words of wisdom for you, and all I can think of is "never give up." You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Hello Faster Horses,

Thank you for the prayers and your friendship. I wish you were closer, I am looking forward to having the opportunity to connect when I visit Montana next time.

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Post by sweetbasil » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:43 pm

Big Muddy rancher wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:34 am
Sorry for all your troubles, So Glad you realize you have friends here at Ranchers.
2020 has been a difficult year for many so you my be lonely but you sure aren't alone.

Take Care, Michael
Thank you, Michael. Yes, 2020 has been quite a year for many people, but the good thing is that the year is going by very fast. June.

Take care,
Sweetbasil

mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Post by mrj » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:12 am

Good to have you back on ranchersnet, sweet basil! I don't make as much time for internet as in the past. Lots of great-grandkids nearby is a blessing, and so is reasonably good health for both of 'the eldest generation! The sixth generation on this ranch range from age 2 (soon to be joined by a little brother)in one grandsons' family, and three little girls ages about six months to age 8 in the other family. I will be 80 years old next month, and am thankful to be in good enough health to enjoy life, even if it is somewhat slow-paced and painful and can't do some things I'd like. I don't have to look far to see people with much more pain and ill health than I have, so do appreciate my blessings.

We have been blest with enough rain to grow pretty good amount of grass, and cattle are looking good and the brandings in this area are nearly over. Think there is one in the area today. I was told about 5:30 this morning I didn't need to get up and fix breakfast before my partner went someplace to brand, which is another life's little blessings, tho I'm not very good at 'sleeping in', it was nice not to have to jump up really early.

The creek running behind our house has been running for more than two years now, so we definitely are in a good rain cycle. It drains a very large area, from Kadoka, SD to 1880 Town to Okaton, SD, along the north side of I-90, which I'm guessing is about 40 miles, so can get a little too close! And even just 3" deep in the walk-out basement a couple of years ago definitely was TOO CLOSE! At least it was clear, no mud, no close neighbors, so a good scrubbing with Clorox water took care of the 'damage'. But we STILL haven't built the 'sea wall' I want, to prevent it happening again. And, given that many years, it dries up entirely, and relatively few years that it overflows even a little bit, I'm not really overly burdened by the messes it makes, considering the beauty all the trees that it supports gives me. And that is just the 'frosting on the cake', as the real blessing is the lush pastures all that rain has produced. We haven't had to worry much about having enough grass for our cows to thrive on, for a few years now. For cattle ranchers, drought is far worse that a little too much rain!

I'm sorry to hear of those tough health problems for you and your nephew! Treatments and healing, and accepting outcomes can be so hard for both the 'patient' and the family who loves them! I hope it gives you some comfort to know your friends here on ranchers.net are sending best wishes and prayers your way!

I'm wondering what size town you live in. Sometimes a small community can nearly smother new comers with friendship, so I'm hoping some of that finds you soon! Wishing you the blessings of friends and good health.

mrj

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Post by sweetbasil » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:33 pm

mrj wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:12 am
Good to have you back on ranchersnet, sweet basil! I don't make as much time for internet as in the past. Lots of great-grandkids nearby is a blessing, and so is reasonably good health for both of 'the eldest generation! The sixth generation on this ranch range from age 2 (soon to be joined by a little brother)in one grandsons' family, and three little girls ages about six months to age 8 in the other family. I will be 80 years old next month, and am thankful to be in good enough health to enjoy life, even if it is somewhat slow-paced and painful and can't do some things I'd like. I don't have to look far to see people with much more pain and ill health than I have, so do appreciate my blessings.

We have been blest with enough rain to grow pretty good amount of grass, and cattle are looking good and the brandings in this area are nearly over. Think there is one in the area today. I was told about 5:30 this morning I didn't need to get up and fix breakfast before my partner went someplace to brand, which is another life's little blessings, tho I'm not very good at 'sleeping in', it was nice not to have to jump up really early.

The creek running behind our house has been running for more than two years now, so we definitely are in a good rain cycle. It drains a very large area, from Kadoka, SD to 1880 Town to Okaton, SD, along the north side of I-90, which I'm guessing is about 40 miles, so can get a little too close! And even just 3" deep in the walk-out basement a couple of years ago definitely was TOO CLOSE! At least it was clear, no mud, no close neighbors, so a good scrubbing with Clorox water took care of the 'damage'. But we STILL haven't built the 'sea wall' I want, to prevent it happening again. And, given that many years, it dries up entirely, and relatively few years that it overflows even a little bit, I'm not really overly burdened by the messes it makes, considering the beauty all the trees that it supports gives me. And that is just the 'frosting on the cake', as the real blessing is the lush pastures all that rain has produced. We haven't had to worry much about having enough grass for our cows to thrive on, for a few years now. For cattle ranchers, drought is far worse that a little too much rain!

I'm sorry to hear of those tough health problems for you and your nephew! Treatments and healing, and accepting outcomes can be so hard for both the 'patient' and the family who loves them! I hope it gives you some comfort to know your friends here on ranchers.net are sending best wishes and prayers your way!

I'm wondering what size town you live in. Sometimes a small community can nearly smother new comers with friendship, so I'm hoping some of that finds you soon! Wishing you the blessings of friends and good health.

mrj
Hello MRJ,

Thank you for welcoming me back to the "family" here on ranchers, the prayers and good wishes, and for a great post. I love the sound of water and I think having a creek near a house must be a beautiful thing. I appreciate your positive outlook on life as well. I admire the resiliency of our farmers and ranchers and the way they handle challenges that came with the Bomb Cyclone. My town has a population of almost 200,000. My birthday is next month as well, so I am glad to know that you are a July person as well :) May your weekend be filled with great blessings.

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Post by sweetbasil » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:44 pm

Greetings Everyone,

Hope this week was great for each of you. This time of the months is normally very busy for me. I expect to have the Auditors here any moment and next week I will be getting ready for their visit. My primary role in this company is to oversee the operations and increase/optimize processes to support our business in the Market. I get to touch the good, ugly, and anything in between that comes with this role. Thanks to God's grace, our transition to this Market has been extremely smooth since 2015. I have expanded the role so much and a lot more responsibilities have been added since I started. In addition to the responsibilities associated with this role, I have been assigned to manage larger projects. Right now, I have three projects, and one of them is coming to an end.

It was a project that gave me a lot of exposure to the technical aspect of the business and I got to work with so many people and vendors, including CAT. I have to confess that this role has been a great challenge. I like the adrenaline rush that I get from the challenges. My manager resides in a different State and I only get to talk to him once a week if his schedule allows. I only have seen him six times in almost five years. The role can be lonely at times, since I am the only person in my division that resides here outside of my director. The learning is constant which I appreciate because I love to learn and it helps me grow as a professional. I go through seasons that are very busy, but the winter season tends to be the busiest of them all. This year, I expect my busiest season to start next month. One of the main drawbacks of this role is not being properly compensated for the amount of responsibility that I have and the long days that I put in. For example, on the week of May 25th, I needed to submit an application to the Market to participate in a process. I just needed one piece of information from my manager. I requested of him to provide that information by the 28th because I was going to be in a training that week. I like to be conscious of my partners' time, and if I need their input on a particular thing or have someone do something based on his/her area of expertise, I like to give them plenty of time to get the task done. In this case, I gave my manager a 2.5 weeks notice. He waited two days before to realize he didn't have access to the system that would enable him to complete the task. He then proceeded to assign another person to do it and it took the person four times before she was able to complete the task correctly. I was in a training that Friday to obtain a certification in Agile Project Management, which I paid almost $1800 to advance myself in the industry. My manger reached out to me and I needed to stop the exam that I was about to complete to assist him in getting the task done that I asked him to do. I didn't finished with him and the other person until around 7 pm that Friday. I absolutely hate these types of situations because they could have been prevented. It appears that I find myself needing to solve fires that are unnecessary a lot and then I need to make-up the time to complete my own responsibilities, which results in working long days. Due to COVID-19, we are working from home since March. They sent us to work from home in a rush and a lot of people do not have the proper equipment to work from home. For me, I ended up needing to pay $60 out of pocket in order to get a piece of equipment to connect my large monitors, so that I can perform the financial reports that I do on a monthly basis. I also work with a lot of data on a regular basis, and the small screen on my laptop is useless. On Wednesday evening, I stated experiencing a lot of pain around my neck and shoulder blade on my left arm. It gradually got worst throughout the night and on Thursday, I was experiencing severe pain. I asked my doctor if he could take a look at it, and he indicated that the pain is due to the lack of proper egornomics, basically, I do not have the proper equipment to work which leads to not being able to maintain proper posture. I have been putting a lot of strain on my neck shoulders with the current work setting that I have. The doctor wrote a letter on the spot and recommended for my company to provide an adjustable desk to help me with the posture. I could easily go and invest the $300 to get the adjustable desk, but I don't believe I am responsible to supply office equipment to maintain the work from home policy. The pain medicine has helped me greatly to get through the rest of this week. I hope that soon I will know if I can have at least the adjustable desk to help my posture. It is hard to find dedicated employees and like my doctor said " if they don't get it together, they will lose a real gem". I am not a gem, but I like most people, I have a limit and if my manager doesn't get onboard, I will be forced to explore other opportunities for the future.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Faster horses » Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:53 pm

sweetbasil wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:44 pm
Greetings Everyone,

Hope this week was great for each of you. This time of the months is normally very busy for me. I expect to have the Auditors here any moment and next week I will be getting ready for their visit. My primary role in this company is to oversee the operations and increase/optimize processes to support our business in the Market. I get to touch the good, ugly, and anything in between that comes with this role. Thanks to God's grace, our transition to this Market has been extremely smooth since 2015. I have expanded the role so much and a lot more responsibilities have been added since I started. In addition to the responsibilities associated with this role, I have been assigned to manage larger projects. Right now, I have three projects, and one of them is coming to an end.

It was a project that gave me a lot of exposure to the technical aspect of the business and I got to work with so many people and vendors, including CAT. I have to confess that this role has been a great challenge. I like the adrenaline rush that I get from the challenges. My manager resides in a different State and I only get to talk to him once a week if his schedule allows. I only have seen him six times in almost five years. The role can be lonely at times, since I am the only person in my division that resides here outside of my director. The learning is constant which I appreciate because I love to learn and it helps me grow as a professional. I go through seasons that are very busy, but the winter season tends to be the busiest of them all. This year, I expect my busiest season to start next month. One of the main drawbacks of this role is not being properly compensated for the amount of responsibility that I have and the long days that I put in. For example, on the week of May 25th, I needed to submit an application to the Market to participate in a process. I just needed one piece of information from my manager. I requested of him to provide that information by the 28th because I was going to be in a training that week. I like to be conscious of my partners' time, and if I need their input on a particular thing or have someone do something based on his/her area of expertise, I like to give them plenty of time to get the task done. In this case, I gave my manager a 2.5 weeks notice. He waited two days before to realize he didn't have access to the system that would enable him to complete the task. He then proceeded to assign another person to do it and it took the person four times before she was able to complete the task correctly. I was in a training that Friday to obtain a certification in Agile Project Management, which I paid almost $1800 to advance myself in the industry. My manger reached out to me and I needed to stop the exam that I was about to complete to assist him in getting the task done that I asked him to do. I didn't finished with him and the other person until around 7 pm that Friday. I absolutely hate these types of situations because they could have been prevented. It appears that I find myself needing to solve fires that are unnecessary a lot and then I need to make-up the time to complete my own responsibilities, which results in working long days. Due to COVID-19, we are working from home since March. They sent us to work from home in a rush and a lot of people do not have the proper equipment to work from home. For me, I ended up needing to pay $60 out of pocket in order to get a piece of equipment to connect my large monitors, so that I can perform the financial reports that I do on a monthly basis. I also work with a lot of data on a regular basis, and the small screen on my laptop is useless. On Wednesday evening, I stated experiencing a lot of pain around my neck and shoulder blade on my left arm. It gradually got worst throughout the night and on Thursday, I was experiencing severe pain. I asked my doctor if he could take a look at it, and he indicated that the pain is due to the lack of proper egornomics, basically, I do not have the proper equipment to work which leads to not being able to maintain proper posture. I have been putting a lot of strain on my neck shoulders with the current work setting that I have. The doctor wrote a letter on the spot and recommended for my company to provide an adjustable desk to help me with the posture. I could easily go and invest the $300 to get the adjustable desk, but I don't believe I am responsible to supply office equipment to maintain the work from home policy. The pain medicine has helped me greatly to get through the rest of this week. I hope that soon I will know if I can have at least the adjustable desk to help my posture. It is hard to find dedicated employees and like my doctor said " if they don't get it together, they will lose a real gem". I am not a gem, but I like most people, I have a limit and if my manager doesn't get onboard, I will be forced to explore other opportunities for the future.
I realize that quality employees don't grow on trees and can't understand why your company doesn't realize that. Surely they know. Anyone these days who hires employees HAS to know. I hope and pray that changes for you and I hope and pray they get you the adjustable desk. I also hope you put in for reimbursement for the $60 you paid out of pocket.

I certainly wouldn't make any employment changes until this covid-19 business (monkey business in my estimation) gets over.
But then again, what do I know? I am not in the job market, so I probably shouldn't say. I do hope you don't have to keep taking
pain pills in order to do your work!!

It has been quite windy in many areas and now there is a fire south and east of us. It is WAY too early for fires!! It is dry where we are, but we can irrigate so that really helps, but that isn't true of everyone, every place. We went to SW Mt to get a sideroll sprinker and it is dry in some areas along 1-94. Where we were going, they received 13" of wet snow on Monday night, June 8th!! I just see on the weather in that area, the elevations above 5000 ft are going to receive almost that much tomorrow night!!

I hope things go well for you during the audit. Thanks for staying in touch.
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Post by sweetbasil » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:15 pm

Hello Faster Horses,

Thank you for your post. They don't have a transition plan for when we might be going back to the office. Someone in the company responsible for helping employees improve their egornomics suggested for me to try to make changes with my current work at home setting, and that we are not going back to the office any time soon. In regards to the adjustable desk, I doubt I will get one to use while working from home. It will cost me about $500 for the adjustable desk and a used chair that would fit the table that I am using at home. She suggested for me to use my counter space, if I have it available to set-up my computers and change the work station. She also said that she used a block from her garage to elevated her feet. God blessed me with a lot in life, but he cut me short on the height, and in regards to this situation, my feet hang from the chair like "Cuties" on trees. I am using another little stool under the table to rest my feet and prevent them from taking naps on me. I could get the desk, but I would have a a challenge finding a desk chair to fit the table. I don't believe it is right for me to buy the office equipment for my company. I am planning on exploring other opportunities to make a decision in the Spring of 2021, but I will need to seek God's counsel in prayer and fasting before to help me "know" in my spirit what direction to take. I am trying to "Be Still" right now as I wait for some decisions that will impact my future before I pickup the momentum on what role I want to explore next. On a different note, it has been extremely windy here in the last couple of days. I am planning on meeting my mom later this month and drive back with her. We are planning on taking the Utah and Wyoming route, but I will need to monitor the weather forecast very closely before we get on the route. I am so looking forward to driving through Utah again, but we might need to take the southern route if there is snow. I hope that you'll have a great week.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Faster horses » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:43 am

sweetbasil wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:15 pm
Hello Faster Horses,

Thank you for your post. They don't have a transition plan for when we might be going back to the office. Someone in the company responsible for helping employees improve their egornomics suggested for me to try to make changes with my current work at home setting, and that we are not going back to the office any time soon. In regards to the adjustable desk, I doubt I will get one to use while working from home. It will cost me about $500 for the adjustable desk and a used chair that would fit the table that I am using at home. She suggested for me to use my counter space, if I have it available to set-up my computers and change the work station. She also said that she used a block from her garage to elevated her feet. God blessed me with a lot in life, but he cut me short on the height, and in regards to this situation, my feet hang from the chair like "Cuties" on trees. I am using another little stool under the table to rest my feet and prevent them from taking naps on me. I could get the desk, but I would have a a challenge finding a desk chair to fit the table. I don't believe it is right for me to buy the office equipment for my company. I am planning on exploring other opportunities to make a decision in the Spring of 2021, but I will need to seek God's counsel in prayer and fasting before to help me "know" in my spirit what direction to take. I am trying to "Be Still" right now as I wait for some decisions that will impact my future before I pickup the momentum on what role I want to explore next. On a different note, it has been extremely windy here in the last couple of days. I am planning on meeting my mom later this month and drive back with her. We are planning on taking the Utah and Wyoming route, but I will need to monitor the weather forecast very closely before we get on the route. I am so looking forward to driving through Utah again, but we might need to take the southern route if there is snow. I hope that you'll have a great week.
Sounds like you have a plan, to have a plan. Your patience is to be commended as is your faith.

It has been windy everywhere.
Have a safe trip.

sweetbasil
Rancher
Rancher

Post by sweetbasil » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:12 pm

Faster horses wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:43 am
sweetbasil wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:15 pm
Hello Faster Horses,

Sounds like you have a plan, to have a plan. Your patience is to be commended as is your faith.

It has been windy everywhere.
Have a safe trip.
Thank you, Faster Horses!