• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

FUN EVENING PLAYING CRIBBAGE By Steve Moreland – February 27, 2020

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
FUN EVENING PLAYING CRIBBAGE
By Steve Moreland – February 27, 2020

On Wednesday evenings, Cody's Husker Hub hosts "cribbage night." Usually there are about seven or eight cribbage players that show up, and the card games are run tournament style. The entry fee is $6.00 each time, and names are drawn to see which players are teamed up for the first round. If there is an extra, a "bye" happens, and that person sits out until the next round. When the card games have been completed, first place gets half the pot, second place gets 30 percent, and third place gets the other 20 percent of the proceeds. In the past six weeks I have enjoyed attending four of these events.

When a player loses two rounds, they are "out" for that night. Two weeks ago, I lost my first two games and went home early. Last night my luck was considerably better. Before the evening was completed I had won all four of the tournament games, and won another game that was played just for fun. On the last game for the championship of the evening, I even managed to "skunk" my opponent. This was largely due to two separate 20-point hands in that particular game. There were seven of us signed up, so my first-place winnings amounted to $21.00 (minus my $6.00 entry fee). Considering that the round of drinks I bought came to $22.75, I didn't end up losing too much money for the fun night of entertainment. The four Mountain Dew fountain drinks that I indulged in during the course of the five games gave me plenty of caffeine to drive home without getting sleepy.

I did almost get "skunked" myself, for real, as on the way home a little black and white furry beast scampered across the highway in front of me. A quick swerve saved the life of the skunk, and prevented my pickup from getting all stinky. Amazingly enough, even after consuming all that Mountain Dew, I slept like a baby for the rest of the night except for having to get up twice before the break of the new day.

I have come to the conclusion that playing cribbage has a lot of similarities to ranching in general and calving out a bunch of cows in particular. If the cards are good, it's easy to win. If the weather is good, it's easy to ranch. Bad cards and bad weather result in completely different final outcomes for both methods of spending time.

That has and always will be the secret of agriculture, but modern equipment sure makes taking advantage of good weather easy. I'm sure hoping for an easier spring for all involved.

Latest posts