• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Automated weighing

Help Support Ranchers.net:

RSL

Reaction score
We are looking at some upgrades to our handling system as our cowherd and our purebred herd grows. Currently we have a large NORAC scale that we use for weighing groups and individual cattle, but we are looking at some cement and a scale under our squeeze next year (maybe?). Just wondering what/if folks have used for automatic data collection with RFID tags and scale setups that they like and rough price estimates. We are currently thinking about a Tru-Test scale under the squeeze and a bluetooth type scale head.
Any thoughts or advice are appreciated...

We have a Tru Test seems to work fine but you have to remember to scan all of them.I thought I only missed one but the count wasn't right in the end.

I have a Tru-Test scale head with a bluetooth wand. Once you get the EIDs in the first time it is so easy to use that just about every time the cattle go through the alley they get weighed. We have the ID5000 scale head. The reader is easy to use, its range is somewhere around 12 inches. Any further away than that and you won't get a consistent read. I usually just touch the ear with it and it reads instantly. With the scale head set to record on ID capture, as soon as the animal's weight is stabilized it will record the weight. As soon as I finish up I can pair my phone up to the scale head and transfer the data to my phone. Then I e-mail the file to myself and import it into my records program. As a result I know that my cattle actually do average 1320 lbs.

This is foreign territory to me, but what software are you all using? The director has the iron, now it's time to take the next step. Got a batch of old cows leaving, and their replacements are destined to prove they can scale their wages. We have a portable Silencer and a shop built portable corral that will handle 200 pair. Process or load, or pour for flies, the cows are adapted. Looking at a under chute scale and wondering about how to handle data. The chute spends the winter working a backgrounding yard, but we keep it as clean as possible. The cows, I run on stalks. We can weigh cows once easy, the calves 3 times if they stay healthy.

Haytrucker said:
This is foreign territory to me, but what software are you all using? The director has the iron, now it's time to take the next step. Got a batch of old cows leaving, and their replacements are destined to prove they can scale their wages. We have a portable Silencer and a shop built portable corral that will handle 200 pair. Process or load, or pour for flies, the cows are adapted. Looking at a under chute scale and wondering about how to handle data. The chute spends the winter working a backgrounding yard, but we keep it as clean as possible. The cows, I run on stalks. We can weigh cows once easy, the calves 3 times if they stay healthy.

I've not personally used anything. I do know you need to provide a solid surface for the load bars or cells to set on. I'm not certain if a set of 2x6's to slide under would work or not. If my memory serves me right, You'll want to take the load bars offf the chute in transit as well.

We will probably start with a pad scale at the yard. I'm more interested in record keeping technology, the more automated the better, I think.

I use Ranch Manager for my record keeping and there are a few steps to get the information into the program. It might be able to accept information directly, I don't know as I have never tried. I really don't want my computer out in the corral. What I have to do is fairly painless to get the information directly into the program. There are probably other programs that would accept the data directly, I just don't have any experience with them to be able to say.

Thanks, rancherfred, after a review, I have a good start for research. I hope better late than never works for us. The five year plan will make good use of modern record keeping.

I would not want a solid cement slab under my chute.
I had mine supported at both ends sitting on a railroad tie. Poo would get packed in tight under the scales, so it would not weight correctly.
It was really hard to clean out. if didn't get it cleaned out quickly in winter, it was froze in and no more weights until spring.
Just changed it, but haven't used it yet. took out the ties crosswise at both ends so it is open under the middle, supported the chute by putting 9 ft ties down both sides of the chute, out under the frame the weight bars are hooked to. can easily get a shovel under there and dig stuff out. under the middle I have about a foot of open space for the crap to drop into.
at the back of the chute, I made a attachment that overlaps about 1/2" above the floor of the chute and inside about a inch, to try to keep more crap from working in there. this is made to easily lift out to clean it out.

Local get has a portable chute that has legs on each corner hydraulic to rsise it to put wheels on. That might be a option to clean under a chute setting on a concrete pad.

What ever you do, it has to be easy enough to clean out that it actually gets done.

Latest posts