• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

small bridges

Help Support Ranchers.net:

George

Reaction score
I have a creek that most of the time is about 6" deep and about 3' wide. I have my pasture divided into about 5 to 6 acre plots and the creek runs a zig zag thru most of them. When I walk them ( better for my health ) I have made crossings that keep my boots relatively dry.

I allow the local town to dump concrete refuse at my gravel pit for a fee and I then have made several crossings from the debris. It is nice when a header or smooth section of curbing come in. the area in the middle of this one is about 12" deep and 3' wide. I placed some broken sidewalk up the banks and a footer across the middle. Cheap and the dogs use them as well.

We use field stone and build a few "rock crossings" where we are able. sure beats getting stuck and walking miles home.
We are a little rural to get city side walk scraps but have used some pilings from and old shed.

George, you raise and care for some beautiful dogs. Must be a side affect to your resourceful nature, generally. I cannot fathom the water you deal with, out here we just fight mud on occasion.

I build "fords" as well where the bottom is not gravel so that I can drive thru - - - My grand kids take the golf cart everywhere and they like that they can use one of my fords any time the flood is not on. This little creek will get 10' deep and 50' wide several times a year but only for about a day or so. I just don't cross it at that time, I have to drive around and come in from the back side if I have to get there.

The cattle use these all the time - - - they will stand on the concrete and drink - - - on hot days they will walk on out as I placed concrete in the bottom of the "pool" as well about 3' to 4' deep.

Faster horses said:
If I was a cow, George, I would want to be yours. :D

thank you - - - we hit +84F last week and the cattle like the concrete bottom to the hole - - -

I am about 1/2 way done with calving so I call them up to the barn and feed one square bale a day so I can tag the new calves easily and then the new calves and mothers go out the east gate to the pasture with the other new calves. Makes it easy on both me and the cattle!

I had to buy hay for the first time I can remember and my cattle do not look the way I like them but I have good hay coming on and should not have that problem again.

Latest posts