FROM OUT OF THE MOUTHS OF BABES, by Steve Moreland, February 20, 2020

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Post Reply
User avatar
Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 16248
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:54 pm
Location: northern Nebraska Sandhills
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 32 times

FROM OUT OF THE MOUTHS OF BABES, by Steve Moreland, February 20, 2020

Post by Soapweed » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:57 am

FROM OUT OF THE MOUTHS OF BABES
By Steve Moreland, February 20, 2020

Yesterday, Carol went to pick up any grandkids that would be spending the day with us. When she arrived back home, not only did she have the two youngest that we knew would be here, but also one of the six-year-old twins came along as he was supposedly “sick” and unable to go to school, where he is in Kindergarten. He stayed home a couple days last week, as there are some illness bugs going around. He didn’t look particularly “under the weather,” so I had to tease him that maybe he was faking this time. I said, “George, at least cough.” He performed that task in practiced fashion, and we both grinned at each other.

I started to put on my outdoor gear, and had my lace-up overshoes on over my boots. As I was putting on my leather shotgun chaps, the three grandkids raced through the mudroom on their way to the basement. I said, “Here comes Sick George!” Then I proclaimed, “And here comes Well Rowan!” Watching me put on my chaps as she went by, five-year-old Rowan exclaimed, “And there is Weird Pants Grandpa!” I chuckled as they bounced on down the stairs.

Later in the day, I was telling my two sons this story. Brock had to laugh about his daughter Rowan. It seems that recently she was on hand when her mother was getting out of the shower. Rowan said, “Mom can I use this camera, I want to take your picture.” Her mother said, “Rowan, I am not wearing much, and it wouldn’t be nice to take my picture.” Rowan explained, “Well, Uncle Billy has pictures of ladies not wearing much on his refrigerator in his shop.” From out of the mouths of babes.



Haytrucker
Member
Member
Posts: 711
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:57 pm
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: FROM OUT OF THE MOUTHS OF BABES, by Steve Moreland, February 20, 2020

Post by Haytrucker » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:11 pm

A couple little ones live down the road, generally a couple funnies per week. The youngest has our vehicle fleet known to the point he recognizes us coming and going. Not calving this year, when the remodeling slows down, I might swing by Uncle Billy's!

User avatar
Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 16248
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:54 pm
Location: northern Nebraska Sandhills
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: FROM OUT OF THE MOUTHS OF BABES, by Steve Moreland, February 20, 2020

Post by Soapweed » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:36 pm

Haytrucker wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:11 pm
A couple little ones live down the road, generally a couple funnies per week. The youngest has our vehicle fleet known to the point he recognizes us coming and going. Not calving this year, when the remodeling slows down, I might swing by Uncle Billy's!
Actually "Uncle Billy" is full time ranching with us now. He sold his shop in town, and moved all of his equipment out to a shop on the ranch. This even included his 100-ton press, which was quite an undertaking in and of itself. He seems to like being around cattle again, and it is easier on his body than welding and working on cement all day every day.

User avatar
Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 28689
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:21 pm
Location: SE MT
Has thanked: 109 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: FROM OUT OF THE MOUTHS OF BABES, by Steve Moreland, February 20, 2020

Post by Faster horses » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:23 pm

Soapweed wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:36 pm
Haytrucker wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:11 pm
A couple little ones live down the road, generally a couple funnies per week. The youngest has our vehicle fleet known to the point he recognizes us coming and going. Not calving this year, when the remodeling slows down, I might swing by Uncle Billy's!
Actually "Uncle Billy" is full time ranching with us now. He sold his shop in town, and moved all of his equipment out to a shop on the ranch. This even included his 100-ton press, which was quite an undertaking in and of itself. He seems to like being around cattle again, and it is easier on his body than welding and working on cement all day every day.
Until you replied to Haytrucker, I never realized who 'Uncle Billy' was. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

User avatar
Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 21890
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:29 pm
Location: Big Muddy valley
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 68 times
Contact:

Re: FROM OUT OF THE MOUTHS OF BABES, by Steve Moreland, February 20, 2020

Post by Big Muddy rancher » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:17 pm

Grandkids sure are fun.
Tam and I ran out last night to grandkids and went to 8 year olds hockey games today. Tam and the 4 yr old didn't got to the first game but were to come for second. She didn't really want to go and said se would just stay home by herself. I think her Mom would of had a fit if Grandma showed up with out her,
Avatar by Haymaker

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Haytrucker
Member
Member
Posts: 711
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:57 pm
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: FROM OUT OF THE MOUTHS OF BABES, by Steve Moreland, February 20, 2020

Post by Haytrucker » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:40 pm

I bet I can get directions in town... I hope he still makes a knife or two.

DustDevil
Member
Member
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:27 am
Location: Upper Tx Gulf Coast
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: FROM OUT OF THE MOUTHS OF BABES, by Steve Moreland, February 20, 2020

Post by DustDevil » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:55 pm

You got a gut laff out if me !

DustDevil
Member
Member
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:27 am
Location: Upper Tx Gulf Coast
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: FROM OUT OF THE MOUTHS OF BABES, by Steve Moreland, February 20, 2020

Post by DustDevil » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:03 pm

I'm glad we had a visit to Sparky's world famous welding shop a few years back. I cain't imagine it as something else. I hope it doesn't turn into some kind of uppity artsy fartsy boutique. ; )-

User avatar
Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 16248
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:54 pm
Location: northern Nebraska Sandhills
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: FROM OUT OF THE MOUTHS OF BABES, by Steve Moreland, February 20, 2020

Post by Soapweed » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:32 pm

DustDevil wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:03 pm
I'm glad we had a visit to Sparky's world famous welding shop a few years back. I cain't imagine it as something else. I hope it doesn't turn into some kind of uppity artsy fartsy boutique. ; )-
With a leaky roof. :-)

Post Reply