winter 1949

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
mrj
Rancher
Rancher

Re: winter 1949

Post by mrj » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:20 pm

We do have the heifers all finished calving, and I believe it went quite well, as I heard few complaints. I know a couple were hauled the 32 miles to Vet clinic. I saw one pair going out the gate from corral/barn to the 'trap' a couple blocks from my 'east window' vantage point. The heifer has a large shaved area on her side, marking a C-section, so that at least seems to have ended as well as possible. Think it may have been the second one for the season. It's a dreary, drippy ('snain') morning and about 40%, so could be worse, and the little calves are happily running and bucking and eating and growing out there.

Brave Bull Creek about a block west of the house is dropping from it's 'full' point, so not worried about it invading our walk-out-basement door unless we get a couple inches of moisture too fast in the near future. (And, yes, I do regret the decision to build a full basement rather than a split level addition to our house those many years ago!!! Tho we have never in those 50+ years actually had water come in, and we did start building a berm once, but the water level started to drop as soon as the first bucket of dirt was placed! Brave Bull Creek originates about 20 or 25 miles to the s.w. of here, just east of Kadoka, and the drainage area goes at least that far to the s.e., along mostly the north side of I-90 almost to Okaton. I'm glad most of the south side of that stretch of I-90 drains to the south and the White River. Brave Bull and most of the other creeks on the north side of I-90 drain into the Bad River, which runs basically from Wall, to Ft. Pierre, SD where it empties into the Missouri River just upstream from the bridge across the river taking hiways 14 and 83 thru Pierre and onward to northern and eastern parts of SD.

There was a flood on Brave Bull Creek many years ago, maybe 1920's. I need to check that date for family younger than I. Anyway, it put 4' of water in the bunkhouse, which is on one end of Shorty's grandparents original ranch home, circa 190?, at the only flood to actually enter the house, which was built several feet above the previous 'hi water' level seen in the area. My father-in-law worried when we built our basement, but we have been lucky, and even back then, we had the machinery to throw up a berm, if needed, and it would only need to be about 20 feet long and two or three feet high to protect from even that 'old' flood level. mrj