Deciding where to buy land to start

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Rwilliams

Deciding where to buy land to start

Post by Rwilliams » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:12 am

I am in the process of selling my house so I can buy some property, raise cattle, and otherwise enjoy country life. The first 2 - 3 years would be strictly for my freezer and to see if I like the lifestyle change as much as I think I will.

Since my primary source of income allows me to work from home 100% of the time I am able to move anywhere in the country(USA), but I am currently looking at the Montana/Idaho/Eastern Washington area. Primarily because it is beautiful country and it would be a drastic change from South Texas where I currently live.

This past weekend I drove out to a local cattle ranchers place and talked to him about the realities of raising cattle in terms of costs, day to day tasks, etc. When I mentioned to him I was thinking the Northwest, specifically Montana, he shivered at the thought and started talking about the extreme cold and how it was a very challenging environment. When I asked him where he would choose based mainly on weather, but taking into consideration land prices he thought Northeast Texas or Southeast Oklahoma.

I would like to pose the same question to the experienced cattle ranchers here. Where would you choose? I will be posting the same question on a couple of other forums to try and get the question exposed to a diverse group of people.

Thanks in advance,
Robert

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Deciding where to buy land to start

Post by Faster horses » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:06 pm

All things considered, Texas or OK would be much cheaper to operate in.
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Big Muddy rancher » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:06 am

I'm in southern Saskatchewan just sitting on the northern border of eastern Montana.

It's only going to be 20 to 30 degrees below zero this next month, not really cold until the wind picks up. it only occasionally get to 40 below and for not more then a week or 10 days at a time.
That only happens in December, January, February and sometimes March.

Come do chores for me for a couple weeks and see how you like it. :cowboy:

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

webfoot

Post by webfoot » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:35 pm

Eastern Washington wont get that cold. Well maybe occasionally but certainly not every year. But I will tell you the trouble in that area. Before I retired in Western Washington I searched a lot for a place in the east side of the state. That would have put me a lot closer to family. I found nothing available that would work. I found a lot available in Eastern Oregon. The affordability depends on the housing on the ranch. There is a fair number where someone bought it and built a McMansion then decided they don't like the lifestyle. Of course they want to get paid for the house they built. Stay away from the Klamath Falls area. There are places that look pretty affordable but they are having serious water wars down there. Burns will look affordable but I can say my wife had a ranch in Harney County for 14 years. She says it is the arm pit of Oregon. But northeast Oregon is great in my opinion.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Faster horses » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:57 pm

Big Muddy rancher wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:06 am
I'm in southern Saskatchewan just sitting on the northern border of eastern Montana.

It's only going to be 20 to 30 degrees below zero this next month, not really cold until the wind picks up. it only occasionally get to 40 below and for not more then a week or 10 days at a time.
That only happens in December, January, February and sometimes March.

Come do chores for me for a couple weeks and see how you like it. :cowboy:
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :nod:
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

Hayguy
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Hayguy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:40 pm

any place but here today (southern Alberta) -34 Celsius in the heat of the day

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Big Muddy rancher » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:16 pm

Hayguy wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:40 pm
any place but here today (southern Alberta) -34 Celsius in the heat of the day
Wuss :D :cowboy: :nod: :lol2:

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

redrobin
Rancher
Rancher

Post by redrobin » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:06 am

North west Arkansas has plenty of variety.