Ranchers.net Bull Session

Global Roundtable for Sustainable Beef

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
Soapweed
Rancher
Rancher

Global Roundtable for Sustainable Beef

Postby Soapweed » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:20 am

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Global Roundtable for Sustainable Beef? I think it's a scary proposition. Listen to some of Dr. Jason Clay's ideas on life. He is with the WWF (World Wildlife Fund), which seems to be tied in with the GRSB. His philosophy is quite scary also.

https://grsbeef.org/

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Global Roundtable for Sustainable Beef

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:18 pm

I have read some of their information and had a friend who attended the GRSB.

I attended one CRSB. Sustainability means different things to different people. One fellow uses implants in the cattle in his feedlot and McDonalds said if that's what it takes to be sustainable it was OK with them.A&W just sat there not saying anything cause they went their own direction.
They seem to come up with initiatives for the rancher ie. documentation ect but no reward over commodity beef. McDonalds has a program for "Verified Beef" which is an improved version of Quality Starts Here program but again is the cost is pushed back to the primary producer.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

graybull

Postby graybull » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:26 pm

Definitely have some thoughts..........

Once you accept the idea that beef production is not sustainable or that you need to prove beef production sustainability under some entities guidelines………….you have lost the battle.

Nature and natural processes have been proven to be sustainable for tens of thousands of years……….why should we accept that certain men have decided otherwise? That arrogance is unbelievable.

No shortage of out of touch folks wanting to dictate to you about how you can run your ranch.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... inability/

Traveler
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Traveler » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:56 pm

I agree with graybull. I also have to ask, WTH is NCBA doing on there?

https://grsbeef.org/page-1861857

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:04 pm

Traveler wrote:I agree with graybull. I also have to ask, WTH is NCBA doing on there?

Trying to steer it in the right direction I would guess same as Canadian Cattlemens Association is on CRSB.
It's a fine line between watching ones interests to validating something by association. :?

I can't tame wild women.

Traveler
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Traveler » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:10 pm

Big Muddy rancher wrote:
Traveler wrote:I agree with graybull. I also have to ask, WTH is NCBA doing on there?

Trying to steer it in the right direction I would guess same as Canadian Cattlemens Association is on CRSB.
It's a fine line between watching ones interests to validating something by association. :?

I think I would rather see their position as flat out opposition to the basic premises, than part of a steering committee.

If they're not careful, they may not end up with enough moral high ground to point out the folly of the alleged associations of OCM, RCALF, HSUS, and PETA. Not making a direct comparison, but slopes do get slippery.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:31 pm

I do know the WWF rep on the CRSB was in favor of implants as it meant more beef with fewer cattle.
Hoping they can steer the carbon debate towards rewarding the rancher for sequestering carbon in the grasslands and also reward for providing SAR habitat.

I can't tame wild women.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:35 pm

I am on the edge on this if you can't tell. I don't like the idea of some of the ORG's telling us what to do but do we ignore the processors and retailers that sell our product? They are sitting at that table.

I can't tame wild women.

redrobin
Rancher
Rancher

Postby redrobin » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:51 am

We have accepted that a usda roll provides safety and quality. Neither are true. It’s time to deregulate and let my local processor, process and package my meat for sale without the necessity of governmental oversight. Mexican, Canadian, African, brazillian, meat isn’t safer or cleaner than the meat processed by the butcher in my town. He obviously couldn’t afford an inspector nor the useless compliance hassle.

Angus 62

Postby Angus 62 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:17 am

If you want to learn more about GRSB there is a great YouTube video by a guy named Tracy Hunt. A rancher and former attorney from New Castle WY, Tracy has spent a lot of time researching this train wreck.

If the goal of WWF is fewer cattle, then they are also in favor of fewer ranchers. The conduct of JBS around the world speaks for itself. How many actual producers vacationed in New Orleans last week at the NCBA convention :shock: ?

Angus 62

Postby Angus 62 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:24 am

Oh, and how much of YOUR Checkoff dollars is NCBA using to promote GRSB?

Traveler
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Traveler » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:25 am

Angus 62 wrote:Oh, and how much of YOUR Checkoff dollars is NCBA using to promote GRSB?

That was something that crossed my mind for sure. None of the organizations got on there without a stiff pay to play.

Return to “Ranch Talk”