Ranchers.net Bull Session

Interesting Read

Things that come up in the daily operation of a ranch.
lavacarancher

Interesting Read

Postby lavacarancher » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:27 pm

Just finished reading the post on "Rotary Mowers" and it's kinda interesting the equipment brand differences between what you folks use where you are and us folks down South. For example, you folks talk about using 16' mowers (or bigger) and cutting a 100 acres a day. Don't know how you do that. I have a 9' 6" Kuhn that runs all day without breaking but it will choke a 140HP tractor (IH 1486). Usually have to drop down to 2nd or 3rd gear when cutting. Also I have heard of Heston, and Vermeer equipment but rarely see any of it in the field. The other brands you mention I've never heard of. Swathers are something else that is foreign to us (me). For my operation a swather would just mean one more piece of equipment to maintain. And I haven't seen a sickle type mower being used to cut hay in 20 years, maybe more. Seems to me hitting a rock with a sickle mower would be catastrophic with hair, teeth and eyeballs being spit all over the place.

I'm not saying any of this is bad, just different. By the way, our (my) hay grasses are Coastal Bermuda, Bluestem, Gordo Bluestem, Bohia, Tifton 85, Jiggs.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Interesting Read

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:15 pm

I hit lots of rock with my sickle mower, change lots of section and guards but I have been told with the rocks we have a discbine would be worse.I had a 18ft New Holland pivot tongue haybine and switched to 2 -18ft double 9 sickle mowers. Put it together with a 18 wheel V rake and roll it up with a Vermeer 506N round baler.
I'm sure parts of the country/continent have different methods for there particular area. I'm the only one around here that I know of that uses mowers but lots of guys use sickle bar haybines.

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:06 pm

I hit my share of rocks with my discbine, blades are quicker, easier and cheaper than guard and sections. Gcreek cuts hay in a rock quarry with a disbine, and can tell us what his maintenance difference is over the sickle bar haybines.
Every area seems to have it's ways of doing things.

Faster horses
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Faster horses » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:05 pm

Like Pat Parelli says, "normal changes evey 50 miles."
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

Big Muddy rancher
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Muddy rancher » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:33 pm

Silver wrote:I hit my share of rocks with my discbine, blades are quicker, easier and cheaper than guard and sections. Gcreek cuts hay in a rock quarry with a disbine, and can tell us what his maintenance difference is over the sickle bar haybines.

I guess I won't know for sure until I try one but have also been told it would be a ragged cut in this thin dry stuff we grow/ :???:

I can't tame wild women.

But I can make tame women wild.

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby gcreekrch » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:26 am

Big Muddy rancher wrote:
Silver wrote:I hit my share of rocks with my discbine, blades are quicker, easier and cheaper than guard and sections. Gcreek cuts hay in a rock quarry with a disbine, and can tell us what his maintenance difference is over the sickle bar haybines.

I guess I won't know for sure until I try one but have also been told it would be a ragged cut in this thin dry stuff we grow/ :???:

Thinking your rocks are smaller, loose ones. They and discbines don't like each other. You can get lift kits but then you would be over top of your crop.........
Don't tell people your problems, half of em' don't care and the other half are glad you got em' We can all run the neighbors better'n our own

jodywy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby jodywy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:32 am

been told rotary won't cut thin hay, well I found out it cut about the same as a sickle bar. they both push lite stuff over. now on a hydro swing rotary , Rolan Gardner (Rulon Brother) custom cuts with one , he hate rock just smaller then your head on the end of a turn , when the tractors at a 90degrees with the header. He says side doors are a lot more expensive then back windows...
"Every once in a while, I’m overwhelmed by the feeling that I’ve done something REALLY STUPID." -Hank (Hank the Cow Dog ,John R. Erickson)

littlejoe
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littlejoe » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:50 pm

Big Muddy rancher wrote:I hit lots of rock with my sickle mower, change lots of section and guards but I have been told with the rocks we have a discbine would be worse.I had a 18ft New Holland pivot tongue haybine and switched to 2 -18ft double 9 sickle mowers. Put it together with a 18 wheel V rake and roll it up with a Vermeer 506N round baler.
I'm sure parts of the country/continent have different methods for there particular area. I'm the only one around here that I know of that uses mowers but lots of guys use sickle bar haybines.

I look at new swathers and wonder "did they think they were building a combine, or what?!" them things are huge, hi powered and priced accordingly. And to replace the mower I started out with?!

What you're doing makes total sense to me---and i'll bet sundrying full width for a bit beats buying,maintaining and powering conditioners all to heck.

James

Postby James » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:21 pm

I use a rowse double 9 for my haying dries quicker use 16 wheel rake, I do find in the fine grasses that it streaks I have seen windrowers do the same.
Too soar with the eagles you have to get out of the turkey pen

Haytrucker

Postby Haytrucker » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:52 pm

I've heard a Claas triple mower will cut 30 acres an hour. We scrape it off and flip 50 blades in 20 minutes. Grease in about the same. Last year I swathed a big half circle of alfalfa and hauled the MacDon home in ten hours on a good day. The Claas will road there and back after swathing in about 3 hours. It will cut 40 acres of smooth hay per hour. Scrapes over the short stuff and bounces across rocks like all of them. Three decks cut 35 feet, nearly full width conditioners. I'd like to say it saves drying time but this year you can't tell for the humidity. It will stay ahead of 2 balers running 4 hours a day. Yes it cuts for more than 2 balers, but that's all we have. Had to get another rake outfit and trade some baling. I don't think we know how many acres it will cut in a full day, but I saw a circle cut after 5 pm a couple weeks ago and he stopped for a quick supper. Done by 9. I'm not bragging but this machine is amazing. Yes, a bunch is custom work.

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:08 pm

Big Muddy rancher wrote:

They do prefer a heavier crop.

jodywy
Rancher
Rancher

Postby jodywy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:55 pm

James wrote:I use a rowse double 9 for my haying dries quicker use 16 wheel rake, I do find in the fine grasses that it streaks I have seen windrowers do the same.

if a sickle bar runs over and leaves it so will a rotary
"Every once in a while, I’m overwhelmed by the feeling that I’ve done something REALLY STUPID." -Hank (Hank the Cow Dog ,John R. Erickson)

Return to “Ranch Talk”