• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

automatic or standard

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
Because of the storm the other night I'm pretty sure my trailer pulling truck is getting wrote off.
It is a 1997 Dodge Cummins 4x4 2500 with 220Km or 136,000 miles Still a great puller but is beat to hell. Looking around at newer trucks about a 2012 with similar mileage most of them have automatic transmission, I prefer the standard.
What's work for everybody out there?

I prefer a standard tyranny, but clutches cost half as much as a rebuilt auto, and last half as long. Not always my money, but all my experience. If you trailer in any hills, I'd want a clutch, or whatever is behind the 6.7 Ford. No experience with the others, but I don't need any.

Standards aren't even available in most of them........maybe a Ram 3500.

The automatic in my son's 2015 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 gas took a crap recently, at 56000 miles, not an awful lot of pulling.

I found a 012 Ram 3500 with a 6 speed, trying to contact the seller now.
Every other one I have seen is a auto. We are in the hills, they are so big a Duramax can only go down them.

I had to.

Mr. FH thought he would NEVER have an automatic....but he has one and is happy with it. Actually it's the second one he has had
in a Dodge 3500 4x4. This last one he insisted on an Asien transmission and he is tickled to death with it. I'll send you his phone number and he can tell you why he wanted the Asien transmission. It gets ahold quicker....or something like that :???: :lol: . Oops! He LOST his phone--flip phone--had to get one from Amazon!! It should be here on Friday the 13th!! I'll message you our house phone number, or he can call you.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Every other one I have seen is a auto. We are in the hills, they are so big a Duramax can only go down them.

I had to.

When they get to the bottem, do they have to pull the cab, sandblast the box and let all the air outa the spare to change an injector?

littlejoe said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

I had to.

When they get to the bottem, do they have to pull the cab, sandblast the box and let all the air outa the spare to change an injector?
yes I have had 2 sets of injectors but truck is over 400,000 miles too... most all of it in mountains, now the hills

If you go with the Dodge, you'll be glad you got the Aisin transmission, worth the extra bucks. I don't understand why they put a good transmission in some and a crappy one in others...
Lots of hold back with all three brands these days even with their automatics, I don't think there is a wrong choice. I now have the Ford, 440 HP and 935 ft lbs, it's a beast and actually gets really good mileage.

Faster horses said:
Mr. FH says the exhaust brake is the best on the Dodge; after having conversations with others that have both Ford and Dodge.

Boy, that's a pretty close call. The Chev has a good one too. Pre 2017 I would agree with Mr. FH, but now things have changed and in my opinion too close to call.

That could be, as ours is 2016. They were talking about this at Mr. FH birthday party and it was the conscencus. They could have been talking about ones older than 2017. It's good they have them installed at the factory now. Before that, Mr. FH always added them because he maintained they have figured out how to make them go fast, but not how to slow them down. We take our travel trailer off the Big Horn Mountains and he wouldn't be without the exhaust brake. It's steep coming down.

Come to think of it the comments were from guys who have both newer Dodge and Ford. I'll have to find out if they are both
2018's. Now I am curious.

I wonder if Dodge ever figured out to let the exhaust brake work at lower speeds. My 2010 it automatically cut out at somewhere around 25 mph, it was very frustrating.

I suppose they all have their good and bad points but for me the only automatic for pulling is the Allison. I'm on my second Duramax/Allison and I'm well pleased. First one went a little over 300K with -0- problems with the transmission - none, nada, nothing. Of course I changed the fluid and filter every 50K. I don't know any owner of a Dodge or Ford that can say the same. The perfect truck would be a Ford chassis, Cummins engine with Allison transmission. JMO

lavacarancher said:
I suppose they all have their good and bad points but for me the only automatic for pulling is the Allison. I'm on my second Duramax/Allison and I'm well pleased. First one went a little over 300K with -0- problems with the transmission - none, nada, nothing. Of course I changed the fluid and filter every 50K. I don't know any owner of a Dodge or Ford that can say the same. The perfect truck would be a Ford chassis, Cummins engine with Allison transmission. JMO
like I said, and still running and over 400,000 miles

lavacarancher said:

friend has a 03 ford 6.0 diesel 330000 miles original trans and he's hard on it

Latest posts